3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Broadhead Test Worth Reading....  (Read 661 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Broadhead Test Worth Reading....
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Keep it coming!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Keep it coming!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
I understand your hesitation to point out the chronic failures.

BUT!, I personally believe knowing about the few bad heads is just as important ( if not more ) than knowing about the good ones.

Thanks for the info....
..now spill the dirt..lol   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Keep it going Andy, tis the season for some good reading  :thumbsup:  Thanks for the input!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Just want to copy this from one of Andy's original posts....

"Im am in two minds as to actually Name the heads iv seen break and bend "consistently", I am only putting this information up to help other hunters and can think of nothing worse then someone booking a hunt of the lifetime and having the head they choose Fail them. So I think if you want to know Just PM me."

Probably best to do it through pm like Andy said, but please don't bomb him with too many pm's....

I've already gotten 6-7 pm's and wasn't even the one who did the test.

His findings will surprise a lot of folks, but don't pressure him to spill the beans...just let him share what he feels appropriate...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
:campfire:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Good stuff!
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Thanks Andy and Curt for sharing this good infos.
I haven't the chance to see as many animals killed as Andy,but I have used a VPA Terminator myself this year and I am been really impressed how tough these points are,and how esy they resharpen.I am experiencing multi kills with the same head,broken bones,skull and ground/dirt shots and the heads are still in perfect conditions,just few strokes and ready again.Unreal!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Andy.  Good stuff for sure.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I want to know what kind of bone if any the VPA hit going through the buff
The older I get the better I was

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Thank you Andy for that report!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Good stuff. thanks Andy and Curt. I just got a few of the 300vpa's. Ive had good results so far. In fact the only complete passthroughs (arrow in the ground on the other side) Ive had on hogs was with this head and razorcaps. I think about 8 hogs total. I'll go a little farther and say that that was with bows from 47lb to 59lb and Ive been 100 percent with the above mentioned heads. I'll admit Ive used an arrow weight between 650 and 700gns with these heads. Ive got some of the high dollar heads too. they are great but I'll be sticking with the vpa's until I find something that works better for me.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Good info, will check back later when more is posted.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I love my 3 blade Terminators. I am currently trying out the Grizzlies (by the way how did they perform), but if they don't impress me I will definately be going back to the Terminators.
James Kerr

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
Andy, did arrow weight play any part?  VPA are like having your cake and eating it to.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »
The VPA pictured at the start of this thread is one i shot a different Buffalo with, Quartering away shot as you can see and it came out the far side through a rib, but did not have the arrow competitively Pass through, just complete penetration. With the braodhead and about 4 inches of shaft sticking out the far side.

The Head that passed clean through a Buffalo was shot at a broadhside Bull and hit ribs on both entrance and exist.

The bow was a 75lb at 28" compound Arrows were a total weight of 700grs.

Yes bow and arrow weight play a part. But
Iv seen as low as 65lbs to as high as 85lbs
and arrows as low as 550grs to 1050grs.

Those are not that important though, Arrow flight is a massive factor for all hunting and becomes critical for the big game.

A well tuned bow and perfect arrow flight REALLY goes a long way to making things work as they should and perform to its optimum. So tuning it very important!!

There is no point having a great head, high FOC, heavy arrow that is flying like crap!... just the same its no good having a perfectly tuned arrow with good weight, high FOC and a Crap Broadhead on the front.

Its these critical factors that can let you down and they are the vital ones to address and eliminate.

Again your bowhunting set-up is only as good as the weakest piece of gear or factor in it. The idea is that its ironed out until you (the Human) is left as the weakest part of the set-up. Then all you have to worry about is yourself screwing up not your gear.    :cool:    :D    

Another thing that is worth bringing up again is good FOC, I have no doubt it increases penetration.  But i don't go crazy with formula's and such, I just shoot a heavy head, get it tuned perfect and see where the FOC ends up. Which is usually around 18% to 22% FOC if i get bored and decide to measure it.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
Andy, just want to thank you for your hard work and sharing with us what I think is very true also.  I'm glad to see this thread and feel the same.  I've talking with a friend of mine heading to Australia soon and told him exactly the same as you have stated here.  GET THAT ARROW FLYING LIKE A DART!!!  Thanks again Andy.   :readit:

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
To paraphrase Fred Asbell (one of my favorite writers), go back and reread Andy's post above. Probably the clearest post I've seen on this whole broadhead debate to date.

I'm afraid Dr. Ashby's reports (which have a lot of great stuff to them) are leading archers to make decisions that are not taking the whole picture into account.  Dr. Ashby's reports do say that a perfect flying arrow is one of the most important factors in penatration (along with structural integrety), but it seems like everyone skips right to the two blade single bevel head as the holy grail.

I love my Kustom King Trailmaker heads for whitetails, which are manufactured by VPA. They fly excellent, sharpen nicely and are structurally sound.  The blood trails are like none that I've ever had. I can't ask for any more from my broadhead.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
GREAT read, keep it coming!   :campfire:    :coffee:
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Great info. Thank you Andy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©