3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are 1 Pair of Swarovski's Worth 2 Vortex Vipers?  (Read 654 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Are 1 Pair of Swarovski's Worth 2 Vortex Vipers?
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I have a pair of 8.5 x 42 Swarovski EL's, and absolutely love them.  But I'm wondering if I might be better served to sell them and get two pair of great quality binoculars as a replacement.

I recently won a pair of Vortex binoculars in 6 x 32 and am completely impressed with the quality, clarity, and function of these binoculars.  I think they will certainly become my go to whitetail hunting binoculars.

The quality of the Vortex glass has got me to thinking.  My current Swarovski's have held their value very well - obviously that is a testament to the quality.  But realistically, I could probably sell these Swaro's and end up with more than enough to buy a pair of Vortex 8x42's plus another pair of 15x50's.  

If the Vortex quality is anything like the ones that I recently acquired I think I would be very happy with both.  And it would give me two pair of very good quality glass that cover a wider range of applications than one pair of top of the line.

For those of you with experience with high quality glass, what are your thoughts?  Would you give them up knowing that you would probably never be able to afford going back to them in the future?

On the one hand I really love the Swarvo's and they could serve me well for the rest of my life.  On the other hand, a pair of 15 x 50's would sure be nice in long distance glassing situations, and the Vortex 8x42's are a very high quality glass in their own right.  While maybe not quite the equal to the Swarvo's, the differnce is relatively small.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are 1 Pair of Swarovski's Worth 2 Vortex Vipers?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Very interesting question. I, too, have a great pair of Swarovskis but never really pondered selling them for two good quality binocs. Mine are 8x32 SLCs (?) and I love them, got them at a great deal, and could never justify buying a new pair of the same.

However, I don't use them to their best potential (I don't "glass" for long periods of time.)

I guess for me I will hang on to them because I know I'd regret parting company with them, AND I can sort of justify spending even a couple hundred bucks on some good glass of a different power that would serve my needs very adequately.

It's definitely a personal choice. I think I'd hang on to them.
Romans 8:28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Hmmmmm  It is a dilemma.  Vortex is good quality glass.  Part of your dilemma is that the 6x will do everything you want the 8.5x to do in Wisconsin's woods.  At the same time, 10x,12x or 15x would make a better glass than 8.5 x for spotting in Western states. I'm not familiar with all of Vortex' offerings, but I'd lean more toward a 10x or 12X if they make them, rather than a 15X, which can get pretty large and heavy and more difficult to hold steady for long range glassing.

I faced a somewhat similar dilemma as while back.  Had a pair of 8x32 Leicas binovids and wanted to upgrade. I considered the Leica 8x12x variable, but ended up getting the new 8x32 ultravids.  Really more power than I need for the northwoods of Wisconsin, but the light gathering and clarity/crispness is unbelievable.  I don't sit and glass that much in my Western hunting, so though a pair of 10x or 12x would have been a nice to have, they weren't a must have.  My 8x32s work just fine out there for what I need them for.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I really really like the Vortex and they are great bang for the buck IMHO . My Swarvos' are great but I'd never spend that kinda money again because I can get great [ not as good but pretty darn close ] quality optics for a lot less money .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
Joe, I'm in the same boat....I could never afford to replace my Leicas that I bought back in 2000 now.

I've never thought about selling them though.  I still say they are the best "investment" I've ever made in my hunting gear!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Not high odds, but I have those exact two pair of binoculars, and no others.  I bought the prior year 6x32 Viper on closeout because I wanted something smaller, lighter, and less power for deer in the woods, and now I'm using them most of the time and really like them.

I think Vortex is getting better all the time, and closing the gap.  The perception from some that they aren't good glass may be because they have a big product line from cheap to expensive - the Diamondbacks are great bang for the buck.  Their warranty is great.  The Swaros are obviously great, but because they are built like a tank they are bulky.  

I think it's a good question because used Swaros sell for 50-75% of retail (typically), and you can pick up glass that is maybe 90% as good for 50% of the price, and have more versatility.  It is like a lot of products - a little better sometimes costs a lot more, and whether it is worth it is pretty dang subjective.  I plan on keeping the Swarovskis because I picked them up used myself and never plan on buying an expensive pair of binoculars again.  Unfortunately, I will probably lose them somehow before they die of natural causes.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Since I consider you a good friend, I will be frank.

No. Do not do it.  Absolutely not.

You do get what you pay for and if you have not had them sitting side by side on that New Mexico mountainside for a full day, you are not going to notice how big that "little" bit of quality difference you see in the store is.

I just looked thru a bunch of glass at Cabelas a couple weeks ago.  You CAN see a difference just in the store between the Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica and all the others.

Let's look at this another way...do you think Vortex (your choice, but fill in Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell Elite, any 2nd tier glass)  is not charging you the same price as the Leica/Swaro/Zeiss because they feel bad making more money off you and want to give you a break, or because their product is not equal to them?

If you want some 15s, save up and buy the good ones, you WILL see things you will not in the lesser.  I can fill you in on a place with very good prices that will let you demo a few different high/mid range optics.  Mount them on tripods and look thru them in all conditions...like dawn and dusk for a few   DAYS and you will send back the cheaper pair.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Whip,

If it helps I did almost exactly that...I came across an excellent buy on a set of Zeiss 10x40 Conquest Binoculars a couple years back...  They were heavy... higher power than I needed and I was caring a lot of $$ around my neck.  I sold them got a great deal on a set of Leupold 8x42 gold rings and followed this up with a very cheap but extremely nice waterproof set of their Yosmite 6x30's for use in the dark timber on the coast of WA while elk hunting..

I could not be happier...the 8x42's are just fine for mule deer hunting in wide open country and the 6x30 with the light  they allow in dark circumstances is great.. by the way, the clarity of them is way better than I had expected.
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I say you ALREADY have the perfect pair right now.  You have a great new pair of glasses to use when a lightweight close up pair (in the woods) is needed.  No hours and hours of straight glassing needed, although mine are inseparable from my eyes for the first and last 30 minutes of legal shooting.

Then there's the GREAT 8.5s that will let you see anything that you can walk to.  Easy to glass for long periods of time which you might need in the mountains or prairies.  You may not be able to judge them perfectly at 8,5 if they are REALLY FAR, but you WILL KNOW if you want to get closer for a second look.  Finally, anything over 10 will eventually put you in a bind with heat waves, and/or not being able to hold them still enough.

JMHO, but think long and hard about it before you give up those ELs.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Superb glass is superb glass. I'll probably never sit in the mountains with my 7X42 Leica's but I know if I ever want to they won't let me down. Tried for years to justify spending the money for a good pair of glasses and finally took the plunge. Don't take a step back, you'll regret it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Keep the Swarovski's
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Oh, and to further dissuade you from doing something you are going to regret...

I had a pair of 10x42 Leicas for at least 10 years.  I hunted everywhere with them.  I decided to sell them to help finance a pair of 10-15 x 50 Duovids AND a pair of 8x32 Ultravids.  Just about the same thing you are thinking of doing.  I thought the 8x32s would be better in the close cover.  What I realized is I was    NEVER at a disadvantage in the timber with the 10s.  So, a few weeks ago I found a great deal on a pair of Zeiss 10 x 42 FLs.     I have everything covered now; big eyes, little eyes, and just right.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
UUMMMM,
What SteveO said.

Had my Swarovskis since Sept, 1996. I will buy another pair of glasses,but I will never sell theses green beauties. Swarovskis customer service is top notch as well.

You know whats best for you though Joe,

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Joe,

I can't offer firm advice because I've never looked through Vortex optics.  I've heard they are good but have no first-hand experience.  

Having said that, however, I have a history (since 1975) of going on at least one Alaskan hunt every year where spotting with binoculars is precisely how you hunt.  Binoculars and spotting scopes are not an afterthought.  They are the key to the hunt.  In that type of hunting I'd have to agree with Steve & others who have said to not compromise with optic quality.  

I have hunted several decades now with first Zeiss followed by Leica binoculars (Leica for the past 20 or so years).  Never a problem and the glass has been USED hard, long, and put in the barn wet.  I have always out-spotted my hunting mates and believe it's at least partially attributable to the fact that I'm using the best glass available.  

For hunting where glassing is not the primary way you hunt then second-tier glass may be a good value.  If glassing is HOW you hunt then top-quality glass is the last place I'd compromise.

It was good to see you in Portland and I look forward to visiting some more at other gatherings.  Take care and be well.

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
This post brings tears to my eyes.  A couple years ago I laid down my Leica 10x50's on a camp table at an RV campground overlooking Homer, Alaska.  I drove off, and when I came back 1/2 hour later somebody had already picked them up.  Recently I looked at the Vortex Bino's.  They look like good glass but will never stand up the Leica's I foolishly lost.  I bought the Leica for $800 and they are up to about $2800...still hanging my head in shame.   :(
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Steve and John nailed it.  If you are doing any hunting at all where you need to be glassing I just don't think the Vortex will be what you want.  Glass with them and your Swaro's a few hours tomorrow morning and I think you will answer your own question.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Joe,

First, it was good visiting with you last week in Portland.

Next, don't do it, the risk of not being able to go back to the EL's may not be worth it.  

If I was set on trying 15x, and I have been close a few times,  I would find a way to save up or find a way to
acquire a pair to  test for a few days or use on a hunt.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
I hear what you're saying, and sure do appreciate the high end glass.  What has got me to even thinking about this is the fact that the vast majority of my hunts don't require hour after hour of time behind the glass.  And that is where I think you can really notice the differences.  Sure the expensive glass is better, but not by leaps and bounds.  The Vortex is darn good.  As good as the Swaro's?  Of course not.  

I really love these 6x32's and they are going to be perfect for virtually all of my Wisconsin and midwest hunting.  The 8x42's are a step up for longer distances typically found out west.  

The gap in my optics is on very long ranges.  I really dislike spotting scopes and trying to look through them with one eye.  A pair like the Vortex 15x50's on a tripod would be just the ticket for checking details on animals spotted at long distances.

I can imagine there might be a few hunts left in my future where I might appreciate the best of the best.  A trip to Alaska might be one of them, maybe high country mule deer.  But for the vast majority of the trips that I do year after year, Vortex Viper HD's would be more than adequate.  And having a good quality pair of high powered binoculars would offer a real advantage in many situations that my current binos just can't provide.

Maybe I will decide to keep these - just giving it some thought at the moment.  Obviously the easy answer is just keep what I have and spring for another pair of high powered glass.  But that isn't really the question I'm asking right now.

Thanks for all the input!  It is appreciated and taken to heart!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Joe, does this mean I won't be seeing those Vortex's in the classifieds again?   :D
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
Ryan, nope, those are gone.  The 8x28's that I had won got traded in toward the 6x32's and I love these!

Walt, it was good to see you again as well!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©