3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting journal  (Read 305 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting journal
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
So I got to thinking today about Fred Bears field notes and how I use to write down if I saw a new bird or plant when I was in the woods.  And I gave that up around the age of 16, due to who know why, but my father always told me to note new thing for reference later and like any other kid I threw his advice away but now that I am a father myself and 30 y/I I want to be able to re-live my hunts past.

So how many of you make a small note or journal of your woodland and even fishing trips?

When I tried before it became no fun because I think I tried to put too much detail in it, but IDK
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting journal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
I keep a hunting journal, but usually only write about/during my out of state hunts.  It's a shame, because I've had a lot of good hunts right close to home that I should have written about.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
I have to journal everything since I started having seizures.  I cannot remember much, so I jot down things in enough detail so I can recall the real detail.   I think that may be all you need.  A journal, some code abbreviations and a keen eye and fast pen.  Not a bad idea when married with a pic or two.   Your grandkids will love it
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Gummi Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I scribble notes in a calendar.  What I saw, what I harvested, things that stand out.

Like you, I wish I had written down more extensive notes in years past.  I went about 10 years without recording anything.

My grandfather used to keep a calendar and a notepad on the table.  He'd sit and scribble in them every morning while having coffee.  He'd record who he talked to, how much rain, critters he'd seen, fish he'd caught, all that stuff.  After he passed, all that stuff kind of disappeared, and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about when I asked.  It's one of the things I remember about him, sitting and talking over coffee, bacon and eggs while recording his thoughts.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. - Mark Twain

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Kept a journal for the last few seasons, mainly of waterfowl hunts and such. I got to record special times with me and the kiddos, and I get to remember the very dumb things that inevitably happen to me in God's creation.

I don't really go for all of the wind direction, what worked or what didn't. I try to focus only on aesthetics and enjoyment of the memory.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
I keep a short record in a pocket montly calendar. Sometimes a trick to get all I want to write in the small square for each day...it is fun though a few years later to look through them.For me having the dates that something note worthy took place, is nearly equal to what I wrote.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
I might try the daily pocket calendar as a journal trick. That way I'm just noting the important or story telling items not trying to write a dissertation .
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
In the last few years I carry a little notepad and pencil along with my pocket Nikon when I go to the woods. It seems that I'm forever finding new things that I never seen before, so just a note and a pic, for my memory jog. They help alot when scouting an area,so much so I scout even old areas I've used and seem to find clues that were not picked up before. When I get home I pull out the pad and put them on my computer along with the pics. A very valuable tool for forgetful me.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Been keeping a hunting journal for about 30 years.  Don't go back and read them as often as I should.  Always enjoyable when I do.  They often bring back a location/set of circumstances/tips that I can use in my current hunting efforts.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
I have been keeping a camp log since I built my camp in 1993.Anyone who wants to post about the hunt or weekend can and makes intresting reading going back and relive the memories.I am on my third composition at this time.I also have a photo album that will also complement the log book.KIP

Online 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I use the Rite in the Rain Bow Hunting Journal for all of my hunts since I got out of college. Figured I would want to remember them when I am older. I like that journal as it has a page for hunt details and a back page just for writing notes. I have on occasion gone over the page worth of notes, but rather not leave out any details.
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I started a notebook back in '87 titled "Hunting Notes and Lies". I am up to volume VIII now and soon will have it filled.

What started as hunting field notes became a diary of sorts where I would jot down family news, notable weather, my thoughts, etc, and of course, hunting notes. I really like to read back to relive a special hunt or family event. They settle disagreements with my Mother-in-law on occasion too!  :)

My two daughters know these notebooks are important to me and to someday pass them on to my four grandaughters. I want them to know what made Pappy tick.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
I have tried, but I am just not a journaler.  I worked hard to keep one on my moose hut this last fall.  I am glad I did, but it was tough to make myself do it each night before I went to bed.  Part of it is the physical act of writing is tough for me.  I would probably do beter if Idid it digitally, as I can type a lot faster than I can scribe legibly.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Never a journal keeper but I did photograph most hunting and fishing trips starting in 1958 (must have been given a cameral that year)and kept scrap books. However there is a lot of bowhunting missing due to the fact I hunted a large military proving ground and cameras were prohibited in the secure area so I left mine home to not be tempted. If caught you lost your priviledges for life. The other reason was I didn't take pictures of does and spikes so a lot of deer I killed weren't recorded, don't ask me why.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
I started a journal for my travel hunts and liked the idea.

Lately I have been writing my hunts and notes in a blog.  This way I will have them around together with the photos I take (which I try to take a lot).  Then I can also share my experiences with family and friends more easily also.

when someone wants to know about something I can easily find a pic or story and send them a link.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
Unfortunately, for me it is better in theory than practice.  I bought a nice journal cover and Rite in Rain book and it stayed in the bottom of my pack - I think I had one entry last year.  It's a great idea, but finding the time and motivation to do it is hard for me.  It will be back in my pack this year, but probably look brand new at the end of the season. :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
Here is the catch with me. If it's a "journal" it becomes work and work doesn't associate well with my leisure activities (even though hunting can be work, I still view it as enjoyable/leisure time). So I don't put restrictions on recording events or circumstances, sometimes going for lengthy periods without writing anything. Never-the-less, I keep a "notebook" in which I write notes as reminders, interesting anecdotes, compelling thoughts or whatever. It's for my benefit to remeber anniversaries, birthdays, meetings, things "to do" and such but ... ultimately I hope it is a record that my great-grandchildren can see and hold as a tangible connection to their past.

Here is a link to a thread I started last July with pictures of the excellent journals I received from Tim at Farr West Leather (a sponsor here):

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=106295;p=1
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I really enjoy writing down about my hunts each time I'm out.  I write the date, time (a.m. vs. p.m.), temperature, wind conditions, what stand I'm hunting, what game I've seen etc.  I started doing this on my first hunt in 1968, and have each hunt recorded.

I find it really interesting to look back on my previous hunts.  A lot of memories come back.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I think having a record of each hunt would be awesome, I started doing it a few years ago and just kinda gave up. This year, starting with turkey season, I'm vowing to write at the end of each day. I think my daughters would someday be thrilled to read them, as most things beautiful remind me of them...

Great thread, very inspiring!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Casper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I like keeping field note, I don’t much detail in it beside the wind direction the weather for the day and the time spent on stand. I do this so I can look back and have reference for the years to come.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©