3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One spot open Hog Heaven April 12-15th  (Read 634 times)

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One spot open Hog Heaven April 12-15th
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Thom, I must have just missed you that day. I left before follow the leader. My wife and I stopped by last night to shoot a couple rounds and I couldn't help but try to give the hogs some extra love. Looking at the cut aways from the shot placement thread really shows I'm going to have to change my mindset about shooting behind the leg.

The closer we get the better the weather looks. Todays 10 day forecast shows no scattered thunderstorms!

Dan

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Yep, I got there just before follow the leader that day. FYI there is good info printed out in camp about anatomy and a nice sized pig target to practice on. Ray is a wealth of knowledge and will help you out if you want any extra pointers. I better start packing for the range, got two strings to stretch out before next weekend!
Thom

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
After the hunt please post the stories, the pictures and then how about  putting on Recipes/Grilling/ Barbecuing/Smokers about some deep fried loins.
...Mark

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Good morning for me today. License printed, arrows no sno'd, silencers on my new string, packing real gear now.

Ray, you've offered a few times to do a tutoring session on broadhead sharpening in camp. I'm thinking I want to take you up on this trip if you don't mind.

I've come to the realization that a broadhead can't be sharp enough. I've got files, Arkansas stones, a Lansky kit,a diamond hone, maybe more I'm forgetting. No KME in my kit. What should I bring other than a bunch of dull broadheads?
Thom

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
That'll be it

I use a 12 inch Nicholson and a 3x9 piece of belting leather glued smooth side up to a board
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
I could use a tutorial also.  I can get them sharp enough to pop a hair or two hair but Ray gets 'em sharp enough to do an appendectomy.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Cool! I glued up this block and fished out my fine mill/bastard file. It's a Nicholson from Wiggin's Hardware nonetheless  :)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I don't know if it's going to make it to Flint, but it's snowing pretty hard here on the lake shore today! Weather like THIS is what makes a Michigan guy want to go south and hunt pigs in the spring!!!

Gear is packed, and I'm counting down the hours!
Thom

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Let the dog out this morning and when he came in, he was covered in snow.  Came out of nowhere.  Just a dusting, now it's all gone.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Good Lord!
  Up at 0600 this AM and stepped outside with the dog, it's snowing??!!  Can't complain I guess, this IS Michigan.  Thom When are you leaving for HH?
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Yeah guys, and was that two years ago we got blasted on Easter proper? Crazy.

I'm picking up Dan around 9pm in GR tomorrow night and heading out from there. That will give us several hours to play with so we can stop for a sit down meal or more coffee. When are you guys heading out?
Thom

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Tomorrow afternoon around 4 or 5, we're gonna take our time getting there.. See you guys Thursday!  Oh hey... what time do we meet Ray at Wiggins?
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Nice, enjoy the drive!

I think Wiggins closes at 6pm, that was right about when Ray got there. First thing we did was went for BBQ, so don't fill up!

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Another great weekend that came and went way to quickly.  Got on some hogs saturday morning but was betrayed by the wind.  That afternoon had a small one cross broadside at 15 yrds. but no shot by the time I got my bow up.
   Again, Ray was a great host, chef and guide and we finally got to meet Squirrel Bait, not to mention having Woody Blackwell in camp to demonstrate knapping. Thanks again Ray, lokking forward to getting back down there real soon.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
What a great weekend temps in the 40's to 70's

Hey Tom give me your addy for that string silencer material
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
That might have been my best weekend since my last trip to Hog Heaven... Nope, I'm sure of it!

The wildlife was everywhere; pigs, deer, turkeys, gators, snakes, etc. Man, the place was alive! It was good to finally meet Andrew, Mike, Woody, and Harry. Fine bunch of guys there, regardless of the trouble I kicked up with my grits comment a few pages ago.

My only bad news is that my Countour Roam camera is quite wide angle and the videos I shot of those piglets and the deer is kind of hard to make out. I do have several videos and I'll PM those to you guys later.

Ray, I'll PM you my address in a minute.

Rick, just let me know when we're going back because I'm in!
Thom

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
All around an exciting weekend.  I'll try to get those pics burned to a disc and   mailed out this week.  If you guys can pm your addresses.
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
I had an outstanding time! Ray was an excellent host and it was great to meet all you others as well. There was certainly no shortage of game and an abundance of other wildlife. Hunting pigs is so different from whitetails and was an exciting change of pace from my normal tree sitting routine. I'm confident god created these animals as a gift to bowhunters. I'm missing it allready.

Woodys presence in camp was great. What that man does with rock is an absolute art. It has lit a fire in me to learn to knapp functionable arrowheads.

Dan

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Once again, a great hunt. Great to meet Mike, Woody and Dan for the first time and reconnect with Tom and Ray.

My son was able to fly in from Phoenix and hunt hawgs for his first time and had a blast. I believe this was the first time that Rick and Sean, myself and my son all hunted together, and it will always remain as one of my best hunts ever. We ate, laughed, hunted and meet new friends, it just doesn't get much better!
TGMM

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Ray,

Why didn't you order those temps when I was down there???  70 was the low, not the high!!!

Thom,

Grits are good food-no matter how you eat them!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©