3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Come on John Scifres... details on Hunger Games  (Read 548 times)

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Come on John Scifres... details on Hunger Games
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by pete p:
I honestly wasnt prepared or wanting to see a flick where kids, yes kids, are forced to kill eachother for the entertainment of the upper class and corrupt government. Not slamming anybody that enjoyed the movie...whatever turns your crank. i just wasnt ready to see some 12 y/o getting stabbed or having their neck broke. hey hollywood...way to go on promoting the great sport of archery...
I'll second that Pete.

I struggle to call that entertainment. I haven't seen the movie and nor will I bother to.

Jeff

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Very cool John!
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
Hey John

That wouldn't happen to be osage from my brothers place would it??

Awesome story bud!!
Otto

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
John,

Does Dean T. know what you made of your bow building hobby these days?
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
Very cool John!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Jaikarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Aussie Stickbow Hunter:

I honestly wasnt prepared or wanting to see a flick where kids, yes kids, are forced to kill eachother for the entertainment of the upper class and corrupt government. Not slamming anybody that enjoyed the movie...whatever turns your crank. i just wasnt ready to see some 12 y/o getting stabbed or having their neck broke. hey hollywood...way to go on promoting the great sport of archery...
I'll second that Pete.

I struggle to call that entertainment. I haven't seen the movie and nor will I bother to.

Jeff [/b]
That's sort of missing the point of the movies/books. Nobody went to the movie wanting to watch kids killing kids for the entertainment of the crowd. The movie is more of a warning of what could happen in a distopian future where there is an unaccountable, autocratic government.

Sort of a reminder that the government should serve the people, not the other way around.

Anyway, that's awesome that someone who knows what they're doing made the bow, it's a shame when hollywood ignore the fact that archers go to movies too and we lose all sense of immersion when things like what happened in that greek god film happen. (The major bow of the film was a take-down club bow, spray painted gold and had the sight bar still attached,)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Very cool John, and congadulations!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Congratulations John, Pretty cool. I watched the movie on March 27, with my 10 year old grand daughter, for her birthday. She loved it.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
That's sort of missing the point of the movies/books. Nobody went to the movie wanting to watch kids killing kids for the entertainment of the crowd. The movie is more of a warning of what could happen in a distopian future where there is an unaccountable, autocratic government.
Wow John, thems big words your using there, that edumacation is paying off. See you this summer and I have a new toy to show you, though its a bit stiff for your skinny arms.  :bigsmyl:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Sequel (second book of three) is already in planning stages and due to hit the big screens November 2013, maybe they will need new bows John.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
by no means do i want to turn this into a debate about the flick or detract from the original topic...John's bows. back on topic.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Congrats John, That is cool!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
I just linked the post and picts to our sixth grade reading teacher.  The Hunger Games have been a big hit at that grade level(and higher) for several years now.  Thought the kids would like to see the images and John's description of working on them.

Pete I just read (well skimmed) the entire agenda 21 document. Don't want to get off topic, but I don't get what you find so scary.  Sounds like trying to make the global economy a freer market economy, while balancing population pressures on the environment, the source of all base materials of the free market.  Not a single black helicopter in the whole document
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Steve, the osage from Ron's place is long gone.  Good stuff doesn't last long around here.  This was home grown, Indiana osage.

Daryl, Dean who?  Don't see him around these parts anymore   :)  

pete p and other off-subject posters, see that little icon that looks like a piece of paper with a pencil on it at the top of the posts?  It lets you edit your post.  Ya might try it.  Just sayin'.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Congrats, John, this is cool!   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Proud of you...walk tall. Made in the USA!
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jaikarr:

Originally posted by Aussie Stickbow Hunter:

I'll second that Pete.

Jeff [/b]

Sort of a reminder that the government should serve the people, not the other way around.

Anyway, that's awesome that someone who knows what they're doing made the bow, it's a shame when hollywood ignore the fact that archers go to movies too and we lose all sense of immersion when things like what happened in that greek god film happen. (The major bow of the film was a take-down club bow, spray painted gold and had the sight bar still attached,) [/b]
I once overheard two women discussing how they would not let their children go see the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because it was satanic...  Seems they never heard of C.S Lewis...

The movie shows enough violence to get the point across without being overly graphic.  Much more is implied than shown.  Compared to most modern action movies it is relatively tame.

As far as promoting archery...it is doing more than anything else for that purpose at this time.  Google searches, news articles, etc are showing a lot of interest in the sport as a result of the movie.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
By the way >>>------> Nice job on the bows, John!  My kid's initial reaction when he saw the second bow in the movie was, "The bow she had at the beginning was way better!"   :archer2:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
My 15 yo and her friends have read the books but none of them are interested in archery.  :(  

John, I would be curious as to how the movie prop person found you, was it your website or some other means?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
beyondmyken, Yes, my website.

Thanks to all.  Just the right place at the right time kind of thing.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©