3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Special turkey hunt with my Dad, and more turkey stories (MORE PICS PG. 4)  (Read 650 times)

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
You are a blessed man.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
priceless!  And that zink hen decoy rocks!!!!

Thanks for sharing....spent the night watching the grand nationals senior devision championship here at work...I'm stoked and I'm still weeks away.....you guys are making me grow feathers hehe!

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
WOW,and thanks for taking us along on the trips with you!I love theese hunting threads other than going out in the blind with my kids,this is as good as it gets.Thanks again for the pics and stories.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
:clapper:    :clapper:
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awesome story and pics, thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
If it gets any better than that count me out....couldn't handle it.
Awesomeness!

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing a great Hunt!
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
If it gets any better than that count me out....couldn't handle it.
Awesomeness!

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
Good job and congrats to you and your father. Great story and thanks for taking us along.
From first hand experiance I can tell you that they don't make them any better than your father. Great man that loves spending time with his family and is as honest as they come.

:thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep coming back to this one...still doesn't cure turkey fever, but it helps!

Tommy, where did Ashley hit her bird? From the look of the arrow, it looks to have gone all the way through...

I also have to comment about how much you look like your Dad...and that's a good thing    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awesome. I'm sure this will be one of those hunts you remember for a long time.
James Kerr

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome story. Congrats.

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
Thats a mess of turkeys! Great story.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you guys for the fine compliments. I appreciate it, and yes I am very blessed. I hope my son and I can enjoy hunts like this in the future! But I got time, he's not even 2.

Originally posted by Guru:
Tommy, where did Ashley hit her bird? From the look of the arrow, it looks to have gone all the way through...

I also have to comment about how much you look like your Dad...and that's a good thing     :thumbsup:  
Guru: I get the look-alike comment about five times a day, my Dad just says "poor kid". Ha! I don't remember exactly where Ashley shot her turkey but I have the videotape so I'll have to review it. I think her bird was quartering towards her and she hit it right in front of the wing butt, with the arrow exiting near the far leg. The feathered end of the arrow remained in the bird.

I just reviewed your turkey shot placement thread. It is very informational, I think I may shoot over there and share my experiences.

I will share our set-ups here as well.

I have, unfortunately, lost too many turkeys, especially when I aimed for the wing butt. I am now picky on broadheads and try to be picky on shots as well. I aim straight up from the legs at about beard height, no matter what angle the bird is at. I have found that looking up from the legs helps me pick a spot, which is difficult for me to do on turkeys. If I shoot slightly forward I am still in vitals, if slightly back then the arrow shoots through the guts, and with a LARGE broadhead that is deadly. If I square the hips it completely shuts down the bird's ability to run, and if they can't run they can't fly. Shooting them through the hips has also turned out to be a shot that produces a quick death.

I really prefer facing towards or facing away shots, I have 100% success with birds dying extremely fast with these shots. Not only have I not lost one, but they haven't even ran 15 yards with this shot.

On my first turkey this year, with the Rampart longbow, I used a big Sasquatch 4 blade. I hit him behind the legs while in full strut, he laid down within a minute.

My second turkey, with the Bighorn recurve, I used a 160gr Snuffer. That might be my new favorite broadhead for turkeys. I can't believe how bad the damage was. He was facing away and I hit him right above the fan. The arrow completely took out a leg and one side of the breast. The turkey died within seconds.

Ashley used a wide Magnus 4 blade. Quartering to shot, the bird flopped a bit but never stood up after the shot.

My Dad used a Sasquatch 4 blade as well. He knows better, but shot through the breast. It took a long time for his turkey to lay down and required a follow up shot. His bird got his wings under him after the second shot but did not fly far. The second shot was probably over an hour after the first shot. Had we pursued this bird immediately I have no doubt he would have flown a long ways, and/or ran a long ways. I doubt we would have recovered him if we were not able to observe him for a long time after the shot. Luckily this is open country and he did not leave the field we were set up in.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome  story, thanks for sharing!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stuff Tommy!  You've really got me pumped up for turkey season.  I have a tag here in WI starting next Wednesday.  I'll try to be like Tommy!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Very cool story, congrats to all invloved!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Really nice, great story....   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story and pics!! Thanks for sharing.    :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©