3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: adding weight to arrows???  (Read 298 times)

Offline canadian

• Trad Bowhunter
adding weight to arrows???
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Does adding weight inside an arrow shaft (tubing or rope ...) change the spine of the shaft?  My arrows are tuned well now, I just want to bump up the weight.  Thanks, Jonathan
murph

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: adding weight to arrows???
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Many people have said no, however, I have never bare shafted any-

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
I have played with weighting shafts for years. I have not noticed any problems with what you are describing even when shooting bhs. They seem to shoot fine with the tubes. However, other problems have occured, some right away and some over time. Weight tubes, if not glued in will often pop your nock out when the arrow strikes a hard object and sometimes just hitting the ground. We have found that carbon shafts with tubes in them make noise downrange that you don't hear as the shooter. Over time I have had the plastic weight tubes deteriiorate inside the shaft requiring work to remove and replace them. The solution that I have arrived at is to use a carbon shaft and add weight to the point. There are no issues with the things I have mentioned and in  the end the heavy point will afford you better penetration and IMO better arrow flight.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Canadian,

Adding weight tubes will weaken the dynamic spine of your arrow.  It has the same effect as adding about 1/2 the weight in point weight.  ie-if you use 100 grs. of tube weight, it will weaken the spine the same as adding 50 grs. of point weight.  Those are the results I go after 3 months of shooting nothing but bareshafts.  Hope that helps.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
I did a lot of testing to make heavier arrows and despite what I heard, adding weight to the full inside length of the shaft by adding something with no spine of its own, like rope, aquarium tubing, weedwacker line etc. REDUCED the dynamic spine of the shaft. I haven't tested the weight tubes yet, but from others testing they tell me that they do reduce the dynamic spine a bit also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©