3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blind burnout ?  (Read 121 times)

Offline Kurt Miller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Blind burnout ?
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Do turkeys begin to put 2 and 2 together and stop going to a particular spot if they've been spooked or arrived to not find the decoy setup to their liking?  I have a great natural blind within sight of my house and called a few birds in over the years in this area.  Not a lot of repeat performances though.  A few hung up, a few narrowly escaped (missed) and one actually never left the scene (big boom got him-- pre-trad days)

I had a vocal Tom come straight in this morning, walked right by within 30 yds, barely slowed to a half strut within sight of 2 hen decoys and disappeared without a peep.  Do you think he'll come back to the exact setup and my limited calling skills?

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blind burnout ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Yes,  they "learn" to avoid danger but theres a new crop of birds pretty regularly.  That same tom may not come in again, but hormones often get in the way of common sense (not just with turkeys).

If I were targeting him, I would go without decoys or add a jake and relocate a bit.  If you have a good population to choose from, the next tom might charge right in.

I've had days where birds got to the set-up, didn't like it, and left the scene in a hurry.  Then a couple hours later there are toms knocking over the decoys.

I hunted a completely virgin property that was loaded with birds.    As expected, the birds had no fear of the blinds or decoys.  A couple years later it was leased to an outfitter and hunted hard.  After a couple years of that they were pretty wary of the blinds.  Of course there are always jakes to fall back on!

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
The more voiceturous they are the more they expect the hens to come to him once in sight.  Let him move on a bit and pull the decoys then start calling again.  He'll think the hens have moved away and come in looking for them again
Rob
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I spook the same tom just about every morning I get out on my workout/stumping route. I think he got his butt kicked by the alpha tom just across the highway but is still hanging in the neighborhood. I'm hoping this isn't the same situation as my "garden bucks" that disappear the day before bow season.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Turkeys are dumb   :readit:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©