3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning arrows... should I stop???  (Read 494 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning arrows... should I stop???
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
I am going to Africa in May and am trying to tune arrows that are a bit heavier than my norm. I am also using MFX Classic shafts because they are narrower and heavier that my GT Trad's...  My finished arrows are about 585 grains with 275 grains total weight up front and Abowyer BH's. This set up is about 100 grains heavier than my GT's.  

Should I stop here?

This is about 18 yards...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning arrows... should I stop???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
that sure is a tight group.  are you happy with that? (i know i would be.)
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Just trying to figure out why the bare shaft is always a bit low and cocked right?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
I'd say spine is to Heavy. Add weight or shoot longer shafts..You should be able to shoot a bare shaft 30yds and have straight impact.
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Personally I would back on up to 30 yds, or as far as I could hold a decent group, and shoot 3 bare shafts and three fletched shafts and see where the bare shafts consistantly group in relation to your fletched shafts. I wrap 12" of electrical tape around my bare shafts where the feathers will go represent the weight of the feathers and when everything is right fletched and bare shafts will group together.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Yep, 2x on spine too heavy if it bare shafts there several times consistently, but a month out? I'd quit right where you are and just shoot, shoot, shoot.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
That looks pretty close to me. When I am tuning I ignore the angle of the shaft as O.L. Adcock recommends and just look at where my bareshafts group according to a fletched set of field points. Some bows though are very tolerant of spine and will shoot a wide range of bare shafts equally well. The main thing is if you are happy with it and that your broadheads fly straight and true, cause in the long run that is all that matters.
James Kerr

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Africa in May!! You lucky dog Coaster! You won't be hunting in the rain so you don't have to worry about matted down fletch and BH's. Shoot a couple of arrows with BH's and see if the are going where you are looking and it they land straight on, that should be the test.
I'd say you should put in some time with the camera so you can entertain us with the pics!! Have a great trip Coaster and make sure your PH has got your back!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
You are never going to shoot a bare shaft at any animal and your group looks nice and tight.  I'd stop tuning and just shoot.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
I am going to the range tomorrow to get some more distance. I'll take my old set up and decide there? I am a max 25 yard shooter except one time and I didn't know I was 29 yards. It just felt right and I let her go. Turn out my brain was right and it worked out?

Bjorn I have shot some BH with the same result and point of impact. I am using Abowyer's with Titanium inserts....  and yes I am a lucky dog with a very understanding wife who says a hunt in Africa is an appropriate self gift for a guy who just turned sixty  :)

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
If you are shooting BH and field points into the same group then you are good to go.  I agree, take lots of pictures and you are lucky.  Hope the luck holds and have a great time.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
As for the bareshaft hitting low that would indicate your nocking point is a tad high. You might lower it a 1/16" and see how it responds. Then when it groups with the fletched shafts back up. If it still flies good your golden. If you see that bareshaft hitting to the left and canting to the left the it is showing too stiff. If it is just hitting the target leaning to the left but hitting in line with the fletched arrows I'd hold up there and start shooting broadheads! Hope you have a great adventure.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline 2020

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I have bare shafted for 10 years it is over rated,remember KISS,right now I am shooting a arrow that is stiff for my set up,but with feathers and broadheads they hit right where I am looking unless I have a form break.I have yet to have an animal complain that my arrow was not tuned right.Dont over think this your group is great have fun!!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
2020, would you care to explain how you get proper flight from you stiff arrow with a broadhead. I am new to  but have had this conversation over on A.......T... And I am from your school of thought, so could you tell me what you do. Also can someone tell me if a tuning thread should be here or in shooters FORM. Sorry I don't want to hijack your thread OP but I felt it could help all involved.

Also good luck and God bless on your trip, I will pray for your safe and successful foray into Africa.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Snag I did adjust the nock down a slight bit….. Still hitting a bit low with the bare shaft but better. We will see at the range in the morning with some distance...

Thanks all I am really looking forward to this trip   :)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Man you are one lucky dude. I'm looking forward to the pics and tales, hopefully both will be plenty.  What animals are on your list.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Should be a spectacular trip.

Personally I tune my BH's 5 yards further than I plan to shoot and also at 3 yards. Just a personal choice and serves me well in quelling any of my own concerns.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Stop

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Kip, are you lucky enough to go to Africa with a bow you made? What is the poundage of the bow you are taking and what are you planning on hunting? I wish you the best of luck and can say from first hand experience that if you are shooting a bow you made you will be shooting a high quality, awesome bow. Please take some pictures for us that are stuck here in the States.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Personally, I prefer the method as explained by Paul. If you follow his examples, it is easy as it gets.

http://elitearrows.com/proper-arrow/

Good luck in Africa.  :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©