3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String to short?  (Read 304 times)

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
String to short?
« on: April 06, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
I have started making my own flemish strings with the help of the "How to build great bowstrings" DVD.  I made the string length jig as per the video instructed and used it on a string this morning.  I wanted to make a 56" string for a 60" recurve.  The string came out fine with just a few twists in each bundle (not enough backtwist).  The string ended up being 52 1/2" long  :eek:  ???  :(    Each end has 10" of twist measured from the top of the loop to the bottom of the twist.  Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?  :knothead:
LH Chek-Mate T/D Hunter 41# @ 28in.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String to short?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
poor attempt at humor failed... my apologies.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Sounds like your string board is marked in AMO length, not actual string length.

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Like Kirkil said, you have to measure after making the first loop. I think 10" is a little much. I use about 8" and then measure to the second loop. You will get a feel, for how much extra length to leave for twisting, after you make a few. It will be different with each type of material. I have made about 200 and still make them short and long, sometimes, so I'm still trying to get it right  :D  . Don

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
First, everyone twists a little different--you may need to make some adjustments based on your style.

Second, the instructions are for a jig to be marked by string length, not AMO.

Third, I pre-stretch all my strings--especially dacron, because it settles in so much--a good 2-3" on my jig.  The directions allow for that.

If you measured and took notes per the video, use that information to adjust for the next string.  It takes a little practice to get it just right.

Finally, if someone tried to throw my string jig away they would have a fight on their hands.  It's no big deal if you only make a string here and there, but if you make more than a few--especially in varying lengths--they are almost worth their weight in gold due to the time saved measureing out bundles.

If you prefer some one-on-one instruction, feel free to e-mail or call.

Chad

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I have done a few a little short but not  that much and stretched them  some..You can also just untwist and start over but go about 71/2" and see what you come up with...I always do mine a little short then stretch in a jig I made...Once you do a hundred or so it becomes a little easier..  :thumbsup:

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Why is it that every thread where someone has questions or issues with a string jig someone comes along with a holier than thou attitude trashing jigs?
I've measured strands without a jig and it's a pain in the butt. I've put a couple nails into a workbench to measure strings and it's fine for one length but I make lots of different lengths and I'm not putting nails into the side of my truck so I can sit on the tailgate and make someone a string at a shoot.
If you guys who don't like jigs want to keep doing things the way you are, have at it. But quit with the I'm-better-than-you attitude because I've chosen to use a handy tool when I make a bowstring.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Chad, am I twisting it really tight in turn making it shorter then the average? I do try to make it tight and even.  Yes I have notes to go by.  I did measure after the first loop up to 56" for my second.  Should I try making a 57" or 58" string?  Just wondering why it ended up at 52" final length when I had measured for 56"?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
With dacron, try masureing up to 57", maybe even 58", to start the second loop.  Remember, it will settle in quite a bit once tension is applied.  I don't think twisting it tight is the problem--I like a tight twist myself.  Probably just a few slight differences in our techniques, even hand size, that's adding up to the difference.  Keep notes on the second one as well, and if it's off, you should be able to nail it by the third.  I'd hate to think how many tries it took me to get my first one right....

If I can help, just let me know.

Chad

Offline Curtis Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Thank you, I just did up a second.  Tried 8" for the finished twist length on either end.  Also got real close on my back twist. I did measure to 57 1/4" for my second loop and made the loop 1 1/4".  The string ended up being 54" with 10 length twist in it.  I put it on my bow and have 8 1/2" brace height.  Going to leave it on for the night and see what happens.  Do you think it will stretch 2 inches to get 56"?  I'm pretty sure I will be able to use it after it stretches though.  Thanks again for all the help.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
It will easily stretch 2"--might take a little while just on the bow though.  Shooting it in will help speed up the process.

That's one of the main reasons I prefer HMPE materials--they settle in much quicker.

Chad

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Well, it's kind of like someone who doesn't make bows for a living offering advice on building a laminated bow.  First thing they say is "I'd start by throwing that bow form and hot box in the trash", after an established bowyer has just given advice on using a bow form and hot box.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Good grief Chad.... i was just pulling your leg   a bit...     :rolleyes:    

it's tough to get the right tone of voice on here sometimes.

didn't mean to piss you off bro....

my apologies.  Kirk

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I simply laid it out for what it is, no more or less.  

Say the situation were reversed.  You had a bow-building video, and someone posted a question about the bow press you gave plans for in your video.  

I come along and say "first thing you do is throw that form in the garbage", and end with "I hate building bows"--would you appreciate my input, or think I was joking?

I believe you when you said it wasn't intentional...but if you shoot your buddy in the leg with a broadhead, is saying "It was an accident--I didn't mean to hurt you." and add "If you want me to change hunting partners, that can be arranged" going to stop the bleeding?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
lets put her to bed here bro...

This whole thing went sideways and was a poor attempt at humor all the way around. First i stuck my foot in my mouth, then i went and stuck the other one in there too.   "[dntthnk]"  

Sincerely......... Kirk

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Fair enough--Lord knows I know what my feet taste like...

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I never made a good string till I made a Jig. Way easier to get consitant results for me.
It will take some string making and GOOD NOTE TAKING to get YOUR method figured out.
Well, Thats what happened to me anyhow.
I wish I would have had a video to guide me thru it.

Good luck and stick with it.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
I am not a professional string maker, nor do I play one on TV, but......

It took me about 10 or 15 strings before I got in the groove and got the lengths close from the get go.  Took the jig I made and marked it according to how I tight I twist, how much I allow for the loops, how big I make my loops, how much the strings stretch, etc.  

The trick is to mark YOUR jig for the way YOU make strings.  (by the way, save all the ones you make that you don't use because the are the wrong length and you couldn't fix them--I did that and over the last 4 years I have used all of them but 2 for different bows here and there)

Also, Doin' the Twist DVD helped me perfect my technique really well--it is a good video.

My two cents.

RonP

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Right on RonP

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©