3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Kansas turkey hunt with Mike Yancey!  (Read 632 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Kansas turkey hunt with Mike Yancey!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Been waiting for this one to unfold.  Good stuff already, and looks like much more to come!

I bought the same hen decoy this year and am anxious to give it a try.  Glad to hear the glowing reports.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Great so Far.   :thumbsup:  

Keep it up   :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Looks like a railroad line in a few pictures. Did it bother the birds?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:00 AM »
Great story,.....  :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
great stuff Tracy!   Is that the zink deke?  I have the feeding hen and love it!!!

See ya in a few weeks.

Ps....I'm sitting at work....it's below freezing and still pushing knee to waste deep snow....this is torture I tell you  ;)

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Did I miss it?  What brand decoy is that?  Cool pictures and story and it's not even over!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Varmint, it's a Zink AvianX  (At least it sure looks like mine)

Come on Tracy - it's morning and I'm already through two cups of coffee waitin on ya!   :readit:      :coffee:    :coffee:      :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
ditto that whip...I have the feeder and love it, great for traveling also.  If I wasnt worried about traveling I'd go with the David Smith Deke or the new kid on the block Double bulls own "best turkey decoy".

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Hud,trains don't bother them at all.

Yep Dan it's a Zink decoy and I plan on getting the feeder next they look and work great.

I will let Mike tell his story and I will put a few pictures up for you to look at. After the turkeys spooked it took a while but a few more hens started coming back into the field. Once again they started spending lots of time around are decoy.

Then this Jake showed up!

He was one nervous bird with all the big guys around but finally starting slowly going into strutt lke he new what he was doing.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
These birds stayed around for along time but we decided to pass on this bird. We had a good time watching them though and were exspecting a big guy to show up anytime but it never happened.

We stayed till noon then headed in for a quick lunch and was back out there around 2:00pm. A few hens showed up but not much else till 6:30pm. My son said there was a group of four Jakes around but we hadn't seen them, They feed out into the field and so did another hen.

Mike gave a few yelps and here came, the Jakes followed right after her.

They were getting all excited not seeing any big guys to kick there butts and all the hens all by there selves.  :D  They came right into 8yds.

I was telling Mike it would be dark shortly but plenty of light for pics and we could bye another tag. I was ready to watch him drill one.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Great hunt and pics!

Now I'm trying to convince myself I don't need one of those dekes.  :D  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Love seeing the play by play again Bud!! Keep it coming  :thumbsup:
And you are absolutley right Mike when you say Tracy knows how to show a good tima and has a lot of game  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
No sense fighting it Rob.  You definately need one - You'll never kill a turkey if you don't!
Did I help?  :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Are there any sponsors that sell them?

I just sold my blind so I might as well have a good decoy to even the odds.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Great stuff guys!! Tracy, those pics are just awesome. You do a great job with the camera.
I bought one of those decoys last year and have had great results with. I need to get the feeder soon.
Looking forward to more.   :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
We were hoping for the big guy but it just wouldnt work that way this time. He did come back but walked right on by with every dusting and feeding hen in the food plot. We did have that group of four jakes come in and do their little side ways jake walk up to the decoy.
 When they passed by at about 6 yards this one got a razor sharp Woodsman on a Traditional Only shaft right through the sweet spot. The arrow passed compleatly through and I saw the bright red shaft fly out the other side as he spun to take off. I told Tracy that I drilled him but he got air born and was doing his best to clear the trees on the edge of the field, when right at the edge of the trees and at the top of them to boot he began to slow and died in mid air. I will never forget the picture in my mind as that bird free fell 70' in the air like you had dropped a pillow out of an airplane.

A real trophy, I took a Rio in Texas with this Widow last year and now an Eastern in Kansas. I will be in Wyoming next weekend for their opener to try for my third bird of a traditional grand slam.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
I had been hunting with one of my sinew backed osage bows all week but this day it was raining so I decided to pack my Black Widow PCH and thats when it happened.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
There is nothing like the feeling you get when turkey hunting with a bow. This PCH is so easy to shoot in a blind that it makes it easy to do the shooting, great bow.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I did get the kill on video but it wasen't my best work, I was filming out of the side window and was just getting ready to move the camera when I looked up and seen Mike drawing his bow.

O crap! But it worked out and here are a few still shots I pulled off the film. Here's the arrow (Its Yellow fletched) about to hit the middle bird.

And after hitting and buried to the fletch.

It was a perfect shot! I couldn't believe how far that bird went with no lungs. We did a autopsy.

The big bird that took the hens was quite impressive and we had him at 50yds but he wasen't about to leave the live hens!

Tracy

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
It was a great hunt even though we didn't get the big one but there's always next time.  :goldtooth:  

Plans were made for future hunts and I'm really looking forward to them.

Thanks for looking!

Tracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©