3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When to introduce a kid to archery  (Read 246 times)

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
When to introduce a kid to archery
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
I'm just getting back into trad after falling off the wagon and shooting wheelies for a while. My girlfriend has showed an intrest so I bought her a 25# recurve to learn on. She has actually been doing pretty good. She has a 4 year old daughter that lives watching us shoot. We let her help us pull arrows and look for the misses in the grass( the girlfriends, not mine of course) lol. My question is at what age would you let your kids start shooting? I have helped her pull the recurve back to play around, but can't seem to find a bow light enough for her I pull on her own. Should I wait another year or two until she can draw a bow on her own, or continue to help her with the recurve? Also, any info on who makes light poundage kids bows would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to introduce a kid to archery
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Traditional archery was made to be a family fun sport.  I started both my boys (6&8) at the age of 3.  They each started out with a homemade PVC bow and 1/4" wood dowel arrows with a sponge on the end as a point.  Then they got a 9# laminated wood longbow, and now are at 16# & 25# respectfully.  I just traded a couple bows off to get them a used 41# ACS longbow to have for when their next step up to the 37# bow I have for them becomes to light.  

So to answer your question...Yes, a 4 year old is the perfect age to get out and shoot with you guys.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
I stared both of my children at around 5 with recurves and then 5 of my grandchildren. The youngest was 4, almost 5 when he started. I had a 20# @24" Little Bear with 1/4" cedar arrows I made. I don't know what his draw was but he could pull it with some effort but he was a tenacious little kid. Judging from that I'd say something lighter would be in order for a 4 year old girl.

I think Mike Mecredy, Maddog, makes a good kids bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Whenever they say "Daddy I want to shoot too".  Just make sure you get them an armguard.    :archer2:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
I started my son off at 2 years old with a 8 lb selfbow.The guy that made the bow for him made me a deal.As long as i passed the bow on or gave it back he would build him a little heavier bow as he grew.He is now 13.Shoots trad 40lb martin rebel,selfbow and shoots 45lb compound.He is a member Acadiana youth hunter education.Hunting and fishing is his passion.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Soon as they can pull the string  :thumbsup:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
When they show interest.

Both my kids started when they were about 3.  

The biggest safety consideration in my mind is matching an arrow to the target to eliminate arrows bouncing back.  I hate those bullet tips that they put on arrows for kids because they bounce off of everything.  I think that regular field tips are what you want to start kids on. They are "just like yours" and they stick in the target.  If you supervise them and teach them that arrows go in quivers when they are not being shot you won't "poke an eye out with that thing!"

Make it fun and shoot at things where immediate reward is possible.  Huge balloons are a blast for kids.

I would suggest that you try the no-glove rubber release aid that goes on the string.  It really saves those little fingers without making them struggle with a tab or glove.

Have fun!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Check out my avatar.  He was shooting his lil bear at age 3.  Still loves to shoot.  I let him shoot right or left and just keep him safe.  I don't try to over educate.  Let them have fun and be safe.  We have 4 in our house from 3 to 12 years old.  They all like to shoot.

After a few months he started shooting almost exclusively LH on his own and his form is improving... Most days.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the fast responses. I think that settles it. Now to find a bow. Any suggestions on that part?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
My boys started with toy bows as soon as they could hold one. They are now 4 and 6. The youngest has one of the little green bears and the oldest now has a Maddog(GREAT BOW!). I take those fiberglass arrows kids arrows and modify them a bit. I refletch with feathers and sharpen the point to stay in the target.

I try not to push it on them even though I want them to do it so much. They have the option at bow shoots to shoot however many targets they want or they can go to grandmas house and sit it out. I figure brothers 2 years apart will get the competition going soon enough.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Rob, that is great advice. I don't push it on her, but she is always asking to join in. I let her as much as I can. We have a lot of fun. They have a shoot at the end of the month here that I plan on attending. We will see how she likes that. Thanks again.
-Scott

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I think they should be listening to you read archery books while they are in the belly...LOL

I started mine at 4 and they love it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline CedarAddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
My son is almost 22 months old and loves to watch me shoot in the backyard.  I am going to get him a trad bow for his 2 year birthday but for now he has a teeny little wheelie bow that he can actually pull back and shoot on his own.  We put a rubber blunt on the end of the arrow and he loves to copy dads form and try to shoot the target.  He can't really aim all that well yet but his form realty isn't too bad.

Offline zootown2007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
My son started shooting with me at 4 years old. I started him on a cheap, fiberglass model; but twisted him a new Flemish string with his favorite colors. I also cut down some of my arrows to his length. He has a blast with the setup.
Riley

“What avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?”
― Aldo Leopold

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
At one of the shoots I attended a few years ago there was a young boy with a hill style bow, back quiver and a pasifier in his mouth. He was with his folks. I would guess he was 3 or 4 years old.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
My son is 33 now. He started shooting with me at 4 years old. He shot his first 3-D courses at 5. At 8 he was the IN Bowhunter Round state champ for 12 and under. He is still my best hunting buddy and now he does the deer dragging!

My grandson shot his first tourament (with help at 3 1/2 years old.  

My only advice is to keep it fun. Some of us tend to eat and breath archery and if we're not careful we can over do it. A very good friend's son got into archery young and then abandoned it for many years. I think my buddy was too over-bearing for a spell.

Oh, and I wish every new person received correct instruction instead of the OJT I did 45 years ago.  I had to unlearn a bunch of stuff. I almost "lost" archery in the mid-80's-mid-90's due to wrong-thinking.

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Bowwild- that is a big concern. I try not to force it, but just allow her to participate when she wants to.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
It's never to early.  Both of my sons had bows in their hands at about 4 or 5.  Maybe even younger.  It is really amazing how much fun most kids have when they have a bow and a few arrows to play with.

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
As soon as you can and they are interested!  I started my daughter at 3 and she really took to it quickly.  It's important to keep it fun though.  We go to the basement or behind the house to shoot, sometimes she will shoot five or six arrows and say I'm all done daddy, and that's okay!  Other times she will want to keep shooting as long as she can.  I've found that shooting at fun targets really helps keep her interested, her favorite targets are balloons.  I usually use 12" so she has lots of hits.  On the other hand, my son is four and hasn't really shown much interest yet, I'm not going to push him on it, I think he will find his way to shooting in his own time (at least I hope he will!)
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Never to early or to late to start.  Keep it safe but fun and relaxed.  No need for perfect form and style yet.  Balloons are fun.

My girls are grown now but I wouldn't trade their younger / shooting years for anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©