3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Before and after. My best yet-skull mount pics added  (Read 1126 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Before and after. My best yet-skull mount pics added
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Shortly after I got back from a hog hunt in Texas in the middle of February, I shot a decent sow on my property.  Ever since, the only hog sign I have seen is that of a bruiser of a solitary hog that is only nocturnal.  I matched wits with him a couple of times, and came up riding the short bus.  Last night was a full moon and I figured I would try a different location.  I spooked a couple of gobblers out in the evening when I was putting corn in a feeder, and really didn't have high hopes, but the wind was right and I figured if I didn't have any luck I would go hunting turkeys in the morning(which I haven't the faintest clue how to hunt).  Well shortly after dark the raccoons show up, and they are pretty good company, but not what I am looking for.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Before and after. My best yet-skull mount pics added
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
No, I am not pulling a Charlie Lamb.  I am typing while I am waiting for pics to get uploaded to photobucket.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Go get 'em Pat! Bowkilled turkey is a short list for sure! Hope you got photos of that moonlighting pig?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
So 10 o'clock rolls around and a nice hog comes in from my right(essentially to the NW)and heads toward the drum feeder that I have.  So here is the basic setup.  I am in a tripod stand that my wife bought me(man, do I love her)which I have backed up to a nice cedar tree to break up my outline.  As luck would have it the mooonlight is shining on the feeders, but the cedar tree is blocking the moonlight from lighting me up.  I have a tripod feeder around 20 yards ahead of me and 25 yard from me, just a little further and to my right than the tripod feeder, is my drum feeder.  I saw the drum feeder setup on a hunt north of laredo.  20 gallon drum with 1/2" holes drilled in it then a chain connecting it to a t-post with a swivel.  Keeps them busy pushing in around and smaller animals don't eat all of the corn.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Now when I say a nice hog, I am talking probably a little over 250#.  The hog is doing his thing 25 yards away, even though I made it easy for him and laid a thick trail of corn that would give me a 12-15 yard shot.  Problem is, the hog just wanted to abuse my drum.  So be it.  I would wait until he made his way closer.  I had all night and the wind was right, out of the south as usual.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Another reason that I am waiting for a better shot is that the moonlight is making shadows so I can't really tell how the body is oriented for the shot.  Raccoons are giving the old boy a bunch of grief for around 20 minutes or so, then they scoot out of there quick.  The hog takes off too, so I am thinking they coyotes are screwing me again.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
:campfire:  You got me hooked!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
A couple of minutes later, and the hog comes back to the feeder, and since it is heading into the feeder and bumps the drum, I can tell how it is angled.  I quickly pull up and shoot because I don't know if it is gonna spook again.  It feels right, and the pig darts out of there and into the woods to the west, but I can't see my arrow flight in the moonlight.  No sound on impact, but a couple minutes later I hear noise in the woods and some squeeling.  Now I am thinking of several possibilites.  Maybe there are 2 hogs and they are scrapping?  May be the hog I shot laid on the arrow and it hurt?  Maybe it stubbed it's toe?  Heck, I don't know.  I'm not Pat B. or RC.  I decide to wait a while in case it comes back to the feeder.  40 minutes later I get down and can't find my arrow or blood at the scene of the crime, so I head back home to come back later.  My wife has to leave at 4am for dog training in Texas and I don't want to make alot of noise taking the dog out in a couple of hours, but I don't want to take it out right away and risk it getting hurt in the dark.  That takes me to 4:30 am and heading out to the woods.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Drove the truck right up to the feeder and got out, and he is on the track right away.  60-70 yards later we find it right where I heard the squealing.  I realize that this is the monster that I have been after and not the 250# hog.  The big boy must have chased the other one away and I was in such a rush to make the most of my opportunity, and had the shadows from the moonlight, that I didn't realize it.

Here is the pic from my trail cam(the drum in this pic is a 30 gallon drum).  Ignore the time signature.  I lost my cable and remote for resetting the time.

And here is the pic of the dog and the hog right after we found it.  The dog is a german shepherd that weighs 90-95#, for reference.  Incidentally one of the best tracking dogs out there. I guess the schutzhund training and lots of practice pays off.

I tried to drag the thing onto the trail, but could only move it a couple of inches at a time.  I may not be the strongest guy in the world, but I'm not the weakest either. I have never tried to drag an animal that I flat out could not.  I opted to drive the truck up to it, but could only get the head off of the ground and couldn't get it into the bed.  Off I went to get the tractor. I was able to roll it into the bucket (barely) and drive home.  After I got home, I slit behind the leg tendon and hung it from the bucket.   I would guess around 400#, or maybe a little over.  All I know for sure that it bottomed out my 330# scale real easily.  No wonder, with how much of my corn he was eating.  I probably paid for the meat that I got from him and then some, lol.  Anyway, here are some more pics.

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
That thing is huge! Congrats!   :clapper:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
WOW- That is one monster of a hog!!  Thanks for bringing us along and congrats!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:   So where did you hit him????
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I hit him just behind the shield. I had already hosed some of the dirt off of him before I took the pics, but roughly where the blade of grass is on the picture under the one with the dog.  I haven't retrieved the arrow yet, and he may have knocked it out or broken it off inside of him.  I was using my thunderchild which is 55# at my draw and beeman mfx classic 400 with 75 grain insert and 175 grain tigershark heads.  I will tell you that I feel very lucky, because he must have been angling slightly away and it was either a killing shot right off, or he laid on the arrow and made it a killing shot(when he squeeled).  My thunderchild is a great bow, and has a few kills under it's belt and hasn't let me down yet.  That being said, I don't believe in the easter bunny, and I don't believe there is any chance that my setup was going to penetrate that shield.  It was like plywood.  I am not going to blame the lack of a bloodtrail on the broadhead.  The fact that I hit a little back and the crazy thick hide and very thick fat closed things off pretty well.  As as side note, this guy didn't have any external testicles.  I didn't gut him, so maybe there is one inside, but I found a single small testicle that was right at his groin.  I wonder if this had something to do with how large this hog was.  I had a friend tell me that it was, and I know that in the horse world, geldings usually grow larger than stallions.  Who knows.  I don't know if I will ever kill another one larger.  I have been on a few paid hunts and never saw one this large.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
The moon last night would have been a good one to hunt under. I've never done it though.

Congratulations. That is definitely a brute.
Romans 8:28

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Flat out stupid cool Pat! Monster hog for true. What were you shooting (arrows & bow)? Might have to invite myself before long?

She does a killer job w/those dogs! None better anywhere! Thanks for the story & pix.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
That is a big hog. He makes that dog look tiny.

It's so cool what can be done with a bow and a sharp arrow.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Nothing more beautiful than a beautiful hog!!

Congrats!!

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
He certainly looks like a big bruiser!
Congrats on the shot! looks like perfect placement for a big hog like that!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©