3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Detours" in the life of a trad archer...Read if you can!!!!.  (Read 620 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, hi everybody!  I've been missing around here, not sure if anyone noticed except for a few guys looking for snake skins, but figured I'd post up because I think everyone can relate to the "detours" life throws at us.
 I was excited. Yes, at 44 years of age, I'd been putting aside "myself" for 17 years to make sure my kids were priority one, as I'm sure every Dad does. But my time had come. A custom bow 8 years in the making( I bought the coco 8 years ago). I posted on this "Before and after Silvertip" as some of you may have seen. And I had the money to spend on my bow, I had the woods, and the skins. I waited a bit over a year before Beth called me. I paid it all as fast as I could, and when done, the bow was spectacular.
Problem:    How about 2 herniated disks a few weeks before my bow was delivered?
Okay, s@#$ happens.
 But I get the bow, (everything I dreamed of) and my back gets worse by the day. The bow is sitting there looking at me, and I cant raise my arm to grab it without vomiting from the damn pain erupting from my back. Brutal. Day in, and day out.I stick it out without pain meds as much as I can, but end up pounding them at night to sleep. Finally get insurance clearance for therapy. First session, they set the ultra sound unit at max by mistake and my lower back muscles cramp rock hard ruining the old injured area.
Okay, s#$% happens.
 Cant have therapy for 2 weeks cuz of damage done. Cant get to computer, dont have lap top. People emailing me for skins, quivers, knife sheaths, antler burrs etc., and I cant walk the 20 feet to answer. My poor wife is running ragged to handle everything in our life, never mind my side stuff.
Slowly, the back starts improving, things are looking up for once. Its getting warmer out, and I open the window to breath fresh warm spring air.  Pull the back a bit. Damn.
S#$% happens.
But, I fall asleep right under window, it begins raining and I'm out cold. I get wet, cold and sick. Wife gets home, scolds me and cleans me up. Three days later I'm admitted to hospital with pneumonia.
Thinking about the poor bow, unshot. Just sitting there,a work of art, probably wondering why its all alone?
S@#$ happens.
A MONTH in the darn hospital unable to take more than a 1/4 breath of air. First time in my life that I started thinking of my mortality. Am I going to die?  Crap, I haven't even shot my bow!
Finally, I'm released and taken home. I've lost 35 pounds of muscle. And my hair has turned mostly gray in a few months.
S@#$ happens, i guess.
THERES MY BOW!!!!  My back is not horrible, I'm weak but I think I can pull it back. Yeah, I think so. I try, and it slowly comes back to anchor. Its very hard, but I draw it back. Enough.
I bought a lightweight Abbott longbow, and start working with it. More emails about skins, I start to reply with unfortunate news that I can't do much and plenty of apologies for not being able to answer my good fellow trad folks. Most are awesome and willing to drive out here and fluff my pillows! Thanks guys ( and gal!)
A couple however...well, there are those type everywhere in life. I don't worry about them. Didnt get what they wanted the second they wanted it.
For those couple my advice is , s@#$ happens.

I should heed my own advice however, because a day before writing this I made my first trip to my freezer in the garage. My wife stays at least 5 yards from it. Its mine and my two boy's freezer. There are two whitetail buck skull/capes in it, a frozen fisher cat, a froz. beaver (roadkill but perfect), a woodcock( my oldest's 1st trad bird kill! A woodcock with a longbow!!!!! I was and am sooooooooo proud!), okay what else is in this freezer? A 9 ft red tailed boa - whole, a carpet python - whole, 12 copperheads, all 30+ inches, 22 prairie rattle snake skins..skinned but not fleshed, 5 bullsnakes( not yours Don! Jake's is tanned and waiting!), 6 diamondbacks..western, whole, 6 eastern diamondbacks, skinned but not fleshed, a green tree python, 6 red fox pelts skinned and frozen, 2 wild silver fox, 3 large racoons and 10 whole frozen white weasels.

Hey, whats that smell?  Why is there a huge puddle under my freezer?
Yes my friends....it was not plugged in. For over a week, minimal. What a stink, non salvageable.
When I was in the hospital, I guess a huge hockey game with the neighborhood kids took place in my garage. Somehow the freezer cord was snagged and yanked out of the outlet.
S@#$ happens?  How much s@#$ are we talking about here? I think I've had more than my fair share but it just keeps getting dumped!
Soooo, here I am. I have no inventory. I'm still physically messed up but mending! I've lost a lot of $$ in inventory, but I've always done this for fun more than for income so I'm far from ruined.
Just put back a bit.
But I've got a smile on my face my friends! My wife and kids are healthy!  I'm on the mend! I've got 22 bows here right now, including my Abbott healing bow and my awaiting Tip.
I've got it MADE!!!!!!!!  

Good shooting to you all, I'll be back soon to skinning bows and making quivers.
Only thing is.......
I'm thinking on changing my handle from YORNOC to "s@#$ happens"...any ideas?
David M. Conroy

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Detours" in the life of a trad archer...Read if you can!!!!.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
If I were you, with that great attitude, that would be a fitting handle for sure! Heal up quick!   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Your a lucky fella, as far as the support of your friends and family, that's awesome!  I have seen your work, and the people that don't understand "stuff happens" ... Oh well.  Keep healing, and you will be shooting that tip soon!  Good luck,
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
WOW you have gone thru alot of "S@#$".  
Hope things turn to the better.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Damn. I admire your positive thinking. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
David sorry to hear about all the problems you been having.Glad to hear you are on the mends,take care of that back.Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Offline Rod Witkos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I've noticed you weren't around, just because your almost a local.
When I read your story I thought, there but for the grace of God go I. I've seen friends and coworker's lives ruined by back injuries. It ain't no easy road back either. I wish you the best of luck in the future, and I hope you've used up all your bad luck.
Good shooting friend.
“'I don't go into the woods to "rough it"; I go into the woods to "smooth it". I get it rough enough in the city.'

Horace Kephart, 'Camping and Woodcraft'; 1917”

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
nope... stick with Yornoc because you can take the bad with the good... This is just a chapter in your life and it sounds like you got the "right stuff" to deal with it...All my best...
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks from the bottom of my heart...I have been struggling with a few things in my life.

My difficulties fall way short of yours, and your attitude is inspiring to me.

Even with a bad back and a rotten freezer you have managed to remind me that in reality I have it good.

I pray for relief for your back...and that soon you can get to know your new bow...

Thanks brother.  :campfire:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I'd rather call you Rooster, because you have True Grit!   :)  

Now go floss.   :p  
Killdeer

Really, an amazing story of pluck and gumption. Say that three times real fast. Now go wash your mouth out with soap.    :campfire:    :archer2:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
David, God bless you so much!!!  Jesus is the answer to all this. The only answer I know.
Grow and be stronger bro.
I guess I must have got the last or close to the last of the snakes you sent out. Will be keeping you in my prayers.

I want to encourage you by telling you this. There is light on the other side.
PS: I wasnt to get a pair of water moccasins if you get any. Plus if you want a light bow to shoot for a bit I have an EagleWing Carbon Talon 11 I will send you that is only 42 lbs. You can use it as long as you need to.
God bless you, Steve

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Your attitude is inspiring!  I wish you all the best.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
The law of averages is now officially on your side. You have been through H#%%. And your positive attitude is inspiring.
You have earned any handle you want, including staying YORNOK.
I'll wish you good luck just to help tip the odds a little more in your favor.
Good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I feel you brother. There is no rhyme or reason to life sometimes. When it rains its seems to pour and pour and pour....... Hang in there with that great attitude and trust the big man upstairs and I can promise you not only "s@#$ happens", but "grace happens", as well. You will be a better man all the way around, for coming through this time in your life. Best of luck and God Bless! By the way I like your handle, don't change it.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
After all that S@#$ happening, I think you are due for some real good things to come your way.

Heal quickly!!!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Get well. Shlt happens for everyone during their life. But we all bounce back for the positive. Just look at it as a test to your life.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Way to keep a positive outlook on life.  It sounds like you stepped into a huge pile of it.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Well, Yornoc, s@#$ does happen, but at least you know how to keep it in neat little piles.Good luck - glad to hear you are on the mend.
Sam

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
David,

Praying the lord give you some Sonshine!  And I agree with Killy go wash your mouth out, a positive attitude goes a long way in taking a bad taste away   :goldtooth:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Praying your travails are over and you are heading for better times. Heal quick and start spending time with that bow. You certainly are due.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©