3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do wood arrows rotate/spin faster?  (Read 244 times)

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do wood arrows rotate/spin faster?
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Hear me out.  I shot CX Heritage 250's 29 inches long with 265gr up front for a total of around 620gr.  I just made my first poplar arrows 11/32 29" long with 165gr up front for a total of 650 ish gr.  Same feather, same fletcher and same helical.  Does the more evenly distributed weight make them spin faster.  I never noticed it before but I can see them now.  It is very obvious.  
Just a thought, maybe I'm crazy.  Maybe I'm paying attention more.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do wood arrows rotate/spin faster?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
The bigger diameter gives you more to see.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
if they are a little bigger diamater, the feathers would be moving faster even if they are spinning the same RPM. Just like a looking at  a bicycle wheel spinning the farther out the circle it is the faster it's moving at the same RPM.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
If by "same feather" you also mean same color...
I'd say you just never noticed it before.

Your poplar are a bit heavier, so they might be going a tad slower...might be enough to give you more time to see the arrow spin?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
All the reasons make perfect sense.  I think I am just paying better attention to it.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
if they are a little bigger diamater, the feathers would be moving faster even if they are spinning the same RPM. Just like a looking at  a bicycle wheel spinning the farther out the circle it is the faster it's moving at the same RPM.
I think you have that backwards.     :thumbsup:
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by eminart:

Originally posted by old_goat2:
I think you have that backwards.      :thumbsup:  [/b]
No, I have that one right, same reason if you put bigger diamater tires on your car than what it's designed for, you will be moving faster than what your speedometer says.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
With all due respect I too believe you have it backwards. the reason your speedometer reads low is because at one revolution of the axle (think shaft)the larger diameter tire goes further. Think if you were watching from the side and the same axle (shaft) had a tire 2 feet in diameter and then you watched a complete revolution with the tire 10 feet in diameter, the outer edge of the tire would be mutch easier to see.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
With all due respect I too believe you have it backwards. the reason your speedometer reads low is because at one revolution of the axle (think shaft)the larger diameter tire goes further. Think if you were watching from the side and the same axle (shaft) had a tire 2 feet in diameter and then you watched a complete revolution with the tire 10 feet in diameter, the outer edge of the tire would be mutch easier to see.
Yes that's what I'm saying, the bigger the diameter the faster it has to move in the outer circumference to make one revolution in the same amount of time as the smaller diameter arrow. I've been told I speak a different English than everybody else, you are supposed to know what I meant. :)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I had hoped that the emphasis of what I posted was the "easier to see" part. Though I shoot parabolics on everything the majority of wood shafts are 11/32" and have high cut shield fletching on them, they are easier to see and appear to spin faster.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
Old goat is right, except it doesn't matter in this scenario.  Since the feathers causing the rotation are attached to the outer "skin" of the arrow, the arrow will spin at the same rate.  

UNLESS...

Maybe you have more helical because you are working with a fatter shaft in your fletching jig?  More surface area, more twist?  Just a thought.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
I see the difference in rotation all the time with different sets of wood arrow (that's all I use). Arrows that spin like a tip I believe are more "in tune" with my bows. Some, that you can almost count the number of rotations to the target, aren't quite "in tune" with the bow. In other words, a bow will like one set of arrows better than others. That's my story anyhow.....Art

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Yup, he's got it right. Same angular velocity (degrees / second) but the bigger the diameter, the faster the linear velocity. (ft / second) The feathers on a larger diameter shaft are traveling a further distance in one revolution.

Also, assuming all things are equivilent as far as starightness of the arrow, and the distributed weight / total weight of the arrow, a larger diameter shaft will have more rotational torque applied to it in comparison with a more skinny shaft. (also assuming the fletchings are identical in every way between the two arrows)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
You can see your arrows in flight? I will havta' slow mine down  :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn:
You can see your arrows in flight? I will havta' slow mine down   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    

I'm with Jeff, too. More helical means you're viewing more feather surface. (and yup, slower arrows) I did some extreme helicals last spring and they were really easy to see.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
All I can see with my arrows is some smoke....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©