3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 160 snuffers for elk?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Coiloil37

• Trad Bowhunter
160 snuffers for elk?
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
I'm fairly new to traditional archery but I've had training wheels for about 15 years and I've managed to take 13 elk. I've seen my share of penetration problems and I know a trad bow isn't putting out the same power as my old bow so I thought I would ask for your collective wisdom.
 I'm shooting a pronghorn, [email protected] (my dl) and I'm shooting 670 grain arrows with 275 up front. I've got 160 grain ace, el grandes, snuffers and vpa's and I would like to know what the elk hunters think about using the snuffers? I know the smart thing would be to hedge my bets and shoot the grizzlies or possibly the vpa's and I will probably shoot a couple of deer with the big snuffers before I trust them on an elk but what's YOUR opinion?

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 160 snuffers for elk?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:29:00 AM »
With that much bow you should not have penetration problems..im trying to decide if i want to use snuffers on elk this year too.. Im leaning toward 200gr Ace
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
With your setup. I wouldn't hesitate!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
I am with Guru one this one, just put the arrow where it needs to go, and no problems. Good luck in your endeavor.

Tony

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Poor elk.Those 160 snuffer will leave a nasty mark

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
75 @ 29.5 with a 670 gr arrow you can shoot any broadhead that you want.
Jeff Couture

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Ouch that will hurt them.

Offline Coiloil37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I'm glad to hear it, they certainly look like they would leave a messy bloodtrail. I've also got a [email protected] three piece slammer, would that be enough bow as well?
 I'm only hesitant because even with a wheel bow I don't shoot heads that big on elk, I've always valued the penetration I get from a 1-1/2" two blade so I know I'm getting an exit wound.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Ryan Rothaar took a nice elk last year with his Howard bow and 160 gr Snuffer. I believe his bow wt was around 60#.

Hmmm..wonder why Ryan chose a Snuffer...    :laughing:      :dunno:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I killed 3 Bulls with Snuffers out of a 65# Recurve. No problems.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I have taken a handful of elk with the smaller snuffers.  560 grain arrows, 60 lb, with a B50 string.

You have plenty of horse power to make it work without a second thought...as long as you get to full draw.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
That setup would crush anything that stepped in its path.  Roger has a real nice elk on his wall that a BIG Snuffer worked well on, I think he was shooting mid 60s.  Go forth and slay critters.

Offline Coiloil37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
I've got no issues hitting full draw at this weight. I've got another pronghorn that draws 85 lbs at my draw length that I sometimes short draw but I'm not going to attemp hunting with it yet, or possibly ever, the accuracy just isn't there.
 So theses snuffers won't handle bone very well will they? Even at this weight I would want a grizzly or similar if I hit something solid? I've heard the big snuffers are a lot tougher then their smaller siblings but they look to big to ask to punch through a spine or scapula.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
if the grizzly gives you more confidance shoot them.... i bet you'd be suprised to see what thoes snuffers will do to bone. of corse you dont what to hit any..... snuffers have been around for a long time for a reason.  they are good heads!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
I have shot 5 elk with a 72# recurve.  I did find all of them.  But I did not get an exit wound on any of them.  The distances were 7, 12, 12, 16 , 20 ,24 yards.  Only one was stopped by the opposite side bones.  The 24 yard shot was behind the shoulder, one rib.  stopped inside lungs but no exit.  Yes they are great head, but do not expect an exit hole.  Plenty will come out the entry hole.
capt eddie

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
With a bow that pulls 75# and a 670 grain arrow you can just about gurantee a passthrought with any of those heads you mentioned.
James Kerr

Offline Coiloil37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
posted 09 April, 2012 05:10 PM                          
I have shot 5 elk with a 72# recurve. I did find all of them. But I did not get an exit wound on any of them. The distances were 7, 12, 12, 16 , 20 ,24 yards. Only one was stopped by the opposite side bones. The 24 yard shot was behind the shoulder, one rib. stopped inside lungs but no exit. Yes they are great head, but do not expect an exit hole. Plenty will come out the entry hole.

That's what scares me. I've noticed from all the elk I've seen that if you deflate both lungs they don't go very far, if you only get one lung they can travel a long ways. How far did your elk go? Did you manage to deflate both lungs? Bloodtrails were sufficient?
I've never had an arrow stay in an animal before but I've heard they can do a lot of damage while the animals running. I still think I would prefer an exit.
 Maybe I'm better off with a centaur big game?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Good arrow flight trumps pretty much all other variables in arrow penetration.  If your arrows tune perfectly with the 160's and they are SHARP, you should have no issues with penetration, IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »
I like penetration myself. I always shoot two bladers. I usually get an exit wound. But I shot two of my elk in the scapula from a tree stand. The arrow went through the scapula and I still killed them. Would a snuffer make it through? I don't know. I also shot one in front of the hip and it came out alongside the neck. I shoot 65 lbs. and a 750 gr. arrow. I've shot seventeen now. Fourteen with a recurve, two with a longbow and one in the late eighties with a compound. I like the look of snuffers but the two bladers have worked so well for me that I just never shot anything with them. And I worry about not getting an exit wound. Another thing I notice is that when people go to hunt african game they always shoot two bladers for the penetration. Now if a two bladers is big enough to kill a cape buffalo with their overlapping ribs why does a smaller animal require a three or four blade? Gary

Offline Coiloil37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Sagebrush I know what your saying, I've taken one elk with a two blade, a silverflame. It took him down no problem but the bloodtrail wasn't as heavy as I've seen with multi blade heads. And my opinion on it is if you've got the horsepower to shoot big broadheads through an animal, why not? Now that doesn't cover a guy if he hits bone, but it might save him if he hits liver or gut.
  On one hand I almost believe if I hit bone, I screwed up, if it doesn't penetrate and the animal survives with no long term damage maybe that's ok. However if I hit liver or gut, I probably need more then a 1-1/8" cut to bring him down quickly, especially elk. I hit one once and got guts, liver and the back of one lung. He went a long, long ways before he layed down. I gave him eight hours and he had traveled about a mile before laying up.
  I know it's a compromise on both sides and neither is always right or wrong but it's nice to hear others opinions.
  I know if I hit them right with my setup the snuffer will go through, the question is what happens when the shot isn't perfect, or he's quartering away and I need 3' of penetration, will it provide that?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©