3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who still has frist bow you made?  (Read 866 times)

Offline MOBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Who still has frist bow you made?
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Who all still has the first wooden bow you ever made?  keith

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who still has frist bow you made?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
I may have some blood stained pieces of it somewhere. Long story short: don't tiller a selfbow in 5 miutes with a handheld belt sander.   :knothead:

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
:wavey:  I blewup a year ago I made in highschool in Homedale Idaho 1970 now is just hangs on the wall

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Still have mine, about 70#, 66-inch black locust selfbow.  Killed one deer with it several years ago.  Been sitting on the rack for quite a while because I can no longer shoot that weight.  One of these winters I'm going to take it down to about 55#.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
I still have mine! Both pieces! dave

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
I still have the first three I made.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Keith Deters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
I was making a hunting bow for myself from a hickory stave.  It ended up going to a 7yo girl who just this year, graduated high school.  

The bow still shoots.

Offline Mike Hames

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
I've got mine. Made it in the summer of 95. Osage selfbow, 65# @ 28". Piece of homemade buckskin for a grip. Killed three deer with. Had a little crack come up near the grip some time back and put some sinew on it. I might just take it out this fall and use it again.
Mike

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Don't have my first bow I made, but I have the first bow I made and took a buck with. 70# @ 28" osage selfbow 62".

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
The one on the far right is my first.  The Middle is my second and the left is my third.  I still have #1 and #3.  The center one I took down to about 25# and gave to a girl at a 4H shooting sports talk I did a few years back.

She's the one holding it on the left in this pic.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
I still have mine. I named it "Woodsmoke" cause it almost became firewood several times. I took a boar javie with it in South Texas at 5 steps. Hickory 64" ntn, 53#@28", cut in arrow shelf (say it ain't so!)about 1 1/2" of string follow. A real beast of a bow ha ha

http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/picofbowswevemade.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=155
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Wood and glass, yes. Haven't made a self bow yet, but will some day.   I named this one the Billy club..and for a good reason.
ChuckC

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
I do.  I gave it to my 9 yr old son.  Just made it in April, though.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
This young fella is still enjoying all 28# of it!    (It started out to be 45#)  :)

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
You always keep the first bow you made.  You never get rid of it.  Even if it broke just glue it back up for show.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
I still have mine.  It was 58" osage 60#@26".  The guy that gave me the stave said it was a little short, but being my first try, probably would make a bow anyway.  Because of a little luck and his instruction, it ended up coming out.  Since that time I have develop better shooting form and my draw length is closer to 28" now than the 26".  Last summer I decided to get it out and try and take an animal with it.  Everyday, I would string it and draw it a few times, increasing the draw length a little each day.  Hoping after a month or so, being able to draw it to 28".  Ended up overstressing it and heard a small tick noise on the shot.  Next shot it exploded near full draw, into three pieces.  Lucky, no serious injuries, just a small scratch and knot on my forehead.  I knew better than to keep pushing it, but still did.  I do still have the pieces and the memory of making it though.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
I still have my first bow 55# @ 28" maple self bow it came out good for my first serious bow project, I'm now looking to make some self bows from a hickory tree my dad and I cut down from my grandpas property.

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Still have mine and still use it for small game.Built that bow 19 years ago,lots of refinements since.Black glass and maple lams with paduke riser and lots of help from John of Old Master crafters.

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Still have mine.  Hickory board bow pulling 65lbs at 26".  And Stacks...........

Put a new string on it awhile back and took it out and shot.  It is my first ever bow.

Also have my first ever stave bow.  Osage flatbow pulling 60lbs at 27".  Got the stave from Joe Mattingly.  It's a special bow.

Two bows that I will never part with.
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Here's my first one on the left and No.6 on the right. The others I either broke or gave away.  I call these two David and Goliath. David is only 48" ntn, draws #40 @ 22" made from Osage w/sinew backing from some of the deer I shot, steam heated and R/D limbs sort of. I actually shot a doe with him his Birth year 1995. Goliath I made from Hackberry in 2004, 66" ntn, #47 @ 28". Has some string follow and shakes when shot. I shot a small 7 pointer on his Birth year and have taken several does since then. Try to make one or two a year. Am working on three at present.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©