3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzley bears who has hunted them  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzley bears who has hunted them
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
I  love the stories please keep them coming .this is for sure king of all in north america.want to see some pics an more stories.thank you guys ed

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
At the recent Professional Bowhunter Society Biennial gathering in Portland,OR.  Doug Borland, Don Thomas, & Ernie Holland hosted a panel discussion on Brown Bear Encounters.  General consensus on hunting big bears with bows:

A minimum .375 rifle back up in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot under pressure (Ernie prefers a .458).  

Never shoot a bear with a bow that knows you are there.  You will be charged.

There is safety in numbers.  The large majority of attacks are on one person.  The attack numbers go down significantly when two hunters are together, and with three people attacks are rare.

It was a great discussion wish you were there, and made me think hard about hunting Alaska.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
During the summer of 1976 while working on the Alaska Pipeline through the Brooks Range I was around a number of them. I was very leery of them, especially the ones that would come into the camps that had been fed by idiots to the point that they thought everybody on two legs was a Maitre'D. I only saw one, a sow with 2 cubs at a Remote Gate Valve site act the least bit agressively and we never left our vehicle and drove off. I saw people that summer do things so stupid with Grizzlies I just cringed but amazingly I don't think anyone was ever harmed by a Grizzly during the Pipeline's construction.
  My most lasting impression though was of a bear that I watched through binoculars on a steep hillside dig out and run down either a Parka Squirrel or a Marmot, I was too far away to tell which. Watching it happen deeply confirmed the fact to me that if you provoke a bear into a determined charge you had better be able to stop him.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
My son lived in Montana and moved back to marry his high school sweetheart. The next year his hunting buddy was hunting Elk and ran into a sow with two cubs. He tried to climb a tree and she ripped him out of the tree and chewed up his calf muscle on his leg and bit off a couple of toes. He told me the bear was over him just waiting for him to move. The cubs started to wander and she left. He got out of there with the help of a hiker he ran into. He told me he would of never of made it without help. They didn't do anything to the Sow because of the situation and she didn't show any sign of aggression after he was no threat.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Hunted Brown bears once a few years ago. Most adrenaline filled hunt I have ever been on.   Had four within 25 yards but no shots were taken. Two were a sow and cub the other two didn't present a shot opportunity for a bow hunter.
Jack Shanks

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
I cannot attest to Grizzly hunting but I do guide Brown Bear hunts. (Maybe splitting hairs but I wanted to be clear)

First off I do not consider them "tough" in the hide bone context. So as far as setting up an "Elephant bow" no need.

When a bear is shot with a gun it is game on! The bear is on the fight bad. I have only seen two rifle shot bears that went down and both were lucky shots. I only say this cause sharp broadheads in the right place amaze me everytime. (as if there should be anything other than a sharp broadhead haha)

Bottom line, when everything is right an arrow shot bear is basically uneventful compared to a rifle shot one. They roar and spin and try to run off, exactly like Fred Bears famous footage. But the pants crap factor is high!

We have had guys in camp who put down an insane amount of money and are risking their lives and others but I would say lack the hunting experience and really shouldn't be there. Your attitude,ability and equipment should be at a very high level.

I have crawled through the brush 3 different times looking for bad bow shots, all I can say is it makes me wish they never dropped the string.

My advice if you are serious. Know your equitment inside and out, learn to shoot like its automatic, and shoot a good solid 3 blade head.  

I have never guided a trad guy so I dont believe admin wants pics.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
I remember seeing a home movie filmed by two brothers who hunted in Alaska with recurves in the late 60s/early70s. They were walking on a game trail through some really thick high stuff and filming and a grizzly reared up not more than 7 feet from the lead archer. I'll never forget that pink fletch going into the grizzly's eye and the camera being dropped as they ran out of there. They waited on a hill all night and went back in the morning and it was dead.

The same archers shot a bedded caribou on a hillside in a snowstorm from 60 yards out. Again the pink fletch arcing into the caribou and it just rolled over dead.

Great film.
Is this a video on the web?  I would love to see it.

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
no thanks, big bears scare me, like big land great white sharks

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
:campfire:  I love threads like this; they take me to places that I have never really got to go.

Thanks to all of those who have posted!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I also like these post. when you read what some of these hunters write you can really feel there expearances in a way. in some cases you can feel there fear an it just make you wonder.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
You mean one of these?

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Dan,

We need to hear the story behind the picture......Please  :readit:     :bigsmyl:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Top of your bucket list or potentially the last item experienced on your bucket list?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
oh my, I just typed that and lost the hole thing grr...

I'm not a great story teller so.........

I saw the bear and put the stalk on.  Spent the better part of the morning closing the distance.  We almost shot this bear a week before.  My partner and I put the sneak on and managed to get 25 yards before we were busted.   So close, quite the experience, sitting over your buddies shoulder getting ready to watch him shoot his first grizz.   At the time we thought boar....It was a sow I found out in the end.   She zigged, we zagged game up.

Week later I was headed back out for sheep and there she was again....stalk's on.  

Snowing/sleeting.  She was out feeding in a blueberry patch.   Had the wind.  Kind of unbelievable both times had good wind, this bear threw all caution to it, walking with the wind at her back.   Last time we came in low, she beat us high...this time I came in high in the spruce.  Honestly I didnt think a shot was going to happen.  Thought I was too far in the trees when I realized I was standing in the perfect 'hide'.   A wedge of head high spruce with openings in each one.   In front of me had one lone almost cedar looking tree, short and wide.  instead of continuing left, she came up.  To my right was a row of trees angling down with a nice shooting area in front minus that one goofy tree at my 11 position 15 yards or so out.  I figured she'd walk left....a lot goes through mind on a bear alone if you've never done it.  Left had the nice opening, more of an edge I figured she'd follow.

I think it was 97 when I did my first  stalk.  10 yards, a nice bear in a hole, , blonde arctic grizz, digging for gold.   I walked right up to that bear, it came out....talk about buck fever, I shot way over that bears back.... Mind you I hadnt shot but one deer that was it with a bow.   To say nerves where through the roof would be an understatment.   I did have back up on this bear.

99, after shooting a ram, (reaked liked sheep), I managed to sneak in on a monster.  As big of an interior bear as I've seen minus one....we've got eyes on a hoss we've been hunting since 2002 off and on he is the only interior bigger I've seen anywhere, and he's a monster.   anyways, this bear at 18 yards stood up looked around and came back down to feed....I came unglued at the seams LOL.  Dont go in a alder thicket after a bear when you reak like sheep...I found myself in his home, trails all over, branches broken....not good.  I got smart and backed out, never did see that big guy again.  

back to 2011, This bear came in and instead of going to the left came right at me.  When I realized what was going to happen I knew I was done for.   What I failed to notice about my wedge of trees is it had almost a solid row continuing down that hill on my right side I was standing in the openings of my wedge....she came in angling head on (now I know better to shoot here lol).....and did the same slow head tilt look she did a week before.  This time she woofed very softly, almost like when you breath hard when you first stop running after a sprint.....that first big exhale (before you go going gasping for air lol).   instead of running, she took that right leg and stepped downhill giving a perfect broadside shot.   I have no idea why, she had to have seen me???.....someone was watching out from above in many more ways than one on this one.   at some point I had gotten to half draw...and when she turned arrow was off.  

Blood trail....huh?????   I couldnt even find foot prints, muskeg, grrrr    ;)   .  I did have a good visual out to 50 yards or so.   wounded bear....snowing sleeting, no blood, alone, no backup.  not fun LOL!   Once you gain your composure (if thats a possible thing), you start your circles.  I thought I saw her bite the arrow right before I lost site so I focused on that.   I kept thinking she went straight and didnt do a complete circle...instead she made a 90 up hill....on one of my return loops I was getting close to where I figured the arrow was, looked up and saw her in a hole, not 20 yards from where I was using as my pivot point for the half circles.   And not 5 steps away, layed a bit, arrow busted in 2 places.  About 75 yards from shot to recovery.  Arrow entered and smacked the off side shoulder.  

After I skun the bear and headed back out....I walked the route one more time and realized she had taken the exact same path as she did the last time we stalked her.   She came up in the exact spot we spooked her...the shot happened no more than 25 yards from where we were last time.  

Hoping we find the big guy this fall, I have to wait the mandatory wait, but I may go looking for him with a buddy if he's up for it.  

60lb liberty chief takedown....29.5" doug fir, 2 blade eskimos I've shot since day 1.   I honestly dont remember the weight.   She's not a big bear skull was just at 18 by fish and game measurements, but I wouldnt change a thing!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
:scared:    :scared:    :scared:    :scared:    :readit:  
Not on your life. I do not even want to be in the same country as a Grizz.

I love to hunt and be in the woods, but not with one of them, uh uh no way.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline MOFISH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
I was pretty interested up until the story about the guy losing his butt cheek, now not so much.  :scared:

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
I have a tough time deciding if bighorn sheep or A grizz (brown Bear) hunt would be my dream hunt! Gotta go with the fear factor I think and choose the grizz! Someday if I can find an affordable hunt I will be going!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Sheep!!!!!

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Dan thanks for the story, beautiful hide on that bear. Congrats !
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
danny rowan them pretty silver tips will take down the grizz,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©