3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzley bears who has hunted them  (Read 1183 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzley bears who has hunted them
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
AkDan you be tha' man! What a great read this thread is. I am interested for sure and someday I will go   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
AkDan, Congrats BIG time! Tremondous picture of your Grizz and great story telling too by the way.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Love these type of threads.....please keep 'em coming.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Dan what a rush that would have been there is somtheing about hunting animals that can bite back or stomp up into the ground it takes it to the next level good luck with the big guy Thanks Shane

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Gorgeous Grizz Dan!
Sure wish I was a little(maybe a whole lot) younger!!!  :archer:    :dunno:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
thanks guys, she's definatly a stunning critter!  I did fail to mention the shot distance.    a whopping 5 steps!  

Shane, you ever go after waterbuff?  I've kicked this idea around twice now.   I'm thinking it might be on the radar for 2013 depending on costs door to door.   Gotta start thinking about it seriously and building up bow weight for it.

Another trip years ago..had a guy up from MI fishing with me for trout/salmon for a couple of days.   My unit was on block leave and his unit came up to cover for us...he pulled a couple days off and got the experience of a lifetime.   Sometime throughout the night a bear came into camp....a vary young habituated bear, went right for the cooler.  everything else (food and trash) was in trees.   This little brown nocked over the cooler filled with cloths (only dry spot we had other than in the tent, we  had brought the cooler for salmon if we got into any the last day to bring home for dinner, works well as a dry bag in a pinch lol).   Anyways, it ripped the end of his shaving kit bag open like a candy bar and bit a hole in my plastic spoon I borrowed him covered in cheese from mt house lasagna. The cooler was sitting next to the tent...when it nocked it over, it hit the tent right behind my head.  The bear couldnt have been a couple steps from my head at most and you couldnt hear a thing! That bear ended up getting shot that night in another camp (we dont carry firearms) and some how I got put on point as tracker, not fun, 3 unknown dudes all carrying big bore rifles in some nasty thick alders.   Thankfully as we bumped the bear, my boat ride out pulled in and I had to turn back.   I never heard if they did get that bear.   there's one awfully spooked yooper running around lol.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
I have about 7-8 coastal brown hunts under my belt, most solo.   I've shot one small one at 13 yards (solo) and been much closer several times.  Griz act different in different locales, situation, etc.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Not actually hunted them but been real close while hunting other things, adds a whole new perspective to things...

In this pic from a MT hunt in "06" the 450#er is right below my stand which was only six feet off the ground, that put him maybe 4' away...   :scared:  The reason it's kind of dark is because he "kept" me in the tree till probably 45 min after dark. He had to have known I was up there but never paid any attention to me.

The reason I know he was 450# is FWP trapped him a couple days later as a nuisance bear. They relocated him about 60 miles away, two months later he was back with his nice new collar...

Incredible animals and I'd have a real hard time turning down an opportunity to hunt them if it ever arose...
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Doug that is a cool picture. I have never hunted them but have been around them some and have had them hunt me Does that count?
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I have never hunted them but a few years ago I was with a group of guys that shot one. For a Texas boy, being next to a grizzly for the first time, was an awesome experince. It was a great privilege for me to feel the fur and to lift the paws, to look at this predator with complete amazement. I hope to one day actually hunt one.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Years back, I had the honor to hunt British Columbia coastal grizzlies with famed guide Clayton Mack.
If memory serves, at one time, Clayton had guided hunters who had 3 in the B&C top 10.

I shot a nice bear, but I did so with a rifle.

The hunting was walking up small tributaries and basically coming into very close contact with grizzlies while they were looking for salmon.
For example, my dad killed a giant B&C male, again with a rifle, but at literally 10 yards.

Personally, I wouldn't care to do so with a bow, in that style of hunt.

Clayton Mack was a Bella Coola Indian and obviously had great respect for bows. But even he wouldn't take bowhunters after a while.

He spent about 6 months in the hospital after a mauling and he said he'd killed too many bears at this feet, as the backup gun, to do anymore bowhunts.

Personally, having done it with a rifle, in that style of very close quarters hunting, I would not want to do so with a bow.

Many fishermen in Alaska have had contact with more "tame like" grizzlies and they are used to human contact and not much of a problem.

Where we were in Bella Coola BC, the bears weren't tolerant of humans.

In all honesty, we had a couple instances with smaller grizzlies doing a false charge where I was nervous with a .300 mag in my hands. Again, just me personally, I wouldn't care to do it with a traditional bow. I have a wife and 4 kids I'd like to see again, and hug with both my arms.

Clayton...

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Some intense stories. I don't know if I want to hunt them or not.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Tame grizzlies?   lol,

The big problem with bears...they are all different, and like people, we are all different on different days.  Catch me on a bad day and watch out.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
You know what I mean. LOL On some popular rivers and some popular "lodges", lots of fishermen co-mingle with bears in sight. The bear are more used to seeing the fishermen in some of those spots.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Bob; i have read Clayton Mack's book, a biography that was written by someone from notes by Claytons hospital bed. Great Book!   :thumbsup:

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Doug; Nice inland Grizz in that Pic. I've been through Glacier national park several times, but have never been fortunate enough to see a Grizzly.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I need to get that book. My dad shot 2 different bears with Clayton and when Clayton scouted what he believed to be the new world record bear, he actually called my dad because he wanted my dad to be the one to shoot it, since the two of them got along so well.

But get this, this is how great Clayton was. My dad told him that he couldn't go because he'd just gone with Clayton the year before and couldn't afford it and, it's been so long ago, I was only like 2 years old, and my dad didn't think he could leave for two weeks again.

Well, Clayton said don't worry, the trip was free, on him, and all my dad had to do was pay the plane ticket. Clayton said "Bob, I want you to shoot this bear".

That's an offer you don't refuse! So my dad went out and they ended up passing 18 other grizzly, but never did see that giant bear again. Clayton said it was the biggest bear he'd ever seen with a massive head and he was sure it'd go #1.

My dad and Clayton got close. At several daylights, they found the tracks and salmon with blood flowing from the bear, but the bear was too spooky, even for Clayton.

That's just a great story about Clayton. He and my dad really hit it off and it was a pleasure to spend 10 days with him in that tiny trappers cabin. His nephew Obie Mack was also with us.

Clayton had so many stories, I wonder if that made the book? Do you recall?

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Sergio,

There's a couple books on Clayton Mack.

Was it...

Grizzlies and White Guys-The Stories of Clayton Mack?

Bella Coola Man-More Stories of Clayton Mack?

I should go thru all our pictures. I bet I have as many pics of Clayton and the camp as anyone out there, from a total of 4 trips with my dad.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
another good read is by pinnel and talifson, last of the great brown bear men.  

Story of 2 master guides on kodiak.  I dont think they have any bowhunters in the book.  Regardless some of the stories will have you crawling out of your seat!   I have another good read, a little harder to find, can't remember the name of it off hand.   I'll try and remember to dig it up when I get home.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Here's a cool pic with Clayton and his hunters with the #2 B&C bear...  

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Bob; i've got the Book in my hand! It's "Grizzlies and White guys". I really enjoyed reading it and will immediately try to order the other one.
         i've read quite a bit on the Bella Coola area, sure would like to arrow a Grizz, and the Bella Coola has big ones!
          I'll let you know if there are any stories of your Dad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©