3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzley bears who has hunted them  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzley bears who has hunted them
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Very cool. I'm going to order both. I wonder if any of my dads stories are in it?
If you come across the story of the hunter that got caught in a landslide when a boulder gave way on a goat stalk right by camp, that was my dad! LOL
Frankly, he's lucky to have walked away from it with only lots of scrapes and cuts. He sure beat up his Weatherby in the slide down. It was mostly loose shale, but there were some big boulders mixed in. Lucky!

Clayton nailed up my dads shredded up pants to the cabin wall and he showed them off to any other hunters who wanted to go chase after goats! LOL

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
While he had many places he hunted, I was at the old cabin at the very end of Owikeno Lake.

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Dan ive got a few buff with the compound they are big and tuff not a real danger to hunt like cape buff just real big and hard to get a lot of peno on Thanks Shane

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I know that Scott Koelzer of Montana has killed at least 3-4 grizzlies with his Silvertip bows.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Although lost the desire to bear hunt a few years ago due to a friend’s pet bear cub, this was a cool thread and enjoyed it much…. Thanx to all whom shared…

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
hunted a few times in Montana and called a sow and cub in with a cow call ,lucky for me they went the other way when they got close enough to figure me out, they saw me at about 40 yards ,and that was close enough for me ,that same year i saw nime different grizzlies well i know at the very least five some could've been the same ones, huge animals i tell you  it sure lets you know your mot the top of the food chain with a bow in your hand. i now know how the rabbit feels looking over his shoulder, and to quote fred bear it will cleanse the soul, gib

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
There are few things I won't chase. But I have no real desire to shoot a grizzly or big brown with a bow. Nor an african lion or leopard.

Now I truly want to hunt those animals but like a guy said above. I have a wife and 4 kids. Would like to hold my wife for the rest of my life and be able to pick up my grandkids one day.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I saw a huge boar in Denali a couple years ago.  His head was literally garbage can size; he had little brown pig eyes that stared right through me and made the goose-bumps crawl on my back!  I knew from the look in his eyes that I was a very inferior creature and literally just as important as a ground squirrel.  Right then I decided that I would not ever try to take one with a bow.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Bow hunted Moose in the Tic- chic narrows area of Alaska .
Saw at least a dozen grizzlies within 60 yards., including walking up on a sow with 2 cubs! She was not happy . She reared up , growled and popped her teeth at us. Why she didnt come for us I,m not sure, but I will never forget the way she looked at me.
I would not do that again with out my 375 H&H in my hands.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Had serious grizzly hunt prep work and planning in the works many years back. Then experienced something I have neither both or after have had happen. I had three consective nights of three different extremely vivid dreams which ended poorly. Each time I woke up in a sweat right at the moment of my departure from this earth.
I cancelled my plans that week and have never looked back. Even if the dreams were just dreams, they revealed to me that my mental prep was far below parr.

Even the formidble leopard hunts elsewhere when he is aware that the big cats are in the vicinity.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
:campfire:   :coffee:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I will do it someday soon with my buddy Yote Robertson, who guides in AK. His dad Dick took one in Russia years back. However, if I find myself with but a few months to live, I'm going north to pick a fight with a griz armed with only my Randall Knife. I can think of no better way to exit this world than to become grizzly crap. It's my way of going "green."
DonD

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Don, I can think of a million ways better than being ripped apart by a bear.
Good luck with that!!
LOL
Glenn

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »
I guide in Afica since 1987 , wounded buy a leopard in 1988, then by a buffalo in 2003 : The first encounter with a grizzly bear was in north of BC and it is the most respectable wild animal i had never seen in the wild, i was hunting black bear ans this big bear came out at 15 yards not noticing me , i had the bow in hands , he was full broadside, not even looking but..... i had no tag for grissly but for sure i will remember that day all my life .

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Dang alligatordond – Believed I was the only one that thought that way, only I'm taking a spear...8^)

Have never been to Alaska (yet), or flown in a bush plane, but have instructed my kids to scatter my ashes out of a bush plane somewhere over Alaska.

May not make it there in life, but someday in spirit...8^)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Glen St. Charles had an interesting point in his book, "Bows on the Little Delta".  He suggested that hunting dangerous game (like Griz) with back-up rifles was probably not right. He didn't come right and say he thought it wasn't Fair Chase but he definitely leaned that way.  I had never thought of his point but it made sense to me and has me wondering.

I would imagine it is a whole different ball game when you are stalking a Grizzly or Kodiak with a guide tote'n a 375 at your back. I'd bet (maybe me too) a lot of folks would forego that experience if no rifle has your 6.

I think a black-maned lion would be the most dangerous thing to be in bow-range of. I'm sure I can't even imagine the feeling.

Of course it is a legal requirement in some areas and on some hunts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©