3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: some of the big ones are out (added den pics etc)  (Read 478 times)

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
some of the big ones are out (added den pics etc)
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Covered ~9 miles the other day and came across this guys sign.  Judging by his tracks, probably a 9'+ brown bear.  Tracks are very faint as they are on crusty ice in the sunlight, he had just crossed a large river.  The pics aren't great but they turned out better than I thought.
This is a hind track, about all you can see is the hind pad.  My glove is ~ 10.5" long for reference.

And here's my glove again and a pic of his trail.  Note how far it is from side to side from his left side tracks and his right side, and especially the length of his stride.

I'll be hunting them late this fall and would be well-pleased if this guy came by.       :campfire:    

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: some of the big ones are out (added den pics etc)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
Man, there is just something wild about big bear tracks.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
most people have no Idea just how much power is in every step these animals they are power packed creachers.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Those are cool! Thanks for sharing. Good hunting this fall, keep us informned.  :thumbsup:

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
WOW, That is a monster of a track!!!

Thanks for posting
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
That's impressive.From the width of his stride,that bear must be built like a tank.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Cool tracks!
James Kerr

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
That's neat.....looks to be a real good one!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
wish I had time I'd come down and be backup...I cant shoot again till this fall.

Hard to tell size by hind feet..but it sure has the appearance of a very nice bruin!  

Heard of a few blackies out up this way....should be full bore when I get from thunderchicken madness.

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
That is pretty large

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Wow. Someday.....
is it September yet??

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
A week ago or so a friend spotted a den from a distance, wasn't sure if it was a brown or black bear den, or if the bear(s) were still in it.  There were several trails leading from/to it in the snow.  I checked it out a few nights later from a couple miles away and saw a small bear.  Thought it was a small black bear, now we think it was a brown bear cub.
Pic a few nights before we hiked in, the den is the mud spot w/dirt rolling down hill from it, in center of pic.

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
So we spent yesterday hiking/climbing in, hoping a black bear would be near that we could stalk, or that the den would be empty and we could check it out inside.
Ran into a number of these guys coming and going, season closed 3 weeks ago.  He's the white dot kinda in the center.

Here's a closeup, a male rock ptarmigan, still all white except for some black tail feathers.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
It was kindof tough going, really steep and lots of snow, and a little dicey between the two.  A little tuf finding the den as we needed to be right on top of it to find, as we hiked in above it, then over, then started coming down.
Here's a pic of a spot a bear dug out, near the den.  Looks like a den but isn't, real shallow.  Dark brown hairs in it, so uh-oh its some brownies and not a black bear...Tracks between it and the den we found later.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Great pictures. That is something few ever get to see.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
We found the den after a bit, and by tracks, hairs etc decided it was a sow brown bear with cubs, and might be still in it.  So we only got as close as 60 yards and left it at that.  Maybe we'll come back in a month or so and check the den out when its empty and the snow isn't so sketchy.

Here's pics of the den, its in the center, I'll zoom closer each time.

Closer...

Last one.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Couple more ptarmigan pics on the way out.

Ptarmigan in a snow storm is kindof an Alaskan joke, when you take a pic of something and it ends up all white...i.e., its a pic of ptarmigan in a snow storm.  But this is actual.  There a 2 of them in the pic.  (it snowed and rained on us).

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
And I like this one, he was hot-footin' it across the snow on his specially feathered feet.  One foot reaching the other pushing.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Way cool, thanx for sharing.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Good stuff! Great pics...   :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©