3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare shaft tuning hell  (Read 460 times)

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shaft tuning hell
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I am almost beginning to think the biw is mismarked too light as the 2016 fly great spine wise out of a 50 lb bear grizzly from 1978

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
There is a big difference in performance from a modern bow and a '78 Bear Grizzly.  Poundage does not represent performance.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Ok, an update.  I gave up on the 2016's due to them showing so weak earlier.  I went to the GT 5575's with 200 gr up front.  The first thing I did was tie an upper nock point on the string, and flight seemed to improve a little... moved the nock point down a bit to get the best flight I could out of some different lengths laying around, and found that 30 3/8" to the end of the brass insert to the nock groove seemed to give good flight with the bare shafts.  Some nock high on flight, like planing, but as it enterred the target it looked pretty straight.  Also, it enterred where I was aiming, which is always nice.  I havent fletched any up yet, but plan on that later tonight or tomorrow and shoot a few Snuffers to see how BH fly.  As this seemed to help, i have not done any changing of my form to try to get rid of my high elbow or changing finger pressure.  

Putting the upper string nock on seemed to help straight outa the gate, so now I am optomistic.  I also adjusted my nock fit to try to make it a little looser just holding the arrow on teh string, not snapping on. My nock measures out at 1/2" above shelf.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
golden!  time to start group testing....bare shafts with fletched, and than fletched with broadheads for final tuning.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Double ties high and low on all my bows. Learned that one from Charlie Lamb. Those loose nocks will give ya nightmares moving after a release.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©