3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Takedown question  (Read 334 times)

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Takedown question
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Guys I am saving for a new Bear Takedown and have a question, I have heard that sometimes they make a "creaking noise" when Drawn, anyone experience this? Have you found the cause or cure? Give me some heads up.
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Takedown question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Been a long time since I've handled a Bear takedown, but I've heard other takedown bows "creak" too. Atleast the ones I've shot did it after you put the limbs on and they too a shot or two to settle in. Not sure this helps with the Bear though.
Aim small miss small

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I've never had a bear takedown make any kind of noise like that.I doubt you will have a problem.They are built entirely different than other take downs.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
I have had some of the older ones creak the first time I pulled them back after sitting awhile. Kind of hit or miss I guess. After that first creak they settle and don't make any noise after that initial pull back.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I just read a bow report in "Bowhunting World" and the gentleman doing the report said the only complaint he had was that the bow "creaked". I was just wondering if anyone else was familiar with this issue. I still plan on buying one, I am a devoted Bear recurve shooter.
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline Travis62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
A little lub. on the leather pad on the clasp and it should be gone.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
In Bowhunting World he mentioned that it creaked when first drawn and then the limbs settled and did not make further noise.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
I've been through several Bear TDs the past couple of years including a pretty new Bubinga model I recieved a month or so ago.  I've never hear the creaking.

However, if the creaking is high-pitched and a tad bit harsh and sounds anything like "take the trash out, mow the grass, check out this purse" I have trouble with those frequencies.

Offline STUMP THUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Have a new Bear bubinga no creaks here.
This past winter I have shot several different handles, and interchanging different limbs to the handles and I didn't experence any noise in any of them.All the latches were in good shape, I guess you have to check the leather strip, thats the only place I could see there would be any "creaking" sound.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
No creaking on my new red stripe.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
I have an early 80's green stripe and new Bubinga riser I just got both bows just recently. No creak or noise whatsoever .
Both shoot really well.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Never a peep, squeak, squeal, or groan from my 1970 "A" riser and #1 limbs.

I have heard of some folks encountering a noise initially after seating the limbs and shooting the first shot.  It seems to go away after that. I've never encountered it though.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the feed back fellas, Tradgangers are awesome.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
I get a bit of noise at times if I haven't drawn my bow in a while. But its nothing more than string wax sticking as the bow is drawn. Sometimes a little funny to watch someone else draw the bow. They think they broke it! Course this can happen with any bow.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
The leather pad in the clamp gets dry on the older ones and as someone mentioned tends to creak the first time you draw it.. Saddle soap helps but a new pad will fix it..

Also there have been some issues with the brass bushing in the limb but.. It can on some bows and sets of limbs cause a clicking sound..Typically you either make the screw head smaller or the ID of the bushing bigger.. It's only purpose is to make sure you put the limbs on the right end.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
What Earl E. said above. Been thru about a dozen or more of them thru the years with a few "creakers" in the bunch. OK when you're shooting them but after they relax awhile you'll get that awful noise on the first draw. Lube up the leather pads and it helps, had a couple that still creaked when I pulled the pads right off and there was no contact. Pulled out the brass bushings in the locator holes and that fixed the problem. Super shooting bows with a ton of history behind them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:00 AM »
Earl's right. I have a new/old A mag riser. It's in great shape but I had a creak too. Thru some other posts I saw to lube up the leather on the latches. I rubbed some "Pitch Blend" into them. Problem solved.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
I have seen some guys remove the leather pad and replaceable it with a 3/4" round felt pad. The kind you buy for putting on vases etc so they don't scratch the table.. Seems to work fine..
I am guessing a Velcro pad would work well too.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©