3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't go changin'...  (Read 338 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't go changin'...
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
To try and please me...

Why don't I listen to myself.  I recently bought a used one piece recurve.  Thought I would treat myself to a birthday present.

Well, I went out to shoot it today as my Nebraska turkey trip is fast approaching.  I shot about 50 arrows and was all over the place.  Readjusted my brace height slightly, tried adjusting the nock point slightly, even tried different arrows.

Finally I went and got a red oak board bow I had made.  Shot that thing just as bad if not worse.  In fact, I missed the target completely and hit the neighbors garage.  I guess it's a good thing the house was foreclosed on and they've since moved?

Then I went and grabbed my first bow.  A take down bow (see my avatar) that I had help building back in '93.  I've shot this bow for many years.  It took my first deer and turkey.

I was stacking arrows.  Never felt better.  Why do I feel the need to change thing's up?  Why can't I be content with the thing's I have that I?!

You've never let me down before...

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't go changin'...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Guilty!! I have a new bow on the way soon. Don't need it, just want it. Can't explain why. Go figure. Stick with what you know is your best bet, but you always wonder....
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Ha! Yesterday I saw Big Jim's post that he had GT blems but no 5575s. I got to thinking, what if I got some 3555s, shortened my arrows a little and added more weight? Maybe stiffened them with the 1.5" aluminum footings I made but never used? Maybe I could go up to 225grain heads, maybe 250...

:knothead:

"Snap out of it!" said a little voice.

:archer2:
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Phew, I'm glad I'm not alone in this club.

-Jeremy  :coffee:

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Thats what the off season is for! I can never stop tinkering this time of year. Once October rolls around I don't change a thing for 3 months.

The old tried and true was probably once an experiment itself.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I agree, i wouldn't change a proven set up either, least wise not to save a few bucks.

The 5575's are always available just not always as blems.

By the way, we do  have some 5575 blems, just not in woodgrain.
thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Jeremy,
 I too, feel your angst. I have to remind myself (again) of an Old West credo - 'Beware the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it.'
                           Best regards, Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
What was the recurve that you bought?I ll try to avoid it in the classifieds.. lol
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by el greco:
What was the recurve that you bought?I ll try to avoid it in the classifieds.. lol
Now that's funny. The grass sure is greener over the septic tank - just like Erma Bombeck said.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I have been there as well, I feel your pain.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
YeeeeeeeeP !All part of the process.In 50 years of shooting I,ve never been content with a certain style or even a specific bow,I've got 3 more coming this week.Some of us do have it worse than others.HEED my words my friend!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
I just did the same thing .. Got a longbow that shoots great for me .. Saw a beauty of a 1 pc recurve in the classifieds that Bought , she shot great off the bat , put her down though and grabbed my longbow back up, can't shoot em both
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Yep, it sometimes takes a while to realize that sometimes the old ways ain't so bad.
James Kerr

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
El Greco,

That's funny.  My first thought was "Can I get my money back if I re-sell it?"  Don't worry though, I'll be sure to mark it "damaged goods".

I get the whole tinkering thing too.  But after so many thing's I try, and they don't improve anything, I start to get frustrated thinking it's me that sucks.  When in reality what I'm trying to get something to do is probably not working.  It's an awful cycle.

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 03:14:00 AM »
Just the opposite of Motherlode: have a great TD recurve but just had to have a longbow. Bought one.Have shot it for a few weeks and now ready to go back to the recurve. If I would spend as much time working on my form and less time trying to buy things I THINK will help me shoot better I would be on my way to a better archer! But man ain't it fun!!

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
No doubt some work much better for us than others.. I think that once we find something that works getting famililar with it in all aspects is the key
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
We are always trying for better and we don't appreciate what we have.I am done buying.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Well, well, well.  Wouldn't you know it I picked up the recurve again.  I also tried some tapered cedars I had sitting in the back corner of my den.  I hadn't even thought to try them as I had put them away because I had been having such good results with my alluminums.  

Low and behold they shot straight and pounded the target out of my new used bow.  I threw some Bear Razorheads on them and I'm takin' them West in a few days.  I'll be sure to post pics and results if everything comes together.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©