3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quietest mild reflex deflex  (Read 421 times)

Offline mildrd

• Trad Bowhunter
Quietest mild reflex deflex
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that no hybrid will ever be as quiet as a mild rd longbow if both are properly tuned.Want to buy a mildly rd longbow and need some help.Quiet is my main concern,forgiveness second,handshock third and speed a distant fourth.What builder and model would you recommend?I need a locator grip as I do not shoot a straight grip as well.What length would you recommend as I have shot mostly hybrids.I did have a Robertson Purist that I loved but the grip didn't agree with me.Traded for a Sky longbow and it is very quiet as my Robertson was.Have been very impressed with everything I've read of Liberty longbows.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quietest mild reflex deflex
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Liberty Contender and or a Kohannah Windtalker.I would have said Green Mountain but Jim isn't making bows anymore,they were a quaility longbow.Fox also makes an excellent longbow.

Offline Australiamick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
For the qualities that you're looking for, I don't think you would be able to go past a Mohawk bow. Mine is the quietest bow I've shot. With heavish arrows, there's no sound at all. It has zero handshock. It has a very mild deflex/reflex, but you can't see it when it is strung. It also shoots a fairly fast arrow. To top it all off, they're relatively inexpensive as well as being a very nice looking bow.

Mick
The only hunts I regret are the ones that didn't happen.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Great Northern offers their Bushbow and Critter Gitter with either a straight or locator grip.  I've had 7 or 8 over the years; all were very quiet.  I've settled on the Bushbow; have two.  I have a Monarch that's also very quiet; just too heavy for me anymore.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Mildrd,  I agree with your conclusion.  That's why I'm shooting straight and mild reflex/deflex bows.  Liberty is a very nice bow.  My brother has a Chief Elite, which has a little more reflex/deflex than the Contender.  Still very quiet.  I shoot mostly Roberstons, Hills and Dwyers.  The Dwyer mild reflex/deflex longbow is very smooth and quiet.  With a D-97 string, it's as quiet as the Hills, and may be the quietest longbow I have.  In fact, I'd rate it's characteristics in the exact order of your preferences.  Very quiet and forgiving, very little hand shock.  Not a speed demon, but fast enough.  I particularly like it with bamboo limb cores.  Good luck.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I just got a bow that is a little more than mild RD, but it is the quietest bow that I have shot without silencers. It has enough reflex in it that I figured it would be noisy, but surprisingly not.
I can't say enough about it. It has everything I want in a bow. Low shelf, quiet, light, snappy shot, cut to center shelf.
It is a STIK bow made by Don Dow, 60".
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
The Northern Mist Baraga is a bow worth considering. It has a mild R/D design that maintains the "D" shape when strung. It is an extremely quiet bow and can be had with several style grips to include the locator grip. Steve Turay's craftsmanship is first rate with a price tag that won't break the bank. Choice of length, poundage, veneers, risers, etc., sure to please.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Should also throw a Great Northern Critter Gitter into the mix.  Don't have one now, but usually have at least one in my stable.  Nice quiet, quick bow.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
You have found the answer Mildrd. And I think in the exact right order. Good luck with the bow search. BTW I went that route about 5 yrs ago and can testify to the wisdom of it. It makes it so much easier to succeed.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
RERBOWS makes a very silent shooter.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
The Fedora Extreme and the Xcellerator would have you covered on everything you mentioned except the speed thing; you might find either of them to be annoyingly fast  ;)

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Dryad Hunter

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Mild, than I would say the two quietest I ever owned or shot were a 7 Lakes and a Roy Hall Cherokee, without question they were a whisper. If you want a quiet bow with a little more bend than Shrew, Vortex and several others. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Great Northern Bushbow and Liberty Contender.

Offline bgremill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Call Roy Hall at Navajo Longbows if you want a quiet, solid performing bow.  Like Shawn said, they are the quietest bows I've ever heard or shot.  I've tried to shoot recurves and more agressive longbows; but, I think having a silent bow is more important than speed so that's what I shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©