3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking to order a new Widow. Questions on grip?  (Read 463 times)

Offline Smeans

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking to order a new Widow. Questions on grip?
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Next Friday I am going to Black Widow bows to get a tour of the shop and shoot some demo bows.   :)  

I am a longbow shooter but like the way their takedown recurves look. I noticed they have a "low wrist" grip option for the longbow shooters. How much difference is their between that grip and a normal longbow grip? If I get it will I be able to swap bow styles or will it mess up my longbow shooting?

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking to order a new Widow. Questions on grip?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
If you're talking about a locator type grip then I will say there is a pretty big difference.  The low grip basically lets you shoot with a flatter palm but it still has all the characteristics of a recurve grip, to me.  It still has a pretty pronounced throat when compared to a longbow grip and a swell to fill the palm.  With that being said I switch between the PL grip and the low wrist pretty easily.  I'd stay away from that shop if I were you...dangerous place    :D
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I have owned both but , I have been shooting their standard grip for twenty plus years. With that said I ordered PCH with the low wrist grip to try and could not get used to it. So I sold the bow. If you primarily shoot longbows I would stick to the grip that is closest to your longbow. If you want to switch back and forth.

Could I have gotten used to the low wrist? Yes, but to switch back and forth with my regular grips no to much of a pain.

Have fun on the tour, I flew out a few years ago and got the tour. A finer group of folks you will not meet.

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
I have had all three grips and still do. I have not noticed any difference in swapping from bow to bow but I do not close my hand around the bow.  My favorite grip is the low and I am not a longbow shooter.  You will have plenty of bows to shoot when you get there.  They also have a custom grip option if you want to go that route.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I prefer an Asbell Grip on a Widow.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I primarily shoot longbows.  I prefer their low wrist on their 3 piece bows as it is nearer the wrist angle that I am used to.  YMMV.

Offline Smeans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
I primarily shoot longbows.  I prefer their low wrist on their 3 piece bows as it is nearer the wrist angle that I am used to.  YMMV.
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
When you are there shoot all and see what is best for you. Have fun and shoot all the bows you can.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Be sure to take some pictures for us, and look for my bow while you're there. It is a PCHX zircote riser and curly maple limbs. Should be done in the next few weeks, but maybe you can get a sneak peak for me  :)    Mike

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
I have an Asbell grip on my PSA and a lag grip on my PLX.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©