3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who has been treed by a tusker  (Read 352 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
who has been treed by a tusker
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
I would like to hear your pig stories ever been ran down,treed or just flat ran over. how about busted on a stalk an ran out by a 300 lb hog that was madder than crazy.tell us about your hunt,put us there with ya an share the out come.you all have some great stories an good expearances.an I want to hear about them thank you all ED

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who has been treed by a tusker
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »
Well I didn't get treed but my guide did because of a poor shot I made. We where working a creek bed, I was down low in the flats and my son was up on the high banks directly across from me and our guide was up on the high bank to but was about 40 yards in front of my son.

All of a sudden I jumped the loan boar laying in a bunch of rocks and he bolted up the bank between my son and the guide, I hurried my shot and gut shot the pig and he ran straight at the guide sending him up a tree.

The boar circled back down the bank and my second shot hit the goodie box and he piled up 30 yards down the creek bed. Yeah, I heard about that all weekend. The boar dressed out at 230lbs.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I was hunting pigs on a ranch in NE New Mexico. We were using dogs to run a big boar. We followed the barking over a hill onto a sage flat where the hog was running back and forth between the dogs. We walked up to withing about 30 yards. I should have known something was up when the "guide" leans over and whispers "I'm not responsible for anything that happens." Very comforting. I ease up a few more yards and then the hog sees me and charges. NO TREES within a mile. I have the arrow nocked and put the bow down to try and protect my legs. The hog literally runs into the broadhead and breaks the arrow in half. I am trying to back up and trip all the while keeping the bow between the boar and my legs. The "guide" is behind me with a 44 Mag and not doing anything. Luckily one of the dogs ran up and grabbed the boar from the nuts and me immediately changed his attention to the dog. Imagine that! A second dog came up and grabbed an ear giving the first dog a chance to do the same. I got up and put an arrow into the vitals ending the rodeo. Gotta love hog hunting!

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Yep, been there done that!!!

Hog hunting in south TX. and got treed. It was getting dark and time to head back to camp. I was in a ladder stand just off the road. When I reached the ground and started thru the thick brush all hell broke loose. The boar I had never seen desided it was time to make a monkey out of me. Luckly I made it back to the ladder stand before any contact. I set in that stand for over an hour before help came. When the ranch forman and my hunting partners came driving up in the jeep I told them what was going on. Laughing was an understatement for what they did. Anyway, I made it to the jeep and thought everything was fine. Just as I set down in the jeep it started rocking. The funnest thing to all this was hearing the ranch forman yelling "someone shoot, this SOB is about to get in the jeep with me". The boar was right under the rocker panel at his door (which by the way wasn't on the jeep) and hooking it hard. The next thing I heard was pop, pop, pop. Don't know where the forman had that pistol hid, but he was shooting as fast as he could to keep the boar out of the jeep.

Needless to say I had the last laugh!!!!

BTW, if he made contact with any of the bullets there wasn't any sign found the next morning.

Troy

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
I'm kinda big to be scramblin up trees but I have been charged and used a tree to jump behind. Yep, he was wounded but not by me.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
:campfire:   :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Couple of years ago I was scouting in my club solid 4/5'high palmettos.I hear some crashing in front of me going to my left and making weird,not normal grunting sounds I had never heard coming from a pig.I kept on the hog or deer trail I was on and came upon a bare circle cleared of all palmettos and a nest right in the middle but not high it had shrunk from neglect.I did not look at the nest instead kept looking where the funky grunts were coming from.I finally made it to the center of the clearing next to the nest but kept hearing the grunts about 20 yards from me.I happened to look down and sleeping on the top of the nest were 3 football size hogs.Then I new what the funky grunts were about she wanted me out of there.A few seconds later I am looking at the baby hogs and see a red one open his eyes,see me and start squealing.Then all three start squealing and running,lucky in the direction of moma hog.She comes out,I back off in the oppesite direction and all is well.I have been real close to boar hogs and have never been worried but the sound coming from her scared me I knew she meant business with her vocals.Kip

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I had just gotten on a lease and was not real familiar with it. I was sitting in a blind and heard a bunch of pigs raising all kinds of cain. I was the only one up there and thought I could cut across from my stand and sneak up on one. Well it got dark on me and I didn't exactly know how to get back to the road. I then realized that they were all around me and I took off through the cactus,and managed to get to a tree before I got into any trouble,but I was picking cactus out of my legs forever.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
It was early April, and I decided to fish a few canals on our deer lease. We are on a coastal marsh, along the Gulf of Mexico. I was fishing a small cove and heard leaves rustling on the bank. I eased over with the trolling motor and spotted 5 or 6 piglets, smaller than a football. So i beach the boat, thinking I'll snatch one up. They wouldn't come close enough. About that time I remembered I had a pig squeal call in the boat. I cut loose on that call, and the piglets scattered. I laughed, until I heard snorting and grunting. Here came Momma!!! She charged the boat and stopped maybe 5 feet from the boat. I yelled, and she backed down. She made a couple more false charges, then eased off into the thick stuff. That was close enough for me. Good thing I had an extra pair of drawers at the camp!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
I have seen no less than 30 hogs in the past 4 days without a shot. Yesterday I stalked withing 30 yards of a rooting hog in palmetoes that was comming right to me. Then I felt the wind shift to the back of my neck and a giant hog was withing 20ft of me I handn't seen. There were maybe a dozen hogs rooting in front of me and they all scattered like crazy when Mr. Biggie gave the alert. This is what makes it fun, trying to outsmart a HOG.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
When I was 17 or 18, I made the mistake of trying to catch a little shoat without being sure of where big momma was. I was scrambling after a little one and just as I grabbed it, the sow ran into me from behind. I don't know how I didn't get cut, but she ripped the backside out of my cargo shorts. I did end up with a big bruise on my right butt cheek.

After she ran into me, I made a mad dash and scrambled up an old dogwood. She was PO'd to say the least. She popped her jaws and came at me several times, not really jumping, but lifting her front legs off the ground. I stayed there until she finally ran off, several minutes later.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Great stories. Keep 'em coming!

For some reason this all makes me think of all the hundreds and hundreds of hogs I've castrated...

:biglaugh:  

Hope I don't run into one named Karma.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Two years before I left Germany, a forester was killed by a boar. He was trailing a wounded boar with his blood-tracking dog through really dense brush. The boar came out and he was in the way and couldn't side-step because the brush was so thick. The tusker got him on the inside of the thigh, cut the femoral artery and he bled out before his companions could get to him. Definitely not a cute little piggy story!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
I've been around a lot of hogs and never had trouble. I'm kinda surprised by all the close calls. They're good stories, though. Keep em coming.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I'm w/you Jeff. Didn;t know I was supposed to be askeered of 'em! Had them close a number of times w/o incident. But, respect them I do! They;ll snatch you baldheaded ain't that right Mudd?

Sure some good stories here. Keep 'em up folks.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Years ago I was on a hunt on Catalina Island off the pacific coast. I followed about a dozen pigs that had worked their way down the top of a finger that led straight down towards the beach line. About half way down the pigs split up for some reason, but the one I wanted continued down the finger towards the water, and I followed in hot pursuit. I think they winded me because they started moving out like someone just rang the dinner bell. As they got closet to the end of the finger, I noticed that it dead ended with about a 100 foot sheer cliff. Those pigs got to the end and were running back and forth, left and right trying to figure out how to get down that cliff. Snorting and grunting, you could tell they were upset to say the least. I figured it was my chance to try and get a shot so I eased myself off the side of the hill right onto the trail they had followed to the cliff. Well, they decided the only way out was the way they came in. They turned and came right at me. There was no trees around me, just a big boulder about 4 feet high and I nearly flew to the top of that rock. Wouldn' t you know it, the one pig I was hoping to shoot stopped right at the bottom of that boulder and started snapping his chomps at me. I sent an arrow straight down between his shoulder blades all the way to the nock. As he started to run away I jumped down and he turned around and put me right back on that rock. One more arrow right behind the neck ended the excitment. That was my first bad experience with a pig and I learned alot from it. Scared the crap out of me too.  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I tell newbies all the time that if they stay at it long enough it will happen one day. I had been hunting hogs for close to 15 years when I got treed. Most hogs will haul butt at the slightest scent of a human. However, everyonce in a while you find one that would rather fight.

Troy

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
I was telling some folks about my upcoming black bear hunt yesterday and they thought I was crazy.....I told them that the pigs I hunt all the time are much more dangerous....Last season Malcolm Parker and I jumped some pigs and he started blowing the dern pig squealer....Big sow charged me three times...I held my ground and she veered off each time.  i was gonna try to be Howard Hill.  (Glad I've got good insurance).  I was run out of the woods in Feb by a big sow with pigs....I bluffed her off her "nest" during daylight hours but when I came back thru at dark she definately had the upper hand!  I could've shot her a dozen times but I let her go because I wanted those piggies to get bigger fo the pot.  I had a clash of morality....ecologist v/s pig sticker....pig sticker won out that day!

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
:campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©