3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood shafts for a Hoyt GM2  (Read 178 times)

Offline Barry Winner

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood shafts for a Hoyt GM2
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
I shoot a Hoyt GM2 that is 54lbs. at my draw, 28.5".  The bow currently shoots a GT Trad 5575 29" long, standard insert with a 200 grain point.  This combo bare shafts dead straight out to 40 yards.  The bow has a fast flight string and I shoot off the shelf.  The side plate is built out so my arrow tip is just left of the string.  I'm right handed.

I am interested in trying wood arrows and need help selecting a spine range to try.  I'm leaning toward surewood shafts and will get a test pack.  I'd like some guidance from wood arrow folks regarding spines to try.  Thanks in advance.
HH Tembo [email protected]
HH Cheetah [email protected]
Martin Savannah [email protected]
Trying to build selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood shafts for a Hoyt GM2
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
I would give Rod Kelley of Mountain Top Traditional Arrows (406 756 5885)a call since he can probably provide you with exactly what you need.  As I said in a previous post "he has forgotten more about arrows than most of us will ever know".

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I would go with 75/80's with all that weight upfront and with the shelf you have on that bow and if you are wanting to stay with 29"bop. I would be happy to make up a couple test Surewood Shaft arrows for you to try if you'd like.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
If you're going to get a test pack, I'd recommend starting at 60-65 and going up from there in 5# increments if you plan to shoot a 125 or so grain head.  If you shoot a 160 grain head, I'd say that 65-70# would work pretty well.  Go up another 5# if you shoot a 200 grain head.

You won't be able to maintain the same overall point weight unless you use woody weights, but really don't need to with wood because the shaft itself will be heavier than the carbon shaft you're currently shooting.  Compared to your current set up, you will lose some FOC shooting wood.

PS.  I've been making and shooting wood arrows for more than 40 years and know a little about it myself.

Offline Barry Winner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Rick, thanks for the contact.  I'll give him a call.

Snag, thanks for the advice and the offer. I wouldn't want you to go to that trouble, though.

Orion, I didn't necessarily want to maintain the 200 gr. point, that's just what worked with the carbons and gave the gpp I wanted.   A 125 grain point along with the wood shaft should give plenty of weight.

I'm leaning toward a test kit starting at 65-70.
HH Tembo [email protected]
HH Cheetah [email protected]
Martin Savannah [email protected]
Trying to build selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Shooting 60-65# cedars cut at 29.5" with 160 grain tips. Nock point is a little higher than usual, shooting off the shelf and the arrows fly like darts.
Bow is just over 55# at 28.5" draw length

Terry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©