3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recomend a good, light, beginner bow  (Read 321 times)

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Recomend a good, light, beginner bow
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Hello all,

I'm looking for a recurve or longbow with around a 30# draw weight for a friend (adult) who is just getting into archery.    

Basically, I want something that is well made and looks good, but without the custom bow price.  Chek-mate made a school bow - King's Pawn I think, that would be excellent, but I can't find one of those.  Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recomend a good, light, beginner bow
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
In the sponsor banner is Maddog bows. Mike makes some nice bows,check out his site.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
My son and wife shoot Maddog bows. My wife was custom for her. We paid $215.00 for it. Its the quietest bow I'v heard shot. Great bow,great price,and great bowyer.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks!  That sure was easy - and exactly what I was looking for.  I'll just have to find out if she prefers a longbow or recurve (I like both!).  

That Prairie predator looks great, and really affordable.  I couldn't find anything in lighter weights that was still decent looking, and who wants to start out with a really "cheap" bow?

Thanks again.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
When you talk to Mike he may be able to make any bow in the weight you want.His bows are great and a great price for sure
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
I'd recommend looking at vintage bows. You can pick many up for $100-150 that will perform excellent. Then when they want to upgrade they can sell it and just about break even. Bears, Howatts, Pearsons, Hoyts, many many quality vintage bows out there. Just shoot often, practice.... .. .. .. ..

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Check out the classifieds on here, I've scored some nice bows for a good price...oh, and Mike does make some sweet bows as well!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I've had my eye out for vintage bows for a while.  One of my first trad bows was a Ben Pearson mustang recurve I found used.  The problem seems to be that there aren't many available under 40lbs, as I suppose most were made for hunters.  With sites like *****, too, I don't really trust most sellers to have a clue about limb twist, stress cracks, or delaminations in the tips.  Since shipping is going to be a bundle anyway, I'd rather get something I know is going to be in good shape.  Of course, sellers here are a different story, so I'll keep watching the classifieds.

Thanks again to everyone.

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm wondering if that Prairie Predator might be a bit short - She's 5'9" and drawing just about 28".

How about the Samick line of one piece bows, like the Red Stag?  I've never seen one in person, but they look nice enough for the price.

Offline CanadaCanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I ordered the Mad Dog Praire Predator midsized longbow.  Mike was very helpful.  I figured for a very reasonable price I'd rather have one made by a bowyer in the US than a factory in China.  I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Mike makes a great bow can't go wrong their and you can also get the bear montana bow at 35# or 30# as well big jim has a lot of bows call him he may also have something in stock that will work

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Alot of great recommendations.  I've also heard great things about the Samick Sage, available at 3Rivers.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
I am relatively new to traditional archery,shooting mainly selfbows and older bows.I have a special affection for the longbow, having recently purchased a bear patriot and am becoming pretty good with it, but I have an old 1953 bear grizzly 56 inch bow that is such a pleasure to shoot that I have thought about picking up another as my kids kinda argue over who gets to shoot it.See em all over **** priced right and if mine is anything like the rest they deserve respect!!!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
The Samick Sage is an excellent bow for the money.  You can get 35# pound limbs and then get heavier ones later if you so desire.

The Samick Polaris is also a good entry level bow.

I've really enjoyed my Samick Sage.  It was my first traditional bow and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf."--Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I've been thinking the same thing. Has anyone tried a Bodnik Little Stick or a Mingo recurve from Kustom King?

My wife is short and probably draws 22 - 24 inches and I have no idea what weight.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
I just bought a 30# Samick Sage for my significant other.  It doesn't necessarily have the finish of a custom bow, but it doesn't look bad and it costs only $139. The performance of the bow can be stepped up significantly by changing to a skinny string, and the Sage is compatible with Fast Flight strings.

Frankly, this bow shoots as well as any custom bow I have owned.  It also has AMO bushings for mounting accessories that you may want (sights, quiver, etc).
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Great Northern Fieldbow. You're close enough to Nashville Michigan to drive down and try them out.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
One of our sponsors, 3Rivers Archery, sell the Samick Sage. Pete Ward reviewed it.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
You may also want to look at a place like *********'s. They have lots of ILF risers under $200 and limbs as low as 100 if you are looking to move up to a hunting weight later.

Offline McClintock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I use the Flemish Fastflight Brownell's String on my Sage and it has worked great.  Otter Fur silencers, brush buttons, and some padding on the limbs has made the bow pretty quiet.  

I've also heard really good things about Quinn bows as well.  I ordered one recently but haven't received it yet.
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf."--Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©