3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GT nocks breaking  (Read 355 times)

Offline ABBIBOY

• Trad Bowhunter
GT nocks breaking
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
Is anyone having issues with Goldtip GT nocks breaking some what easily as of lately???? I'll take a dozen shafts out on Sunday and go through a half dozen nocks. I didn't have this issue until recently,

Anyone?
GS

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GT nocks breaking
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
I had the problem call gt they will make it good they did for me good luck

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I did the same and gold tip is replacing all my GT nocks with new (seem to be stronger nocks)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Where are your nocks breaking, the tabs on the throat or the part that inserts into the shaft?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
You should hang out here more often.There has been thread after thread on this issue.Goldtip was supposed to be replacing the defective nocks and you would think,putting the good nocks on newer shafts but I have heard of it happening on newer shafts too.If yours are breaking while firing the bow,you risk a dry fire that could cause your bow to break.Chuck the nocks and get Bohning Signature nocks to replace them.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
I had one break for no apparent reason, resulting in a near dry fire on a very expensive bow.  Not worth the risk. I like their shafts but will never use the nocks supplied with them.  Not worth blowing up my baby!

Offline usmc2444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
gold tip had trouble with these nocks, i had all dozen break use screw to get out. they will replace

Offline ABBIBOY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
They are breaking off in the shaft not on the string and GT has replaced 5 dozen for me already but I was just curious if this is common or just me.
Thanks Gang
GS

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
A number of threads on here about this.  After a few breaks and dry fires of my bows. . . while I really appreciate GT standing behind the nocks, my guess is they will not replace my bows- or a blown opportunity at a hunt of a lifetime!  Will never use GT nocks again. Bohning Signatures for now.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I dont use carbon, but after the last thread on this issue I was doing a little research and found that there are topics about these nocks failing on just about every archery web board you look at. Take the advice of others and go with another brand.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Same, just give Gold Tip a call and they'll send you a bunch of new ones. I haven't broke one since, and I did a bunch of stump shooting to make sure they wouldn't break.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
It's nice that they are replacing the defected nocks. But are the new nocks any better.

Offline Don_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
They were pretty straight with me. On my GT BG200s they said use an Easton X-nock on anything heavier than 600 grains. The Bohning seems no better, IMHO. I'll use X-nocks until further notice...

They say they'll have an improved in-house answer (mold change??) within 2 weeks, but order from the tech number, not default.
Don G
66" ACS CSX 58# at my 29.5" draw, 30.5" BOH
Ashby disciple

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
A couple years ago in the biggest youth archery program on the planet (2,050,000 kids this year), red nocks (brand new arrows) were breaking. The nock makers investigated all kinds of possibilities. They never did find the problem but we stopped using reds.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »
I have said it before and will say it again..It has to be in the molding process and the material they are using...All plastics have a curing time and if it's not being cured properly in the mold then you chance breakage,shrinkage and other possibilitys..I used to be a mold set up man and  processer at a well known tool co. and we had issues with different plastics...If a nock co. would use a material that can have fiberglass added to the mix then that may help in keeping the material from breaking due to the glass strands are injected into the plastics being formed...It is found to help strenthen the material..I haven't a clue on G.T. material but it looks to be made from a material called "delrin" over heating that material will make you fall to the ground and tear up like a baby....Xenoy or something like that is used also and very tempermental...Anyway I'm no expert by far but if it's not being processed correctly it can fail easy...Not sure how they test their nocks but most company's are now I.S.O. 9001 or something of that nature and products have to be tested more often to catch a bad batch of something gone wrong...Maybe adding small strands of fiberglass will help the Gold tip nocks stay together...Anyone have a  number or a website that can be called...Could be an easy fix to their problem or could be used in all nock companys for that matter... ...Keefers <><

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
Their customer service rep told me over a year ago they were aware of the problem and have since employed a new supplier and offered as many replacements as I requested, though I declined as I had only had about a dozen fail at th time. Trad guys usually purchase shafts not complete arrows so it may take some time to clear the market of bad nocks supplied with those shafts.

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
I had that happen and  got a dozen nocks,Now I shoot woods no carbons.I cant see trusting our high dollar bows to a nock that coast a few cents???Plus woods have the weight and feel great.Im tired of loading up carbons with heavy broadheads.Aloha
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline Don_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
I was told this last week, approx 4/12/2012 to wait 2 weeks, then order replacements direct from tech support. He said they had a new process (I think he said "new injection point") and they'd have the improved ones by Mar 1, 2012.
Don G
66" ACS CSX 58# at my 29.5" draw, 30.5" BOH
Ashby disciple

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©