3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Update: Project Wiener - development of a Blood Tracking Dog  (Read 1017 times)

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update: Project Wiener - development of a Blood Tracking Dog
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I've always wanted a wirehaired Dachshund to do exactly what you're doing.  I love seeing dogs do what they were bred to do.  Kudos to you and your pup!

I have German Shorthairs now and have had a German Wirehair and Pudelpointer.  When bird hunting once, I came across a guy that had lost a deer and we tried to use the Pudelpointer to find it.  She was pretty young and had no experience but tracked it a bit before losing it.

I train my dogs and run in NAVHDA hunt tests which have some tracking along with field and water work.  The tests are based heavily on the German testing system and we get many German bred dogs that are tested in the German systems where old blood tracks are required.  It's quite amazing what a dog can do.

Unfortunately, it's illegal in Colorado to use a dog to hunt big game even if it's wounded.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
My father has a wirehaired dachshund in MI that he uses to track downed game.  I wish my home state of WA would pull its head out of its rear end and allow this.  We can't use dogs for anything except birds, racoons, and other small game.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I'm with you.  Colorado needs to get with the program.  What's interesting is that the Colorado Bowhunters club has a lot of influence with the Commission.  I don't know if they've brought this up with them or not.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Terrific thread from one Teckel Man to another!!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Ryan,

I might have missed it, but what size is your dog, a standard or a miniature?  Is there a difference when selecting a dog?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
My family and I have two West Siberian Lika's that we use as blood hounds and for squirrel hunting. There is no better sight then watching one of them work a blood trail.
James Kerr

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Wow. Awesome job. I have used my golden a little and it is very rewarding.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Very interesting, informative post, and congrats on the test scoring.  You sound like folks who train labs for ducks - they get much more excited about the dog working and doing its thing than the rest of the hunt.  Sounds addictive!
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »
Ditto on Kelly being a grouch.   :)
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Owlbait - is the Michigan dog one of the ones that shows up at the Compton shoot?

Selfbow - Oskar is a standard (20 lb) smooth hair.  I think the European standard dogs are probably on average a bit smaller than the US bloodlines.  According to the FCI standard about 20 lbs is all the bigger a standard should be - US dachshunds - I mean "AKC show stock" not dogs of European bloodlines bred in the US - seem to run bigger, and I don't think you would consider most of them "hunting dogs".

As to picking a dachshund to use for hunting or blood tracking you can't go far wrong if you stick to European bloodlines - they are used for hunting much more than over here.  In the US that most likely means standard wirehair (several breeders) or standard smooth (a couple of breeders).  As far as a specific pup - I would be sure that the breeder is "doggy" enough to be able to match the pup with your needs - the Volhard puppy aptitude test is a good starting point to assess the pup's personality.  For blood tracking you want some serious prey drive and focus.  Of course look at the parents of the pup - are they REALLY hunting dogs.  I think any dachshund has the brains (they are unbelievably smart dogs, in general), and most have the nose.  The other aspects of the pup's personality should be such to meet your wants/needs for the other 10 months out of the year when you need to live with the dog.  Oskar has VERY strong prey drive, that is what our breeder prioritizes - along with very good personality, brains, focus/determination, and some biddabilty.  He's a pleasure to have around the house, but at 3 yrs old wants to play ALOT - and snuggle.  He does not have the biddabilty to be left off of the leash much outside where we live (near a highway) as he would definitely go after the yard rabbits and be hit on the road, this is one compromise we have to make for the strong hunting instinct.  I think, in general, dachshunds as they are hounds, do not have near the biddabiltiy of the pointer type dogs....also may in general have a bit more prey drive and focus when it comes to "boring" tasks like blood tracking than a bird dog or terrier.  I would also be sure that the breeder has at least some experience with blood tracking or can give you a reference or two - hopefully someone willing to spend the time to help you get started.  Some breeders of "blood tracking dogs" unfortunately lack either the tracking experience or willingness to help out puppy buyers getting started.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you get seriously interested and we can talk.  We are certainly no experts on this, but we are learning!

Ryan

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
There's nothing better than watching a dog do what it was born to do.  Great stuff.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by gringol:
There's nothing better than watching a dog do what it was born to do.  Great stuff.
I love it when you can see a dog working in the field turn towards you and "smile" as it does exactly that!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hawkeye:

Originally posted by gringol:
I love it when you can see a dog working in the field turn towards you and "smile" as it does exactly that! [/b]
I've got a chessie that grins all the time.  It looks a little like a snarl, but his tail wags and he acts like a goofy puppy.  He was a great retriever in his day, but he's 12 now and doesn't have much left.  I'm just hoping that he goes in his sleep, cause I don't know if I'll have the heart to put him down.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Reminds me of a quote from Eric Liddell in the old "Chariots of Fire" movie.

When Liddell's sister wanted him to shun the Olympics to concentrate on his training for missionary work, he said, "... I believe that God made me for a purpose... for China... but He also made me F-A-S-T, and when I run, I feel His pleasure!"

That's what I see in our hunting dogs.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Anyone thinking of purchasing his(her) first blood tracking dog should become familiar with United Blood Trackers (check out the UBT web site). They have a list of owners who will make their dogs available to others. I was getting tons of calls, but my knees won't let me work my dog anymore, unless I can carefully pick the terrain. Those same guys can be invaluable mentors. Find one near you (they are listed by area with phone numbers) and see if he is someone you would like to train with. It's just like any other aspect of hunting/shooting - most are more than willing to share their expertise and you can "cherry pick" what works for you.

Ryan, I'm sure you've had the same experience with hunters waiting way to long to call you. I got a call late Friday evening and didn't really want to commit to anything anyway, but the final turn-off came when I asked the guy when he shot his "once in a life time" buck. He shot it the previous Monday and didn't call sooner because he didn't have any money until payday. I told him most trackers do not charge, or if the do, just gas money. I also told him in no uncertain terms I wasn't going to do that to my young dog.
Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Ron - good advice about finding a local mentor!

Yep, you get all kinds of strange calls.  Had one guy call on a Wednesday evening about a deer he shot the previous Friday afternoon.  This was early season and like 80 degrees, hot and dry.  He didn't know where he hit the deer - he shot at it through the brush because it was "so big he couldn't pass up the chance".  Hit it somewhere, had a little blood an no arrow.  He told me that this deer was so big if we found it that it would "make my dog a movie star" blah, blah, blah, and that "I'd thank him for the resume builder".  Yeah, right.  He waited to call because he didn't want anyone knowing about his "honey hole spot".  He got pretty upset when I said no chance, no way, buddy.  During his rant he asked me what I expected him to do and I told him to go sit in his truck and watch for buzzards.  This is one reason I don't charge - I refuse to be the "employee" of a guy like this one.

A funny call came in a month or so ago - some lady from Chicago called me...."You are the guy with the tracking dog, right?" - Yep - "Well, can you come up and track my dog, he ran away last week"......uh, not THAT kind of tracking!  I guess she wanted my dog to smell the scent of her dog on its dog bed and track it down....like a bloodhound chasing prisoners in "Cool Hand Luke"!

Ryan

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
WooHoo  for Weenie ( Anything  BUT  Weenies) Dogs!!  :thumbsup:   Awsome Pets and Awsome Companions!!  :clapper:    :clapper:   Great for You R.R.!! Fellow Hoosier too!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
I sure like the idea of a helper when I need it.  For those in states that do not allow the use of dogs,  why can't someone just leave the gun or bow at home and take the dog for a walk ?  How can they govern that ?  Go with a friend and if you find the game (dead), one of you stays with the game for prep and the other continues on the dog walk. .  back to the car or truck.  If no guns or bows are involved. .  how can they complain ?
ChuckC

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
As said many times before, watching a dog, especially YOUR dog that YOU trained, work in the field-preferrably hunting not trialing-it is so thrilling.  And that swagger in their walk when they know they have done good.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
i know im reviving an old thread but have you guys been on any more adventures lately? i really enjoyed this thread

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©