3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Older Shrew / Now with turkey kill pics.  (Read 513 times)

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
Older Shrew / Now with turkey kill pics.
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
NOW WITH TURKEY KILL PICS  

I just received the older Shrew bow (54", 60lbs @ 27in.) that I purchased from a trad guy in the classifieds.

When I pulled it out of the tube, it felt like a kids bow. Short and sooo light. As soon as I shot it  that all changed. It delivers the arrow with incredible authority.

I had read an old thread about the older Shrews. The gentleman who wrote the article was amazed at how well the grip placed the bow hand, (he was right) and how it shot where you pointed, (he was right) and how fast it was (right again).

He went on to say how the Super Shrew has been greatly improved over the older model. I have already made up my mind that if this is true, one day I will have one. I can't hardly wait just to shoot one. Until then this bow will be my little shooting buddy and be in the turkey blind with me this Monday. I actually named it "Buddy" because it felt like I had shot the bow before. If it sounds crazy to you to name a bow...I'll quote Mother Teresa..."If you don't understand, I can't explain it to you."

Anyone else like your Shrew? Are the newer models really that much better?
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Older Shrew / Now with turkey kill pics.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I love my shrews although i may sell one to help pay for my new one being built soon . The newer shrews are alot better than the older ones . In fact every shrew greg puts out get better and better , he is a awesome bowyer and ron a great inovator .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Mike,

What are you going to have built?

Lyle

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
56in. Classic hunter samurai bow bolt takedown 50lbs @ 28in.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Although Shrews are fast enough (and the newest ones with foam/carbon limbs are the fastest), their forward-handle, deflexed design that make them so stable and so willing to accommodate those with long draw lengths also tends to make them a little slower than the speediest bows on the market. Everything is a trade off, and I gladly trade a little speed for all the advantages of my short, light, great-shooting Shrews! I have shot everything from a rat to an Asiatic buffalo with my Shrews, and they get the job done!!! And Gregg keeps making them better and better, as Mike says.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
Thanks guys,

Allan...great pic of you and the buffalo.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
Lyle, thanks for the post. I like to hear about the older early Shrews that are still in service and are being used and appreciated. It was a great little hunting bow then and it still is today.

Over the years the Shrew bows have evolved but the initial concept hasn't changed

Over 20 years ago when Gary Holmes and I collaborated to design the first Shrew bow, it was an innovation in the world of traditional archery. Longbows back then were starting to make some changes, going from the long 66,68,and 70" bows to a shorter 62 and 64" flatbow.

I remember many years ago when Jay Massey brought his 64" flatbow to one of the Great Lakes Longbow invitationals at Marshal Michigan. Jay had made the bow in Dick Robertson shop when he stopped off there for a few days on his way to the GLLI from Alaska. I got to shoot that bow and really liked the idea of a shorter straight end hunting bow. I ask Jay if he thought Dick would make one for me. Jay laughed and said Dick didn't much like the shorter flatbow but I might talk him into it. Long story short I ended up with the first "Buffalo Bow" that Dick made. Later Great Northern came out with their "Bush Bow" flat bow.

I thought that if a 62" bow could be a handier hunting bow, then an even shorter bow would be better. But the question was would it be a stable bow, would it stack, would it have finger pinch?

Going to a straight bow as short as 54" required some design changes. The forward handle and limb design that we incorporated into the Shrew made all the difference. It didn't stack at the average draw lengths and it was stable. It was a bow that could be tucked into situations that the longer bows weren't capable of.

It took awhile to dispel the short bow myths but when some of the the advantages of a short bow were realized, other bowyers started making their own versions of a short hunting bow.

Gregg and I continue to explore ways to improve our Shrew bows, it's a challenge that we thoroughly enjoy. We appreciate the positive feedback from our customers, it's an incentive and a inspiration to keep our noses to the grindstone...   :notworthy:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Ron, when you came out with the first Shrews, was there anything else that short available at the time?

I shot & got my fist one in 2008, a 60" SS. Its still my favorite all around bow. I usually shoot 68-70" Hill style bows, but the SS lacks nothing in shootability compared to the longer bows.

The best thing the Shrews have brought to the party is to allow someone with a longer draw to COMFORTABLY & ACCURATELY shoot a short bow.

And somehow Ron and Gregg continue to improve on them..

Great bows!!

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
  Ron, when you came out with the first Shrews, was there anything else that short available at the time?  
No Eric there wasn't anything that short. When it first came out the Shrew was offered in 52 and 54" lengths. My add in TBM stated,   "The Worlds shortest Longbow"
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I was one of those holdouts for the Super Shrew/Shrew bows back in the 1990's. I was going to Ron's camp then, but shooting a 62" and 64" JD Berry bow.  After trying them in camp I finally got my first Super Shrew in 1999.  My first two hunting shots brought down two dandy does within 30 minutes of each other.  I had only had the bow for 3 days!  The other day, my wife yelled to me in the living room those 'dxxm' crows are on the bird feeder again.  They've been terrorizing the little birds and going through the food like no tomorrow.  I had the garage door open and knew that when I stepped around the corner the crow would be in in flight before I could draw. Since he was on top the feeder he already had a headstart into the air as I hopped out.  He was climbing and quartering away, but the Ace Hex head caught his wing at 20 yards and broke the wing. Since I had only grabbed one arrow, I ran over and grabbed it lying off the ground and was trying to pick a spot as he was hoping through the brush and trees.  I centered him at 15 yards and he will be a nuisance no more.  I haven't shot my bow in 4 or 5 days, but it doesn't seem to matter with the grip and forward handle, it just points.  Ron says I should name the bow 'crow killer' but I'll leave that for the Jeramiah Johnson movie.    ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Ron,

It is not only your bows that have left a mark in archery, but it's you. I have watched all the utube videos that you have made and listened to your philosophy of life, hunting, and building bows...you are an inspiration to many people, myself included.

I hope to have the honor of meeting you one day.

Lyle

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Two of my Shrews used to belong to Ray Lyon. Like Ray and Eric have said, Shrews point well and are easier than most of my bows to just pick up and shoot well, even if I have not practiced for awhile.

Lyle, that Super Shrew Buffalo Bow in my avatar has been the envy of everyone whom I have allowed to shoot it. I have a Shrew Safari on order for my next buffalo hunt.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
Allan,

I hope your wife is liking that old Super Shrew 'Lite'.  That was one of Gregg's first bows he made for my son years ago. That little favorite recurve-I just like the Shrew longbows better. I've got a 58" Samurai and a 60" custom deluxe.  I'm thinking that a CH should be in the arsenal.....hmmmmmm.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »

I just had to tell you the rest of the story. I received the Shrew bow on Friday evening and did a lot of shooting on Saturday and Sunday. This morning I killed my first turkey with it.

I am shooting 2 fingers under with it (my new hunting buddy)(read 1st post to understand)and it has no stack at all out to my 28in. draw. It scales 70lbs. at 28in. and is actually smoother than my 60lb. bows that are a full 66in. long.

Here's how it went down...2 gobblers sounded off on the roost for 30 minutes. I had read some turkey hunters on here say not to over call...so I only gave them a little tree yelp...they answered back and flew down. They gobbled over the rise about 100 yards from my blind for about 20 minutes. I gave them 1 more series of yelps and stayed quiet after that. About 5 minutes later they came over the rise in full strut and saw my one lone hen decoy. They came on a string. At 12 yards I let the little Shrew bow do what it was built to do. The bird went right down as the old Bear ravorhead did it's job and was ceremonially pounded by the other gobbler.

What a thrill...if you haven't connected with a bird yet...don't give up! It's worth it all.

Lyle

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
WOW good job , that old Shrew still has alot of life left in it for sure !   :clapper:    :clapper:

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
My go to bow 54"CH T/D carbon foam, phenolic riser,curly maple veneers, gemsbok tips. And a nice piece of ziricote on the belly side of the riser.

Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
David,

WOW! Your "go to bow" is now my "dream" bow. I can only imagine how smooth and fast it must be with those foam cores. How long have you owned it?

I just had to smile when I saw the riser is even on the proper side. If you ever decide to upgrade, let me know...of course, I don't know a bow that I would consider an upgrade.

Thanks for the pics
Lyle

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I got it last year, Ron can hook you right up. It's pretty quick with around 9 gpp but it really shines with 10.9 gpp and a big Simmons Tree Shark up front.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Congrats Lyle !!!  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©