3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How old is your hunting bow?...............  (Read 2295 times)

Offline benderofwood

• Trad Bowhunter
How old is your hunting bow?...............
« on: January 16, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
Please post how long you have had and hunted with your bow; is it the one you go to reguardless of how many bows you own? was it a gift from someone who is gone? what makes it so special to you? alot of questions, just wondering; thank you;   :coffee:
Hunt hard waste no meat

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How old is your hunting bow?...............
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
Up until this year I have had only one bow. I have used it for about 10 years now. I bought it new when I gave up compounds.This past season I have been hunting with a Redwing Hunter I got from ebay. It is older than my Talon, and I really like how it shoots. I had a lot of fun with it this year. I will be using my Talon for the winter though.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:46:00 AM »
1 year old, sold the rest, got some new ones on the way.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Flathead Willie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
I got my "Medicine Bow" in 1975 at a yard sale for $12.00. It was about 15-20 years old when I got it. I've hunted with it for 31 years. Although I've got 5 or 6 other bows, I always go back to this one. Out of the 150+ deer I've taken, 129 were shot with this bow alone. That's "big medicine!" The others don't get in the woods much.
Some people climb to the top of the ladder only to find that it is leaning on the wrong wall!

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »
Bought my Bear Black bear hunter in 1977-78.
Still hunt with it a couple of times a year.
Got a localy made Hinchco Widow that I bought 2nd hand in 75,it was my first "real" bow an I still use it for small game hunting now an then.
My current go to is a Martin Mamba from 86.
At the other end of the scale,I have a DAS Hunter arriving at the end of this month.
They all mean "something" an one day I hope to pass them on to somebody that deserves them.
Cheers.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
I got my Black Widow in 1990-1991 and love it. Tried others but I'll stay with my BW. Alan

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
I bought a 1953 Bear polar to hunt with. I've had it a while and have yet to take it to the woods. Most of the bows I get (other than what I make are older bows. I've got a 1957 Bear Alaskan also. I just like the history of these bows. Mainly though I've been taking my proline recurve (not sure the age) and selfbows I've made.

My grandfather has a early 70 Grizzly I'd love to hunt with. That bow has sat on a rack for as long as I can remember.
Jason Lester

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Traded my boss a ultra-light fishing rod/reel for my 47# 1965 Kodiak, not a bad trade if I say so myself. Found a real BIG track in the wood lot behind my house this weekend. Think I'll hang a stand back there for a while...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
My hunting bow is several bows, now that I build my own. And none is nearly so old as me! (Like my wife and friends and the history of the universe.)

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
My go to bow is a Black Widow MAIII. 62"  53#@28"
I have several bows,and enjoy shooting all of them, but when it comes to hunting I always go back to the BW.  It just seems to hit harder than all the others.  I bought it new in 2000.
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
My wife gave me "Sweetness" on our first or second Christmas together (1971 or 2).  She's still #1.  So is the bow!  Shakespeare Super Necedah, 54", about 50# at my 30 1/2" draw.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline TimberBound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Mine is a 1998 Hoyt Hunter Supreme. I got it as a Christmas gift.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Got my Wes Wallace around '93...used a Brack before that. 56# at 27"

Offline Flathead Willie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
I guess I forgot to mention that my "medicine Bow" is a 55# @ 28" Bear Grizzly. It's a 60's model but I don't know what year.
Some people climb to the top of the ladder only to find that it is leaning on the wrong wall!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Weel I have a old shrew (90's)but I have only owned it for 2 years Years Now, come February. I have taken 3 DOEs still waiting on my first Buck.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
My Howard Hill Bow "Just Passable" was i year last Nov....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline HRW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Late 70's Black Bear that I bought for $15 in '94. It has been put into retirement several times, but I always end up stringing it up again. I think this time it will be put up for safekeeping though. I have a six year old who is learning the joy of a stick and string. Maybe he will hunt with it someday, maybe it will just be "Dad's bow". Either way, the old bear doesn't owe me a thing. $15 from trapline profits has provided me with full freezers and happy memories for over 10 years. Helluva good investment!
Stalk softly and carry a bent stick.

Offline Ol'school

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
My favorite is still my Abbott Osage 70" 72#@29 that Steve built for me back around 1985. Got a doe opening morning and a javilena just before Christmas with it this year.

"I may be getting older, But I hope I NEVER grow up!

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
I have the "switching habit" but even so I either hunt with a "Howatt" (not Martin) Hunter that's 30+ yrs. old 76#, A 70# Bear Mag Handled Custom T.D. 1980 model or my newest bow an 80# Shelby Mustang longbow that was built for me in 2000.  My go to bow is the Bear.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I've had my 1957 Kodiak Special since I was 16. That will soon be 48 years. As a 16 year old, I hunted rabbits with it in the Trinity River bottom land where AMR Corporation (American Airlines) is now located just south of D/FW Airport. It was my only bow until '91 or so  when I had Bob Lee make me a bow soon after he went back into the archery business. I've had lots of other bows since then. Mostly those made by Jeff Massie.

I don't take my Kodiak Special hunting much anymore because I'm skiddish about something happening to it. But, that doesn't mean that I don't shoot it. In fact, I just came in from the dusting of snow we got this morning after putting 50 or so shots into the target with this 50 year old bow.

It never ceases to amaze me how it continues to perform. Not a speed merchant, but shot after shot it is consistent. Those folks that have shot and hunted with the LDB know what I'm talking about. It is a 1957 also. There is just something about those old Bears....  :notworthy:  

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©