3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CT hunters?  (Read 458 times)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
CT hunters?
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
hey guys...

I pulled another bonehead move and forgot to send in my centenial survey form at the end of last season so now I can't get a permit this year.  not being from CT, now I gotta scope out some new spots.

anybody got any recommendations....

I'll be coming down from MA....but since I'm used to driving all the way down to darien/new canaan or easton.....the drive doesn't bother me.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CT hunters?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
There are a few nice spots near me on public land (part of Cockaponset State Forest) where I always see deer.  There's also a nice piece out near North Stonington I've been on.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline scott brightman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Were in MA do you live?Might I suggested that you should try the bow hunting only area in Templeton.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
thanks jeremy.....woah....just checked the dep site...15 different maps?   most of it in zone 8....looks like a slightly shorter ride than I'm used to also....thanks for the tip.

if you want some company on a scouting trip some weekend let me know.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
thanks scott.  not lookin for spots in MA right now...I've lived in central MA all my life (except for a few years in and around boston), and I'm pretty warn out on MA hunting.  

I'll still go out here and there...but seeing as many deer as I did last season down in ct, and comparing that to the last three seasons in MA....lets just say theres a reason I shelled out the 100 bucks for the non res tags in ct...

Offline bihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
Try it here in Rhode Island. We have some good hunting.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
hick, look at maps 7 and 8.  The hunting in 8 is really good as long as it hasn't been a dry summer.  There's only one other guy who bowhunts it regularly.  I don't spend much time across the highway in map 7, but I know some slammers were taken out of there last gun season.  I'm about 10-15 mins from these areas, so you'd have a place to crash if you come down.

Parts of Pachaug seem to have quite a few deer too, though I've only spent time in the lower section (behind my bro's house)

I know some guys who pheasant hunt Nehantic (map 2) who say there is a bunch of deer sign.  Early season there aren't too many people in there, but once pheasant starts the state stocks birds and you'd be sharing the woods.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
I never send my servey in & always get a tag, did they deny you?  Mike
Big Mike

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
never sent in the app....friend of mine said he talked to the guy the does the processing and he told him there we 52 guys who didn't return survey forms and they wont be getting permits.

wait mike...let make sure we're talking the same thing...not the blue post season cards they send you with the archery permit/tags...thats for the state.  what I'm talking about is the Aqarion Water company, special bowhunting only land access permits...they only give out like 200 or 250 or something...

thanks jeremy.  I'll check out the maps and see what I can figure out....

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
I always get my licenses too and never mailed in any surveys...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©