3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote Attack  (Read 475 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote Attack
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
One in a million odds probably, but read on a state turkey hunting forum where a guy did get bit by one while turkey hunting yesterday morning. He had pictures of the bite on his upper arm, so is probably the real deal.

The guy and his dad had just set and made a few calls when it happened. Said the coyote didn't hang on long and got away too quick for a shot.

I've had one come in and make a mad dash at the gobbler I was calling and another just come in looking for the yelps I was making.

Just posting this for something to keep in your heads while calling turkeys..never know.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
That's certainly understandable. A coyote hears turkey calls, sees some movement, and rushes in for the kill. It's probably a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
My cousin had one come in and nail his decoy in Kansas years back, he said he laughed so hard he couldn't get a shot off.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I could see that

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Some years back my wife was using a bleet call and a coyote jumped out of the bush at her till it realized she wasn't a deer.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Hoyt-that is incredible. I also think this is a good safety lesson as far as being ready for anything when you are calling turkeys! Thanks!

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I had a coyote sneak in on my last year while I was calling for turkey's. He ended up being my first kill with a trad bow    :goldtooth:    :jumper:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm bettin the worst part of it is takin the dang rabies shots!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
A hunter down along the CO/NM border called our office to complain that a bear grabbed his decoy and ran completely off with it - he asked (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) if the state DOW would reimburse him for his loss?   :biglaugh:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Have to give a turkey call a try next time I go coyote hunting.

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
A few years agoe I was hunting with my brother on some land he was leasing,we had a yote come rollin in on our decoys.Kinda cool to see,but we were unable to get the shot in time.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I can beleave that.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
my first year of elk hunting i was hunkered down on a main game trail squealing on a diaphragm elk call making some ungodly poor cow calls, and had a coyote come at a full run and almost ran me over. he came sliding to a halt 3 feet in front of my face, laid his ears back and snarled at me.   :scared:    :scared:    

I was so startled by it, i growled right back at him and swung my bow at the same time.... i never connected with him, but i parted his hair, and he jumped and ran.....

definitely needed clean shorts after that close a call.... those things are scary up close and personnel. they got really bad breath too....   :scared:

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »
Swung the bow instead of pulling the string! Classic. Lol. Guess you never know exactly what you'll do untill the moment arrives. The first one I ever shot, I howled in at night with a 22 mag. Got so excited, I ran right up to her. When I got about 5 feet from her, she tried to get up, but couldn't. She laid her ears back, and opened her mouth as wide as she could, looking very mean and showing me just how big those teeth really are! I never shot a bolt action so fast! I shot three times, and anchored her with the only hit at five feet in the neck.  Here's to good times, fond memories, and clean shorts!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »
I think I'll rather have a Yote pounce on me then a Mountain Lion...You won't be a mouse toy with the Yote but that cat will toss you around like a play toy before he really clambs down...Kirk I wonder if that Yote went back to his den and told his litter of pups the same thing about you?  :biglaugh:  Probally said " I saw the sickest looking Squatch I ever laid my eyes on today" Hardly had enougth meet on them bones for me so I let him go and then he had the nerve to throw a stick at me and give me a buzz cut"

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Several years ago my son killed his first turkey and a bobcat came in and stole the turkey.  I chased the bobcat for a short distance and he dropped the turkey.   I have also had coyotes come to turkey calls.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
2 years in a row my cousin has had timber wolves come into his turkey set up in central WI.  They came in fast after he started to call.  He said no fear (on their part, not his) after they saw he was there.

Dave

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
It happens quite frequently. Ive had yotes come into goose decoys many times but never while turkey calling. I have called in red fox while turkey calling.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Last year I called in a big fisher!
The thing came in the decoy and got back to the brush in split seconds

No shot from my natural blind
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I heard from a friend of a friend of a cousin of  someone getting attacked by a bobcat hunting turkey.  The bobcat snuck up and pounced from behind, but no real damage, or at least that was the story.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©