3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LL Bean or Schnee's Pac boots  (Read 1017 times)

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LL Bean or Schnee's Pac boots
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I have the tall uninsulated Scnees.  Like said above the inside is rough on the ankles.  I also have the bob soles and get a terribly loud squeaking when walking through wet grass.  Anyone else have this problem?

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
I have both the Schnee and the L.L. Bean boots, and the Schnee boots feel FAR more comfortable to me and are much better for stability and walking. I love Kennetrek boots and could never give up my two pairs of Hardscrabble Light boots, but the rubber bottom portions of the pac boots are made overseas while the rubber bottoms on my Schnee boots were made in the USA and are clearly of superior quality. I don't know if the new Schnee boots are made with the same bottoms. Either way, I would still buy the Schnee boots, with Kennetrek being a close second.

I hate to disagree with Steve O., because he is almost always right and is a heck of a good fellow, but Jim did not own Schnee, he was their chief boot designer. Jim does own Kennetrek, and he definitely knows his stuff and designs great boots that are built by master craftsmen in Italy, with some work done in other countries.
Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kevin heath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
I am gonna be different and say Kenetrek
 http://www.kenetrek.com/
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...Thomas Jefferson

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
Ben, get the one shoe that does it all: Crocs. For winter, just add a pair of socks.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Without a doubt...Schnee.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Watch out!!! I'm a HUGE Schnee's fan and was once even in their catalog, but they have two kinds of Schnees. The Standard which are more expensive and the Sportster ( I think thats what its called). They look identical, but the cheaper ones are not made in Montana, they are imported from overseas.,I called and asked what the difference between the two were and thats what I was told.
 I'll pay a few more bucks and get the Montana made!
David M. Conroy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I think you have to own a Mercedes if you get the LL Bean boots...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Don't know about the newer Bean boots but I've had a pair of insulated Maine hunting boots for close to ten years and they're still going strong.  No complaints as long as it's not too much below freezing.  I've wore them on alot of hunts and a bunch of winter crappie fishing trips.  Sad that they've went downhill, guess I'll have to check out the Schnee's when they finally do wear out.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
IF you plan on walking in them a lot Schnees. I love mine. I had a pair of Bean's that I never enjoyed walking in. My schnees I put a ton of miles on this year. I was amazed at the comfort of those boots.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. I asked the same question here back in Sept...
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:

I hate to disagree with Steve O., because he is almost always right and is a heck of a good fellow, but Jim did not own Schnee, he was their chief boot designer. Jim does own Kennetrek, and he definitely knows his stuff and designs great boots that are built by master craftsmen in Italy, with some work done in other countries.
Allan
Hey Allen, we don't disagree, I was just assuming...I called Schnee's 10 years ago to thank them for making the boots that saved my Stone sheep hunt after my Russel's failed.  The gal connected me to Jim and I just assumed he was the head honcho.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
I have been using Schnee's for 18 years.I have a pair of uninsulated and a pair with removable liners for winter.They have been good boots with great traction.You see most of the game wardens,biologists and ranchers wearing them here,during Fall and Winter.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Somehow I made a double post!

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
The ll bean boots look a lot like a pair of sorrel boots that I own.

The have a fur/wool lining and are rated to -40.
For when it's not that cold I have a pair of hunter rain boots. Super cumfy and the fleece lining you can buy for them adds extra warmth when you need it.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Also, be assured that Schnee customer service is "second to none".

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
Beans were great 25 years ago. Stuff changed. Yuppies happened.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline G. Fred Asbell

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I've been an LL Bean boot fan for a long time, and have actually tried Schnee uninsulated boots twice, and ended up sending them both back, simply because they weren't wide enough. The insulated Schnee is a great shoe and I wear it exclusively in cold weather. As someone else said, they each have their place. In my case, Bean's for slipping around and warmer weather, and Schnee's when the temperature drops...but the Schnee's are very comfortable and quiet for an insulated boots (which is what prompted me to try the uninsulated ones.) gfa

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
I think Bean gets a bad and misplaced rap with all this yuppie stuff.
If you buy from the hunting catalog you will find the same, age old quality Maine Guide Hunting Boot. They have not changed.
The bean boot is different and yes it has changed over the years. I love the Maine Guide Hunting Boot and will always own a pair.
For really cold weather I wear a pair of Kamiks from Canada.
Bean's customer service is second to none.(nut)   :bigsmyl:
Rich Potter

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Another vote for get both...my early season are Beans Duck Canvas Uppers with Rubber bottoms and my late season are my Schnees Leaher uppers and Rubber bottoms.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I own both as well.  I love the insulated Schnee's, but hate the uninsulated Bean and Schnee's.  They form a crease at the achilles area and rub a nasty blister.

Anyone else have this problem?

Offline sinawalli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
What changed on the Bean boots? I have 2 pair of them, 1 is about 25 years old, the other is about 1.5 years old. The older ones are uninsulated, while the newer ones are. Both are the Maine hunting boot. Can't see much difference in either, the leather in the older ones might be a tad bit thicker, but not by much.
That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©