3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning, tail always high?  (Read 161 times)

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning, tail always high?
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:00 AM »
Okay.  I've got a set of limbs that's absolutely been giving me FITS.

No matter WHAT I do they shoot everything tail high.  I've shot everything from 500 spine aluminum and carbons all the way up to 400's with no heavyweights.  They're 52 Lbs, and the bottom limb is tillered about 1/8" more, and I shoot split.

I've ran nock set from zero to 3/4" above center.  I've tried bareshaft, paper, and bareshaft through paper.  I can get left right down to nothing.  So far, the best its got is with a 29" Goldtip 5575 with a 50 grain brass insert and 125 tip.  Through paper the left right tear is pretty straight, but at 9 yards, its still tail high about an inch and a half.

I've been at the trad game a while, and I've never had this happen?..

Any thoughts or theories?

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning, tail always high?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:58:00 AM »
Could be a form issue.  Your old setup may have masked the problem to a degree.  Consistent knock high like you are describing is frequently caused by torguing the bowstring.  If you are shooting heavier/lighter limbs than before you might have changed the way your string hand contacts the string.  You also might have lots of string hand tension whereas you didn't with your last setup.  
Could be you aren't generating the same back tension you did with the old setup and not coming off the string cleanly.  

I'd blind bale the bow for a few sessions--maybe a week--to work on my form before I screwed around with more arrows, weights etc.  A lot of times we think we can buy our way out of these problems (and to a degree you can) when the truth is we need to work our way out of the problem

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
KJ has some good advise.  You also may try a 2nd nock point, below your arrows, if you don't already have one.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
I had a similar problem on a bow once.  It turned out it was very finicky on nock height.  When you go too low on nock height it slaps the shelf and kicks high, so tail high can mean nock point too high or too low.  I also found the bow to be less sensitive to nock height when I got the brace height correct.  This bow wants 8 1/4" brace height.  I know it sounds silly, but I found out the recommended brace height from the bowyer. (Duh!!) I would definitely check the brace height on your bow.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
"They're 52 Lbs, and the bottom limb is tillered about 1/8" more, and I shoot split."

If this is the case your bow is tillered incorrectly.  It should be the reverse for split finger.  Bottom limb should be 1/8 inch less then the top.

With a stiffer upper limb, your going to have trouble getting good arrow flight.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
I got a different way of looking at things Mike, I spent too many years being a machinist.  When I measure from the bottom and top of the riser on the belley side of the limbs.  The bottom limb is 7 3/8" and the top limb is 7 1/2"  So that would mean the bottom limb is stiffer?

KJ and Lost nation.  I did used to shoot really high elbow.  I spent the winter working on that issue.  I opened up my stance and made a concious effort to keep my elbow lower (which resulted in a much less sore ring finger)  Brace height I've had everywhere within reason.  Also, I borrowed my brothers recurve from the same maker, which is 55 Lbs.  It blazed perfect bullet holes for me, and it is tillered about 1/16th stiffer on the bottom limb.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©