3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Trad BH selection  (Read 233 times)

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
First Trad BH selection
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Good Morning Fellow Trad Brothers & Sisters!

I know this topic has probably been covered numerous times, but I am wondering what your recommendation would be.

I'm guessing I have a 24-24.5 inch draw, maybe a tad more?  Shooting a 50lb recurve at 28inches. Now with having a short draw and pulling maybe 40lbs would I have a penetration issue using these broad-heads?

Simmons Tiger Shark 2-Blade

Simmons Interceptor 2-Blade

One concern is the way the Simmons are shaped at the back of the head coupled with being roughly 1.5 inches wide.

Grizzly Single Bevel

The tanto tip slowing down to much vs, a zippy cut on contact tip.

I know I wont have a problem with a Magnus or Zwickey but I cant get over the devastation the Simmons and Grizzlys bring.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Trad BH selection
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
just get it sharp and any of them should do the trick    :thumbsup:  

From where in Maryland do you hail?
Semper Fidelis

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
VPA Penatrator

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
How can you get an answer when we don't know what you are planning on shooting???

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Sequoia, I'm out in Frederick, MD.

Terry, just White Tails.

I know just about any BH will do the trick but I'd like to shoot one of three mentioned above, I'm just worried about penetration cause of my short draw length, the Simmons get flared out to just over 1.5 inches in width thats what concerns me and the Grizzlys have the Tanto tip

I guess are there any short draw archers under 26 inches or low poundage shooters have penetration issues with these heads?

From the pictures they look huge.  I'm concerned I will no have enough horse power to get them through deer.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
How bout a Stos?  I like the straight edge bh's myself.  If you're concerned about the tanto tip, a little work with a file will help.

Offline PEL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I would not worry about the tip on the grizzlys - also you can simply sharpen them so both bevels meet and you end up with this razor on the tip. they are one hell of a BH, but really any would work well if SHARP!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
I don't think you would have any problems with any of those heads just shooting whitetails. The Grizzly will get the best penetration though, and don't worry about the tanto tip. With the new Grizzlies Bill is producing the grind is great and the tips are razor sharp.
James Kerr

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Go with either one of the Simmons you can't go wrong.LCH

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I like the Simmons but never got the penetration I wanted with 47-50# bows. I'm trying the single bevel Grizzly this year. The new grind is easy to sharpen and I'm betting penetration with the tanto tip will be excellent. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Grizzly or penetrator for the reason Owlbait mentioned.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
My draw is 25" and I have 190gr Simmons interceptors and have had good luck with them. The only problem I need to go to 225 gr head.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
You won't have any problems with the simmons.  Even though they are wide they have superior flight characteristics and wonderful penetration.  I would probably shoot the interceptor at that weight for maximum performance.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Scbenton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
I think afte reading and hearing some of the Ashby reports and watching a few YouTube vids on single bevel BH I think I'm going to give the Grizzlys in right wing a whirl.  

One video Had a guy shooting through moose bones with a single bevel BH.  Granite he was using a very heavy arrow and I'm not sure about distance or the bow being used but I'm pretty well sold on the Single Bevels.  

Unless.....  

Any fellow Trad members some good reasons not to use them.

I'm thinking around 450 to 500 grain arrow with the Single Bevel BH and around 19 to 23% FOC   The only animal being hunted are White Tails so I'm thinking this should suffice.  

What do you all think?  Being a 50lb now at 28 inches and drawing about 24 to 24.5 inches?

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Heavy arrows and sharp two blade broadhead, Grizzly, Magnus, Zwickey,Bear,etc.Any one of these will penetrate deeply and leave a great bloodtrail(if you do your part).

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Seems to me you need to stop guessing and start getting to know what you have and what you need.

Nobody can really give you good answers till they have some real information to work with.

Any of the broadheads you mentioned can work well, even with a short draw and not so heavy bow weight.

Likely a lot of folks won't agree with me, but I think you / we need to stop worrying about how long your draw is and just shoot the dang arrows.  Having less than 28" draw is not a liability.  It just...is.
ChuckC

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I use a Zwickey Eskimo with an arrow weighing in the 550gr area. I prefer penetration over everything. It's the Pet milk can theroy. One hole won't pour, two holes pour great.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Widowmaker 130 if you must have a two blade. Woodsman elites 125's if you want a three blade. Will tackle anything from whitetail to groundhog. Honestly if you're pulling a 24.5" draw you're not quite getting 40#. Are you just starting out or are you certain the your draw length is 24"? If uncertain I'd say skip the BHs for now and train to full draw. The head weight on your arrows may change drastically and the wrong weight BH is an expense to avoid. If you'd be kind enough to provide me with the make and model bow and the distance from fingertip to fingertip across your chest with arms outstretched I'll gladly plug all of that into stu miller and give you a more definite answer to your question.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©