3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anyone use a tab for elk hunting?  (Read 354 times)

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone use a tab for elk hunting?
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I've never tried a tab and I'm wondering if it's awkward  to grab an arrow in a hurry and nock it?  Does the tab get in the way or is this a dumb question?

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone use a tab for elk hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I feel the tab gives you a better advantage because you can flip it to the back side of your hand. You then can use your hand normally where a glove makes it harder to do things. I have a little clip on my armguard that I put my tab on when I am climbing it the hills just to keep it clean. If I need it its right there and only takes a second to put on. Once you get used to a tab it just feels very natural. It will actually make it easier to grab arrows in a hurry.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Not a dumb question.. You nock an arrow just like u do with a glove.. Give a tab a try and see what u think
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
No, your question is not at all dumb. I have found it much easier to use my hand/fingers with a tab than when I used a glove.  Turn it around, and use your fingers without losing the sense of touch; however for most things it is not even necessary to turn it, but I do so especially when climbing a ladder stand, etc. when safety depends on a solid grip. In moderately cold weather (keep in mind I live down south), I can wear my fleece gloves, and the tab fits over the glove on my hand with no problems. Try it, you may like it.
Sam

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
For the last six years
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Not just elk hunting.  Everything.  Very handy and easy to get OUT of the way with a flip.  Love my tab.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I've used a tab for all my shooting for several years now. I have found that the tabs with all the bulk in the palm are awkward. (ie: Cavalier, Black Widow, etc.) Though they shoot well it's hard to perform tasks that require some dexterity.

IMHO
Romans 8:28

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
When you get used to wearing one you won't know it's there (almost anyway)! If you do decide to try it, give it some time.

I used to wear/fiddle with mine while driving....

I have been shooting a tab for 22 years, 13 of which I have been using a S.A.M., and doubt I will ever change.

Good luck!

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
When you first switch to a tab it may seem awkward. Let that tab soften, shoot enough arras, and it becomes an extention of your hand. I have worn mine to work accidently: it becomes so natural. You will not notice it once you have shot it enough and IMO it will improve the feel of the string making your groups tighter...at least that is my experience. Good luck!
Mike Davenport

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I interchange using a glove and a tab, although I have been using a tab much more often than a glove the last several years. My new favorite tab is the cordovan one that Scott Teaschner makes. A tab is definitely more versatile because it can be flipped around to the back of your hand, as others here have described. I have used my tab for elk hunting, and for all the other game animals I hunt. There is nothing it can't do that a glove can, except that it is not stationary on your individual fingers, which some people may have a little problem adjusting to. If you shoot split fingered, I would suggest you order one of Scott's new tabs and give it a try. He can make it with or without backing.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
X2 what has already been said!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Only use a tab!

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I tried a glove in the early 90's and never looked back.  I only shoot a tab and for the past 20 years have used just a piece of leather until I recently bought a eichler tab..awesome.  Like mentioned above I rotate it to the back of my hand and forget its there.  Its also easy to use wearing gloves by just cutting the glove finger(s) that you need off.  Lastly I always carry a blunt/judo in my quiver so when I'm done shooting I just slide it on the arrow, put the arrow in the quiver, and I'm ready to go hassle free.

good luck.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
You won't like it at first, but you will most likely learn to like it better once the strangeness get over with. My fiance tried it for a couple of shots and didn't like it, I told her one day you are going to wear that thing for the whole round of 3d, after about the 3rd lane, I never heard another peep from her and she hasn't put on a glove since. Trick is finding the right tab, I shoot a pretty high poundage bow and I need a pretty thick tab, Bateman Cordovan leather tabs are the ticket for me, my gal prefers the Black Widow tabs, they both have a double layer of leather. My buddy made me a tab, it's from a single layer of pretty good leather and I tried it and couldn't use it cause it wasn't thick enough, so I put it aside, have been using it lately on a low poundage bow that I shoot in the basement for working on my form, really liking it, wish I could find one designed like it with a double layer of leather. Oh and yes I use mine for elk hunting!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Your question is fine. It is something I've thought about much.  I've only dabbled with elk hunting and wasn't using either one when I doing that dabbling.

However I open gates, climb trees, mess with video cameras, etc. when I deer and turkey hunt. I've done these things with gloves and tabs.  

I shoot a tab for only one reason, with a glove I had sore fingers, with a tab I don't.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Just got one of the Fred Echler tabs, works great.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Buy a piece of latigo leather and make your own. Simple, inexpensive and custom fit. Once I started making my tabs and carrying a spare I quit losing them.

From a Rob DiStefano post:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scott Teaschner:
I feel the tab gives you a better advantage because you can flip it to the back side of your hand. You then can use your hand normally where a glove makes it harder to do things.  
Bingo
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
I went to a hair tab and will never go back to hunting with a glove. I have an improved release using hair tabs and they are very easy to use wearing fingerless gloves too, a big plus.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©