3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Success Turkey Hunting with Ghillie Suit???  (Read 150 times)

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
Success Turkey Hunting with Ghillie Suit???
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Hey guys, just made myself a ghillie suit to try this year Turkey hunting.  Was wondering has anyone had success this year using a ghillie? Any hunt info or tips would be awesome. Thanks!
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Success Turkey Hunting with Ghillie Suit???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I started hunting with a ghillie (leafy suit) last year and I love it! One morning I got caught in a bad spot by a flock of toms and jakes that I sneaked up on after being unsuccessful at calling them in. I had cover on one side at first but they circled around me and came out into the open on my exposed side. I was facing the wrong way and I couldn't move. They stood and stared at me for long minutes without so much as a putt. Finally, I lost it and swung on them and took a shot (missed). Of course that set them running but I'm sure that they had no idea what that leafy lump was until I moved.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Success Turkey Hunting with Ghillie Suit???
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Not yet this year, but I'll let you know after my opener this weekend.  ;)  

The suit is hot and can be noisy to move in as it collects brush and snags branches.  I carry it with me, along with 1 decoy, and use it like I would an improptu pop-up blind.  It is just easier to get into and I do not feel like I am "stuck in a box".

The set up is important.  You need cover BEHIND you to break up your form.  Cover in front is not as big a issue.

Look at this photo which I am relatively out in the open with just a few poplar tree trunks:

Then look at me in this pic when I have a brushpile in back of me:

The suit is just another kind of camo, so cover and movement is important.  Draw the bow when the bird is behind a tree or the fan blocks his view.

PS - I will have a different quiver (side) and dark fletched arrows when I hunt also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©