3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far can I shoot a deer before penetration becomes an issue?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far can I shoot a deer before penetration becomes an issue?
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
You guys don't get so upset. I find it good, interesting discussion, other than the people who turn it into how far you SHOULD shoot rather than how far you CAN shoot.

Somebody with a big block of foam, a 200 yard field, and some time needs to go do some penetration tests for us.

"I" think penetration is going to be pretty minimal at the end of a bow's range unless you're shooting a very, very heavy arrow. But that's just my guess.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Ok, another late to the party because I saw a landmined field ahead of me. It was a great question, because it was not about how far he could push his limits, but a thought experiment.  That is how we have advanced as far as we have as a species.  Imagine if the first guy who thought of the bow had posted a question on the atlatl forum about sending a shorter lighter spear with a bent stick and string.  Any one who is here to learn through reading is taking some time to think.  As teacher I can tell you that only a small percentage   choose  to learn by reading.  Unlike hunter ed classes where they are made to go. I have enjoyed the read, even the controversy.  Thanks for posting it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Also late to the party.  And a litte tongue-in-cheek.  Based on a lot of posts here, it would seem that it doesn't matter.  If you have a sharp broadhead, and put the arrow in the perfect spot, then everything will be OK, out to the range of your bow.

But, if you don't put the arrow in the perfect spot (which no one ever does, of course), then ...
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
A compound friend of mine years back tried to figure out the same thing with very light and short carbon arrows.  He practiced at his long shots until he had some confidence, then bought a chrono from a friend. He backed off the measured distance of his bottom pin and shot to see how much speed the the arrow still had in it so he could decipher how much energy it had. He found that he had enough energy to totally destroy his chronograph with just one shot. He did have the right idea, how much speed did the arrow retain on long shots. I think the answer is about as far as a hunting arrow will fly is enough for deer.

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
A compound friend of mine years back tried to figure out the same thing with very light and short carbon arrows.  He practiced at his long shots until he had some confidence, then bought a chrono from a friend. He backed off the measured distance of his bottom pin and shot to see how much speed the the arrow still had in it so he could decipher how much energy it had. He found that he had enough energy to totally destroy his chronograph with just one shot. He did have the right idea, how much speed did the arrow retain on long shots. I think the answer is about as far as a hunting arrow will fly is enough for deer.
Now thats funny!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
'Ya think the atlatl guys figured the bow guys were nuts for shooting arrows that were so much lighter and way faster? I'll bet they figured we would never get enough penetration and 100 fps was too fast to be accurate!?    :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©