3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What BH would you choose for elk?  (Read 648 times)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What BH would you choose for elk?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
I was actually using an arrow that was like 675gr. The blood trail was actually OK for a shoulderblade hit. I didn't bareshaft my arrows back then, and I didn't quite get to full draw. That's part of why I'm going down 10# in bow weight. I know now that my arrow wasn't flying that great, and hitting the shoulderblade sure didn't help! I'm going to be a lot more anal about tuning from now on. I was overbowed, I wouldn't admit it then, but I think I can't avoid it now. So I believe strongly that this was a tuning problem. They looked like they flew OK, and I know that not hitting full draw screwed me up big time. The problem was me, not my setup.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
Dave is right on the money. I live in Montana and have killed alot of elk. But I have also been in on alot of elk kills with my hunting partners. I've seen elk killed with 2,3 and 4 blade heads. But the one thing that seems to be the most consistent is a heavier arrow. Your basic whitetail set up will kill and elk...But most hard core western elk hunters don't use thier whitetail set up. I shoot an 80 lb longbow with arrow weight around 650 grains with a 4 blade Magnus Stinger. Arrow speed is right at 200 FPS. In truth I should be shooting a heavier arrow, but one thing is certain, I defintely won't shoot a lighter arrow! Most of my hunting partners shoot heavy arrows 650 plus grains and either Magnus or Zwickey 2 or 4 blades. My advice (for what its worth) Shoot a heavy arrow, sharp cut on contact head, take only a high percentage shot and stay away from the shoulder!

Best, Peter

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
Mr. Chuck-
For those of us that occasionally miss, a sharp broadhead and a heavy arrow is very important.  For those of you who never miss, a blowgun dart should be sufficient.  I tend to go with what I have seen with my own eyes and what the experts tell me, which is heavy and sharp.

brack

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
brakshooter,  I didn't mean to ruffle sensitive feathers here.   Two blade, four blade, heavy or light, I feel that accuracy is most important. That comes with becoming one with your equipment, whatever the set up is.  I spend a lot of time shooting, and when I draw on an animal,  there is no question or doubt in mind about the shot. I pick my shot carefully, and my equipment is up to the game hunted.  Whether it's up to anyone else's idea of a good set up is a matter of opinion.  It's works for me!

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
mr chuck-
I feel the same way about my setup that you do about yours.  You are absolutly correct: practice and feel is the most important thing in our sport.  I shot a deer a few years back where the arrow hit an unseen limb and resulted in a less than favorable hit.  But thanks to a strong broadhead, heavy arrow, and alot of luck to hit the artery I hit, it went down in 80 yards.  No feathers ruffled here, you know where I am coming from.

brack

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
FWIW...

Your 480-grain carbons at 212 fps have 48 ft-lbs of Ke and .4512 lb-sec of momentum.

My 520-grain carbons going 194 fps have 43 ft-lbs of Ke and .4473 lb-sec of momentum. Less that your setup on both accounts.

Tipped with a 2-blade cut-on-impact broadhead, last September I shot completely through the chest of a broadside Canadian bull moose. The arrow went between the ribs on the entrance side and split an offside rib vertically before flying off into the bush.

In short: I personally wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with your setup, but that's with well-tuned carbon arrows.

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Hey Craig... honestly either setup should be fine with sharp heads and well tuned arrows...For me I use the two blade just in case I do hit bone...
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©