3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk questions  (Read 228 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk questions
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
Just keep it flying straight and your good, IMO.  I've seen lesser arrows blow through elk and much bigger arrows from heavier bows get one lung.  Be accurate, good arrow flight and stay away from awkward angles.  Have fun!

I've been all over the quiver gamut, but have settled for now on a 3 arrow bow quiver.   Especially for elk!  Rabbits and squirrels...that would be a 25 arrow back quiver  :) .
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
The last elk I shot at would be dead with a 600 gr arrow.  Mine were heavier and went under!!! Oops. Also, they don't hear the shot from a Hill bow.  If my shaft hadn't whacked her I would have had another shot.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Yeah 70" is a tad long.   I shoot my elk standing up with my back to a tree.  If you do that you're fine.

My buddy likes to shoot from his knees, however he shoots a 58" recurve.  70" from your knees would be tough without really canting.  

Regarding poundage and arrow weight... I'm in the heavy and heavier category.

I have personally been involved in several woundings (mostly my partner  :)  ) Penetration or shoulder hits were the issue every time.  A mature bull IS thick skinned and heavy boned.  

This has been debated repeatedly on here and most agree that bulls are easy to kill with double lung shots and very difficult to kill with anything less.  

Good luck.  (start training physically NOW!)  You'll thank yourself in Sept.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©