3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rube POWELL fletching jig - anybody?! [PICS added]  (Read 255 times)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Rube POWELL fletching jig - anybody?! [PICS added]
« on: July 29, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Hi Oldtimers    :D  

I would like to know more about the Rube Powell fletching jig and really hope there is someone out there who has seen one, or better used it?

* Was it available for sale or custom build in limited numbers - or just one in existance?
 * Besides the looks, is there any (hair splitting) advantage over the Bitzenburger?

I guess I like the ?milled full aluminum body. It looks just like a nice toy to me    ;)  
I think I have seen one for sale - some years ago - at the auction site?! But I am not sure of it right now. Anyhow, this unique fletching jig is pictured from different angles in an article from Bob LEARN in Archers Digest (1971: 124-126), edited by Jack LEWIS. Those of you who happen to have this nice book at hand may want to have a look in there?!

According to the text in Archers Digest, Rube Powell was then of Chula Vista, California and known for being five times Field Archery Champion.
Any info on this interesting tool is appreciated. And if somebody should have one of these and wants to let it go, PM me! I think I would like to give it a try.

Falk

Offline DWRay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rube POWELL fletching jig - anybody?! [PICS added]
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
When I was 13 years old (many years ago) Rube taught be how to shoot.  I used to hang out at his Archery Shop in Chula Vista all the time.  I observed him using that fletching jig on numerous occasions but never used it myself.  After his death, his shop was sold and if there is any of his items left, they would be with his grandson who lives in Chula Vista.  However I do not know how to reach him. Wish I could be of more help to you.
Walk softly and carry a big stick bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:32:00 AM »
Dennis,
this is just amazing - thanks for your reply! I had hoped for something like this, but honestly, I had not thought I would get that close to it - so fast!
I add some pictures below which I took from Archers Digest (1971). For all others to see what we are talking about. This might bring back some memories - especially for you!

One more question though:
 * Does anybody know if this was Rube Powells invention or did it come from elsewhere - maybe was advertised under a different name?

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
The jig you refer to could have sold to someone also. I remember his son(?) selling the contents of the store after Rube passed.
Rube was a wealth of information and if you showed him the respect he was due he would share it with you. We here in San Diego area miss him.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
I bought two of Rube's Jo Jan multi fletchers from his son. Still have one!  He was a great guy and always available to help.  I can still see him shooting the King Arthur shoot in Balboa.
I don't know the answer tot he question of who invented the jig, but I have good memories of Rube.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
i knew rube quite well also. i used to 'hang around' his shop.

when he died his son cleared his shop and took equipment back to colorado with him that was not sold. he died not long afterward, too.

as far as i know, he took all of rube's jigs with him.

mike lambert, another dear friend of rubes, had one given him by rube. mike died recently. i do not know what happened to the jig he had. i borrowed it from mike in an effort to have it duplicated and was told by a machinist friend it would be very difficult and expensive to duplicate.

rube had the jigs constructed especially for him and his application and was very protective of them.

as far as i know, they (the jigs) were not generally for sale to the public per se.

i would suspect they passed to rubes son and grandson...

i, too would like to have been able to get one.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline DWRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Falk, Don W. are the best of friends and old hunting partners.  We used to go together to Rube's shop, but Don spent more time with him than I did.  So Don would know better than anyone the answers to your questions.  Good Luck in your search.
Walk softly and carry a big stick bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Falk, I was talking to another long time friend of Rube. I made mention of this thread. He reminded me that at the time those jigs were made San Diego had alot of people that worked in machine shops to support the ship yards and aerospace people. He said Rube know doubt knew many of them and was able to get the jigs made. Those talents have moved on or passed away as has those jobs. Too bad, I was not aware that Rube`s son had passed.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
Don, Dennis and Thomas,
it seems to me as I asked the right questions in the right place    :thumbsup:   Thanks so much for getting this one straight.
Certainly sad to learn that all those men are dead by now    :(    

Since long I use my Bitzenburger and it does a good job. But as said earlier, I like the looks of the Powell jig and thought, playing around with one must be fun. When Mr. Powell had the jig(s) custom made and never sold in numbers, then it's very unlikely that I will ever see one.
But thanks again for all the insights and background informations on this now obviously historical fletching tool.

Falk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©