3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Tactics and Tips?  (Read 27494 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Tactics and Tips?
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Any new tips guys???
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Maybe I can find the time to hunt birds this year....always seems I'm either busy or have the opportunity to hunt hogs when it's turkey season. Of course, hogs come first   :D  

Would love to hear more tips, just in case.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Sometimes it is better to do no calling while the birds are still roosted. Wait till there on the ground. Calling to them while there still roosted prolongs (not always) their fly down.

The old gobbler will stay roosted till he sees hen/hens under the roost tree. I usually have my turkey wing with me and just use that, without a (vocal) fly down cackle. Don't even need a turkey wing , just use your cap and flap it a couple times against your pants leg.

Drives um bonkers   :bigsmyl:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Hey, Curt, can't find your string tracker set up how-to this year. Any way to get that back?
Went scouting this morning and found birds on two properties I have access to. You should've seen the grin on my wife's face when a gobbler answered her wingbone call. This is her first year going after turks. We'll be set up on a likely travel route next Saturday morning!
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I wholeheartedly agree with using a string tracker.Why not use something that will help find a less than perfectly hit bird.Turkey's are tough,with hard bones,and very small kill zones.Depending on the angle of the shot,it goes from small to smaller!!
 I will always attach the tracker to my arrow if time permits.This bird from last fall would have never been found without my string tracker.I mean never,it would have been impossible to even have a clue where it was after it ran,then flew off.It was still alive when I found it,but I got it,thanks to the string leading me right to it,and letting me know I had my hands full with a bird that was still alive by the string moving when I got close!!  My shot wasn't one of my better one's,and this bird would have gone unrecovered and died had it not been for the tracker......

go to the "how to" forum and look at "string tracker and trad bows"  for more info about how I attach it to my bow and wood arrows.........
Hey Curt, I can't find this either. I know I saw it a couple of year ago but a search doesn't how up anything. I'd really like to read that again.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Lot's of great information gentleman. There's been a little bit of information on broadheads and string tracker, but what are you guys using for bow weight and arrow weight? Other recommended heads besides Landsharks and big Snuffers?  

The bird I'm holding was with a 60# Super Shrew, Arrow Dynamics Traditional heavy shaft and grizzly broadhead (although now I use 3 blade head).
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Sorry guys....I took it off TG when I found out the article was coming out of courtesy to TBM (April/May '07)....I thought I saved it to post again at a later time,but now I can't find it     :knothead:  

I'll type up a condensed version with pix and get it posted....

My best new tip would be to get a strutting tom decoy!!!!!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Curt SIR...A REFRESHER on attaching the string to the arrow might be a GREAT TIP for some  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
JC, I've just spent the first two mornings of season looking for them on NF land and have called two birds up both mornings in creek bottoms where the new grass is coming up.Jake too far out first morning and got busted trying to draw this morning. I'll carry my DB from now on. For the next two weeks that new grass will be good to set up on. I'll do that before heading to a gobbling bird this early in the season because everyone else is heading to them and I would rather be where he is planning on going than busting him off roost. Worked the last two mornings if I can only do my part and close the deal I'll be eating smoked breast.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
If he don't shoot a tree!!!  :biglaugh:
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Yep Mike, I am pretty good at sticking them trees as well but have been on a tree drought here lately. That was a classic stalk on that tree though you got to admit.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Yeah it was  beautiful! I did that about 15 yrs. ago on a big gobbler , 15 yards away blowed up with his tail to me. I swear I didn't see that tree.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
Great advice here (especially that bowsite article!)

This is my first time EVER so I need to learn as much as possible.

Do y'all think that my Samick longbow 45# will be fast enough?

I've scouted my friend's land and seen 50 birds strutting around and traveling the same path at night fall.  Drove the ATV right up to them and could almost reach out and smack'em on the head.

Should I set up a blind there (guess I'll need to get one of those).

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Great thread- revived....
I remember reading the post about connecting the string to the arrow using velcro.  Take a small strip of the "hard side" sticky velcro and wrap around the shaft just behind the broadhead.  Tie your string around this and just spin the arrow a couple times to get the string into the loops.
Whitebuffalo dropped me off a tracker after shooting a touch low on a nice gobbler last year and not getting him.  He made a bracket that mounts to my riser with strong rubber bands, or leather string.  Got my draw tag for the first hunt, and have been shooting a bit just warming up, can't wait!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I got a question, Ihear lots of different opinions on where exactly to shoot a bird and rather or not to chase a bird after he's hit.  Do most of  yall shoot for the top of the "drum sticks", or the wing but?  And if a turkey flies or runs off do you go after him or just give him time?  Thanks.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
ttt, not to rush you curt but could you please show us the string tracker how-to?!?!?

Thanks, Zane

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
Back to the top, and to answer the question about Walmart not selling turkey gear anymore.  Here in NC they only sell it in stores where they believe the market is strong enough.  The stores here in Raleigh no longer carry it but the rural Walmarts do.  It's been that way here for a couple of years now.

Doug

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Is the Game Tracker the referred to "string tracker"? I have the perfect 'curve, with a stabilizer insert just waiting to kill a Tom. I just dont want to buy the wrong thing. $16 seems way too cheap....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
ishi- yep, gametracker with screw mount will work on your bow with the insert.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline finger lakes bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Early season with the leaves off I will go out at dusk, fully camoed and glass for roosted birds.  I will go to the spot a full hour before sunrise and sit.  They fly right to the decoy from the roost and I shoot them.  Have not done it with a recurve yet but this year is my year.  Not many people are into turkey hunting near me so the pressure is almost nonexistent and I live in an ag area so the population is very healthy.  I shoot my two birds last year within the first few mins of the first two days of season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©