3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Tactics and Tips?  (Read 27495 times)

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Tactics and Tips?
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
posted by Dagator  
If one calls too early, in an attempt to get the lead hen/(the flock)to walk in a certain direction, she will take the flock in the exact other direction (180*). The hens don't want competition!  
Dagator,I have to disagree with you on this to a certin extent.It is possible to read the hens just as you read the gobblers.Some hens are very aggressive,while some passive,and this can be applied to the boss hen as well.If you want to call in a flock you are right the boss hen dictates.You need to appeal to her,and either coax her in be it to socialize,or to fight it out.Now this is a tougher read than an old Tom,but it can be done,and with some consistency.

I take a lot of guys in the early season here in the SC lowcountry (3/15 opener)and the birds are usually flocked heavily during this time.Most of all our hunts depend on if we can call the hens in or not.

It worked this morning like a charm,at 6:50 am,and got my cousin this fine longbeard

Generally what I do is start by matching her calls,exactally,I mean in cadence and tone.I will start with that if she seems to start to get aggressive,I get a little more aggressive.It isn't fool proof but works a good percentage of the time.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
I followed Guru's advice last year and used the string tracker. Worked great on this jake, my first bow killed turkey. He made it about 100 yards but was easy to find by simply following the string. You can see the tracker mounted on the bowquiver in this pic...

LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Wally    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
Sweet!I can't wait to get enough confidence in my shooting to take my longbow after turkeys!

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »
I took my 14th bird with a traditional bow this season & have never used a string tracker,but I like the idea of it,have had a couple that were nightmares trying to recover,were do you guys buy your string trackers?,I may try one this spring,but need to get one so I can practice with it.......
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline DAGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
Joel-
Thanks for the invite. Chris and I would love to get with you on a mid-season turkey hunt. He and I have both been selected to hunt second week on Chickasawhatchee. Anytime after second week would be great. Lets talk more about it more.

Southernarcher-
Yes, I agree with you that it can be done. Like I said, I hunt public land and the turkeys get a lot of pressure. I simply have found that it is easier for me to call in a lonesome Tom, in late morning, than a hened up bird in the early morning. I guess my point is to "stay at it" longer than just an hour or two because late mornings can be the ticket. Kudos on the fine turkey you called in for your cousin. I'll try your call for call tactic this season.
Clay

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
Bluegrass, You can find all you need including the heavier 30# line at...

turkeyhuntingsecrets.com

Good people!!

By the way,congrats on all the birds bud!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks Curt.....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
Dagator,I hunt alot of public myslf,and found that your calling tactics can be a big factor in drawing toms to your setup.Now there are many different ways to coax a tom in after flydown,and many different scenarios,I usually draw more toms in with very aggressive calls on public land.

Good luck with the henned up Toms!

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
One tip I can give you on birds crossing water is to find the spot they like to fly or glide across. It maybe a high point or ridge. I've walked birds down a river 1/2 mile to a ridge were they just glide across. They have a point were they cross. Another tip is when leaves are full in woods if hear a bird gobble he's closer than you might think. Don't move in to close. Also when they're still on the roost a gobbler like's to turn around on the limb and gobble and this makes it sound like he's way off but he not. Morning air can fool ya. Anyway good luck to all in the coming season. Mike

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
What kind of seat do ya'll use inside your popup blinds? I've been using a foldup camping type chair with a back that I got from Walmart. It works pretty good but I have to be real careful when I move in it 'cause the material its made of is kinda noisy....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2006, 07:21:00 AM »
Wally, I use the folding tri-pod chair that DB sells.It has a back rest and is pretty comfy as long as your not a tall guy.You can get the same chair at big camping supply stores.Only 3#'s I believe....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »
I just got the DB 3 legged stool this year, other wise I was using a 4 legged from Sam's I will say the 4 is more comfortable but it's easier to shoot from the 3.
I am wondering if I am the only one that likes to wait for the birds to return to roost.
I have had good success waiting in the evenings near a roost site. Possible using a deke or two and virtually no calling.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
I like a folding chair, then I fold it up and shoot off my knees. Being able to rotate around in the blind and shoot out any window really improves your odds.

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »
These are picture of the birds I have taken the last three seasons. I can't tell you how much my success has changed since I started shooting large diameter broadheads, shooting off my knees, and what I call "window management"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »
Nice birds Bishs!!!     Big BH's    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »
The first turkey picture I posted is from central Kansas. I believe this is a "hybred" based on the color of the feathers on the lower part of the tail. They have hybred turkeys in that area. Basically Easterns on the east side of Kansas and Rio Grandes to the west, and the hybreds in between. Turkey hunting in Kansas is nothing short of fabulous, Darryl and I hunt there every spring, before pursuing our turkeys here in Michigan.

Offline bishs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©