3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 18th century knife for bow hunting?  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
18th century knife for bow hunting?
« on: October 24, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
I just got this new riflemans knife hand forged by Mike Mann of Idaho Knife Works. I sent it to Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Trading and had him make a period correct sheath.

I know the 9" blade is too big to be practical and the quilled and beaded sheath is too fancy to carry in the woods but....pleasssse tell me I should take it hunting.   :pray:  

Here's what Chuck said about the knife and sheath,

"The sheath liner is double thickness elk rawhide with a braintan buckskin piece sewn into place at the inside top. The cover is braintan buckskin dyed with walnut hull dye. The sash flap is a piece of buffalo rawhide. All sewing was done with linen or hemp thread or real elk sinew. The beads are antique 8/0 pound beads. The style and porcupine quillwork decoration is based on a couple of existing original 18th sheaths. The quills were dyed with natural dyes: the black/brown quills were dyed with a mix of walnut hulls and ground charcoal, the red with red ocher, and the yellow with rabbit brush, a local southwest member of the sunflower family. The cone tinklers are handmade brass with buffalo hair tufts, They are attached with linen cord through copper and antique glass pound beads."
BTW - the blade is based on the one excavated at Ft. Ticonderoga."

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 18th century knife for bow hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
Beautiful knife, but it DOES need just a bit of blood on it.

Take it out for a walk in the country Ron...it deserves to be christened....
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
well now I think ya should take it hunting.  Come on down here to Fort Worth.  I got a sounder of pigs connered.  One or two of 'em are just about the right size to put your knife to the test.  :) .  I'll be happy to hold the dog and your coat while ya take care of 'em  :)  oh and mamma may be a little big to try the knife on.  I had a shot at her Sunday night and passed.  :)   I didn't have a clue how I'd get sumpin that big out of the boggy bottoms!!

rusty

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
Ron,
I know where you're coming from.....I have a few customs that I would be very upset if they were scratched or dinged.  I could definitely see myself pulling something like that out around the campsite or campfire to spark some conversation. I once read a comment on a custom knife forum that made sense to me, either get satisfaction from using it, or keep it in mint condition in hopes of making money on it for resale or trade.  There is nothing gained if it were to sit in a safe or display case.  That knife is just asking for some history which may make it even more special.  Besides, a 9" blade makes a perfect camp knife...she's a beauty.  I love Chuck's sheaths.
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:46:00 PM »
Ron,

Bring it to camp. I'll use it to slice apples for the apple pie.   :D  

Greg says he'll have camp meat hanging by tomorrow night, so we could use it as a boning knife too.   :biglaugh:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
Ron.  much of what we do is done because of the feelings it gives us.  I could shoot a deer every day with a rifle, but that gives me no feelings.

If carrying that beauty imparts any feeling at all of pride, of delight or even just a good feeling of the weight of it in your belt, then wear it next hunt.  You can't take it with you in the end, enjoy it on the journey there.
Chuck

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 12:05:00 AM »
If carrying that beauty imparts any feeling at all of pride, of delight or even just a good feeling of the weight of it in your belt, then wear it next hunt. You can't take it with you in the end, enjoy it on the journey there.
Good words Chuck.

I'd take it huntin.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »
Well spoken Chuck!!!
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 01:17:00 AM »
Don't put it down in front of me when I'm eating or you might see sparks flying off that and the fork I'm holding; if I'm real hungry   :bigsmyl:  
I't make me smile to see you pull it out and carve the Thanksgiving turkey.
For really, it's a beauty!
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »
I'd say you should use it at least one time. What is the point of having some thing you never use. It sure is nice.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline RickD

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 05:23:00 AM »
Well I think you should use it at least once..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arsenic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 05:26:00 AM »
Hi guys. My opinion is use it. I'm a pipe smoker and there's plenty of people that buy these fancy pipes and never smoke them 'cause they look "too nice to smoke." BS!!! It's a tool that was created to be used!

But that's just me  :)  Perhaps it does have more value to you as an art piece or you could make some money off it down the road if it's in pristine condition. Only you can utimately make that call. If it was me, it'd get used.

Happy hunting.
Ron

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »
NO you should not take it hunting. Send it to me and I'll take it hunting. Sides you got plenty of knives to take  LOL. Heck Ron take her with ya that is just a great knife and Sheath. I love when you post pics of all them knives.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 07:05:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
....pleasssse tell me I should take it hunting.    :thumbsup:  

that is a REAL beauty!!!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
The original was found at Fort Ticonderoga you say. Well based on it's ancestor, it would be an insult to not use that knife. Take it hunting like it is meant for. A knife like that gets character marks not dings.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 08:45:00 AM »
Wow!   :notworthy:      :notworthy:      :notworthy:  
That is beautiful!!! - the knife and the sheath both...

I'd take it hunting - nothing is more beautiful than when we're using it for its true purpose.  You'll get more enjoyment carrying it than you ever will looking at it.
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 09:22:00 AM »
Ron, you  know you are going to carry it hunting - even if everyone of us screamed, "NOOOoooooo...," at the top of our upper case. Sure is a beauty and that sheath is just unreal. It's funny, as a younger man I always wore a sheath knife on my belt (as a kid, my Ma used to have to check me everytime we went anywhere "dressed up" to see if I had one on) anytime I was in the woods or on the water for any reason. In the MC I always wore a K-Bar "in the field" and had a Cutco fishing knife and a Cutco hunting knife for those occasions. Now, as an older dude, I strongly believe in my Bug Away suit and so I can't get to my belt any more - LOL - besides I quite often have a fanny pack on, with little extra room on it. So, now my sheath knives are ashamedly relegated to my packs and/or my truck's extended cab area and I stick a folder in my pocket. Kinda sad, huh    :(  

TAKE IT HUNTING, HOSS!
(and send me an unpublished pic of you at full draw for my new section of my web site - I ain't lettin' ya off that easy - See the "I Have A Vision" thread in the Shooters Forum, please.    :)   )
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
Nice knife, and a great sheath. Almost too perdy to hunt with.

Ron,I sent you a pm.

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
Ron,

That is one fine looking setup you have. I would like to think it will be used with great pride in the craftsmen who made them.

As usual your photography is top notch. Worthy of any magazine.

Ivan
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
When I grow up, I want to be like Mr. LaClair!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©