3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 18th century knife for bow hunting?  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 18th century knife for bow hunting?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
Great looking knife Ron, and a lot of history there. If it were me, I would use it. I to am a knife nut. I can't pass up a good looking knife, I got more then any man needs, but I still keep getting more, and I use every one of them.
Good hunting, and skinning.
John.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »
I would get a "woods" sheath made for outdoor excursions.  I think a design similar to the sheath that Osagetree made (in his homemade equipment thread) would suit this knife well.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »
I was planning on taking it to the woods no matter what was said so thanks to all of you for confirming that I'd be doing the right thing.   :wavey:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Use it. I didn't buy your Samurai to hang on a wall. I must say it has done well in the field. Bloody it Ron. Mike

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
Hey Ron,
  I see Wild Rose has a whole    web page   dedicated to your 18th century "toys"
NICE!

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
Now that's a stunning bit of cutlery, right there! Congrats Mr LaClair. What are you going to use it for if not hunting?  :D  :D  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »
Ron,

Big strappin boy as you are, Bro, you could just wear that as a "neck knife" and keep that fancy period sheath protected under yer shirt!   :knothead:      :eek:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
By the size of Ron, it could easily double for a fancy toothpick...

I say blood that puppy!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »
heck yeah ron take it to the woods!AND if I was you I'd have a ss GOLD in my hand!! Heck with a knife like that you might as well go after bear.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
awesome knife and sheath YEAH DONT BE A WIMP TAKE IT HUNTING LOL!!!  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Jake H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Hear hear!

I think it would be a tragedy to deny that knife time in the field.  Pie is meant to be eaten, women to be loved, and knives to be used.

Jake
(who wouldn't waste the effort to put on his pants in the morning if there wasn't a knife on them)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
Hey Ron,
I see Wild Rose has a whole web page dedicated to your 18th century "toys"
NICE!  
Oh Oh !...the jig is up     :eek:  ...    :o       :o  

:goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
Thank you, Ron - I'll be watching for it and get it posted for everyones enjoyment post haste.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »
I was aware Ron had a knife problem!! But after seeing that web site it's a bigger problem than I visioned. Nice stuff!!! That new one's a real beauty indeed but take it huntin Ron. Your new addition is the nicest knife/sheath combo I've seen in a long time. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hunt it

Offline Randallnthesand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »
It is a beauty and I just bet will even more special after a few miles on your belt and well earned blood on it.

BTW.. new here but already it feels like where I should have been a while back.

Randall

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »
Use it the only fear is losing it out in the wilds, but then you are only giving it back to the universe.That is a decent and honorable loss in the right places. To lose it without ever using it would be a miserable shame. I lost a good knife with plenty of history, it had been in the family 80 years, to a thief who walked into my house one day. Walked out with my hunting/guide pack full of gear. Grim rage and bitter misery as it had been my dad's and he only used it once in the wilds of the remotest bits of Botswana in the sixties. I used it on on many trips and several hunts and skinned and slaughtered my first animal with it. Now I am so glad that I did too. Glad too that he also used it some. Sad that it is almost guaranteed to be used in crime here in our fabulous country.

Offline Naked in NH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Met a guy that finds chert arrow heads, hafts them to an arrow, resharpens the edge, and hunst with them.  I told him I thought it was a waste as they were valuable and too cool to lose etc.  He said that they were meant for hunting and he got a kick out of it.

In the end, I saw that he had a point (no pun)
-pablo
making shavings in the 603

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »
The knife NEEDS to be blooded!!!!!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
After 10 days in deer camp carrying my new knife, I found it's more than just a pretty trinket, it is very functional and easy to carry. This type of sheath with the "frog" or flap that goes over the belt or sash rides very comfortably in any position plus it gives quick access to the knife.....what can I say...I love it.

I think I'm set for knives for awhile...  :rolleyes: .....   :biglaugh:    

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
Ron, do you have a closer pic of the sheath/holster for your hawk?  I've been trying to get one 'just right' and that one looks like it rides very well....

And (as you know) just when you THINK you're set for knives for a while you'll find "just one more" that you really "need"  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©