3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 18th century knife for bow hunting?  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 18th century knife for bow hunting?
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
Jason, there's a picture of the hawk sheath on my web site.
 http://www.shrewbows.com/shrewhawk/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »
"I'm think I'm set with knives for awhile"....Uh-huh...sure...  :saywhat:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »
OK, Ron - Your back now ( LOL - Welcome Back.) I'll be looking for the Full Draw pics. Just a  GENTLE reminder -   :bigsmyl:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »
Bernie, full draw pics??...my dementia must be kicking in.   :confused:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
Ber643 on 25 OCT post, this thread, page 2.

TAKE IT HUNTING, HOSS!
(and send me an unpublished pic of you at full draw for my new section of my web site - I ain't lettin' ya off that easy - See the "I Have A Vision" thread in the Shooters Forum, please.  )

Ron LaClaire on 25 Oct post, this thread, page 2.

Bernie, I'll try and get a picture for you up at deer camp next week  

:D     No "Weaslin'", Ol' Hoss! (Memory lapses are allowed  and  well understood  :bigsmyl: )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »
:o         :o    I plum forgot Bernie...too much stuff on my mind and my brain went into overload I guess.

I'm heading up to the farm today for the last few days of bow season before the gunners hit the woods...I'll see if I can get a shot for you there.

Ron...gettin forgetful in his old age      :banghead:  

PS,  I just wrote myself a note to remind me and put it in the pocket of my huntin pants...now if I just don't forget to take my pants..    :o  ...    :D

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
:biglaugh:  Sounds like me, to me, Ron - though I have done a little better with remembering to take the camera with this year - and then to get it out of the truck and use it -   ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
WARNING!
 ...Viewer discretion advised

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
Ah - so the venerable knife has been blooded - in your capable hands. Ya done good, ol Hoss!   :thumbsup:  

(Now - I'm waiting on "my" pic from you -   ;)  )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
Bernie,...you've got mail

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
LOL - yeah, Ron - I got the PM notice just after I posted that. 1,000 go-mens, my friend, and thank you. Rushing to look, and take care of it now - (exit stage right).

(Oooops - still didn't work yet.)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 06:55:00 AM »
The pics came in during the night, Ron, and are now installed on Page 4 of my Traditional Bows Drawn section. Thank you so much - looo-oookin' gooo-ooood!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »
Anybody else notice that was a BIG knife in it's introductory pics and looks like a fingernail picker lying on that deer!???

Gads, Ron..how fat was that li'l Hoss of a deer?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I am just in awe of that beautiful sheath! I love that quill work and the colors are so vibrant!

Beautiful knife and sheath, just beautiful!  :archer:

Shell

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
yeah, Shell...you think they smoked that elk hide up to make it look old, or soaked it in tea or something..it sure has an aged look to it like it was made in 1800 doesn't it..and the quillwork is flawless...and the edge beading...a real craftsman...but then so are you, Shell.

Your work doesn't take a back seat to anyone's in my opinion.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
as my good friend who collects SA Colts tells me every time we go out shooting

"who more worthy than I to wear the Blue off these babies!"

And thats the same position i take on life! I'm glad you used it and keep it goin, how would you feel if you were the knife? I'd rather be riding on a belt as opposed sitting in a display case or a drawer!

thats probably wierd, but hey... its just my .02!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Here's what Chuck had to say about the sheath and knife.

"The sheath liner is double thickness elk rawhide with a braintan buckskin piece sewn into place at the inside top. The cover is braintan buckskin dyed with walnut hull dye. The sash flap is a piece of buffalo rawhide. All sewing was done with linen or hemp thread or real elk sinew. The beads are antique 8/0 pound beads. The style and porcupine quillwork decoration is based on a couple of existing original 18th sheaths. The quills were dyed with natural dyes: the black/brown quills were dyed with a mix of walnut hulls and ground charcoal, the red with red ocher, and the yellow with rabbit brush, a local southwest member of the sunflower family. The cone tinklers are handmade brass with buffalo hair tufts, They are attached with linen cord through copper and antique glass pound beads."
BTW - the blade is based on the one excavated at Ft. Ticonderoga."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©