3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spotting scope opinion  (Read 477 times)

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
Spotting scope opinion
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I have been thinking of buying a spotting scope for an up and coming Muley hunt. I am considering the Leupold Ventana 20-60x80. What are your guys thoughts on spotting scopes. What do you prefer straight or angled scopes? What spotting scopes would you suggest. I not really wanting to spend a fortune on a scope but something in the mid price range area.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spotting scope opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Personally I don't care for spotting scopes.  They are ok for checking something out, but for really glassing an area from a distance a pair of 15X binoculars is far more comfortable.  I just really dislike having to squint through one eye or hold a hand over it. I get tired of that pretty quickly.

But if you do most of your glassing with your regular binos and just want something to check out an animal that you have located a spotting scope will do that.  I'm with you though - I can't see spending the big bucks for top of the line spotting scope that I won't use for extended periods of time.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
20x60x80 is a big honking scope.  I don't use them anymore, but when I did, I pretty much limited them to 30 power or less.  Heat wave and other distortion becomes more of a problem the higher the power.  However an 80 mm objective lens would help overcome some of that, provided you buy good quality glass, and that's expensive.  That size scope is also quite large/heavy.  Not one you would want to be packing around on your back.  I believe the last scope I had was a 12x40 Leupold Compact Gold Ring. Good scope and moderately priced. Seldom used it above 30 power though.

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
looked through one last week at the NRA convention.  it was crystal clear and good looking to boot!
justin ammons

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I have a buddy that just got one of the  Leupold compacts. They have two different ones,I can't remember the power difference,but they were crystal clear and they weren't very big,and they were around four or five hundred.

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I've been using a Leupold 12-40x60 Gold Ring for years and have been very happy with it, small enough to have in my pack combo with a mini tripod...also won't break the bank.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
I tend to agree with Whip on this.  Spotting scopes can be quite tiring to use with just one eye. My 15X binos are about the same weight as my spotting scope.  A support pod is really needed for both.

I do have a pretty decent and compact spotting scope made by a different maker that I often use when scouting from the truck yet.  Mine is an angled unit and if I were to do it again I would go straight (although it is less compact) because it is a little easier to look through this way.  I also have a variable eyepiece and I really never use it.  Again, if I were to do it all again, I would go with just a straight 15X power eyepiece.  

There is a distinct advantage in using the scope in low light over the binos but the binos are more comfortable over more time "on the glass".

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Out where I live and how I hunt I spend a ton of time behind a spotting scope.I'm amazed over the years how many big deer I've spotted that I would have never found.Your 80 objective is great for real low light conditions when a lot of the big ones are moving.The rest are right though I'm very seldom above 30X.I use a Baush and Lomb Elite 20-60-x70 and like I said WHERE and How I hunt I wouldn't be without it.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Those of us out west use spotting scopes. You can see and ID deer, but at a mile and a half is is he worth pursuing?  Angled scopes are more comfortable.  Binos are definitely even more comfortable, but you may need some extra at times.  At midday the deer and elk bed under trees to escape the heat.  A scope separates them from shaddows.  Just my opinion on if they MIGHT be necessary.  Power and exit objective are in others expertise i have a 45 year old range scope in my pack.  It is slow and cumbersome and that oldie sorts out the critters from stumps. I never needed one back east, but would not go out here without it
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
I used to lug around a 80mm Swarovski on my backcounry bivy hunts, but I've now gone to a 60mm Kowa. It is a KILLER scope, really light and very sharp. I use the 20-60X and use the 60X quite often. Mule deer hunting is my passion, I go at least 2X's per year for the last 15 years and would never consider heading out into the mountains without a scope. The distances I glass, 15X binos just aren't powerful enough. If you aren't willing to hike across country, then maybe you could get by without one. Personally, if I can see it and I want to give chase, he is either in trouble or going to be sleeping in a different canyon when I'm done. I would get the 80mm if you aren't going to be doing a whole lot of cross country travel. I would definitely reccomend the 20-60X, even if you only need to use the 60X occasionally, you'll appreciate it when you need it--so long as you're not hunting it really warm temps where you'll have some heat wave issue.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
I bought a Zeiss 15-45 x 65mm Diascope  10 years ago.  One of the best investments I have ever made.  Spotted a group of sheep in the Yukon at 6 miles.  Knew my ram was good enough to go after at 2 miles.  You can read the newspaper at 100 yards with it...seriously.

I spent a month hunting Bighorn sheep in Colorado in 2007.  The country was so vast I actually spent most of my time glassing with the scope rather than my binocs.  No eye strain.

I went with the angle model and while it takes a little getting used to, I now certainly prefer it.  No matter how you are sitting in the field, the unit is always lower and more stable on the tripod.  Right between your legs.

I have my small tripod set up with a quick release plate to go from binocs to scope.  I just set up a large Bogen to run both at the same time.

I would venture to say most guys that don't care for spotters are not using a super quality unit.  On one trip to Alaska for Caribou, my partner was using a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40...the difference was very easy to see side by side.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
The two Steves and Bivyhunter are absolutely correct. When you go to the vast mountain regions for creatures such as sheep, goats, moose and others, you don't want to be without a good spotting scope! I prefer my Swarovski HD 20-60x80mm, but my best friend got the 80mm Kowa and loves it. He took it on a moose hunt and got one of the top 10 biggest ever to come out of the Yukon. He would never have seen that moose without a large, powerful spotting scope that could resolve the moose from miles away. A spotting scope may bulky and somewhat heavy, but compared to traveling mile after mile in difficult, rough terrain in search of trophy animals, carrying a spotting scope is a breeze. But the highest of quality at very substantial expense is required if you want a scope that will do the job well. That 60mm Kowa would be an excellent compromise when an 80mm scope is too much to carry. I prefer Kowa, Swarovski, Zeiss, and the latest Leica because their optics are "clearly" superior. I do have the small folded optics Leupold, and it is fine for many purposes, but it certainly is not the equivalent of the finest scopes, like those I mentioned. It's not fun to plop down $3K on a scope, but on a $20K hunt, it can be the difference between success and failure, and may be the best money you could ever spend. Remember, great optics will serve you well and will last a lifetime. Amortized over 20 years, a $3K scope is a worthwhile expense.

I prefer straight scopes, because they point where you look, but angled scopes have distinct advantages when the angles of the terrain get steep.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all of the info, this is quite educational. Again, thanks.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
TTT

Offline hood_lum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I prefer products from Vortex Optics. One idea is to get a doubler for your current binos. Basically fits on one eye piece and doubles the power of your binos. I have liked this option when I just needed to see a little bit better in order to decide if I needed to get a closer look. I have an older Skyline ED 20-60X80 and have utilized it over and over. Although it is a bit bulky it has paid off many times to have it both to spot game and take pictures with the optional camera attachment. If you choose to use a larger spotting scope make sure you get a day pack that will have a nice pocket to keep it in. I have seen a lot of people try to just make it work on the fly and it didn't work well. Take the time to make sure your gear will all work together. Dont forget a good light weight tri pod. Stay away from the piston grip ones that lock with a push of a button. This takes time to get used to and seems to not be worth the trouble sometimes. the bigger scopes are pretty heavy for that option. With price being a consideration their Nomad spotting scope might be a good option. It is a light option that has done very well. One reason why I like Vortex is that they have a real warranty and stand behind their products. No prorating or hasssles. I have had issues with Leupold standing behind their products. I also would suggest looking around the various sites for a well cared for used spotting scope. They seem to be a product that people use a few times and then sell. I wish you well in your endevors.
NATURE GIVES AND NATURE TAKES AWAY, AND IT IS NOT ALWAYS EASY FOR FOOLS LIKE US TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.(E. DONNALL THOMAS, JR. "LONGBOWS IN THE FAR NORTH"

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
I love my spotting scope for mule deer spot and stalk hunting, I have a 15-45 x 80 scope, (mine is not a leopold because I could not afford but is what I would have bought).  General Spotting scope use on my hunts seem to be mostly setting up in open prairie areas looking over rougher terrain including draws, ridges, river valleys, brush areas, etc.  I can pin point where the bucks lay down with any lenses (now is where the spotting scope comes in) I now can see which way he is facing, what the bush looks like around him, if there is any unique things standing out where he is laying such as rocks, branches, coloured leaves (while all referencing how his body lays to those features.) this many times is done from several miles away. I also key in on features on my stalking path. When the stalk starts it maybe a mile or two on the other side of him.  Mule deer are relativly easy to stalk, but the can be hard to pin down in heavy bush, from a down ward angle,  especially when dug in.  also when you stalk within their safety zone and has busted you from a sixth sense, you have a second, if you already have pinned vitals with features and are on them you have a chance otherwise you are watching them bounce away.  On a good year I pass up up on 6 to 10 160-180 class deer that I have stalked within 5-10 yards from.  We all set goals and boundarys, I enjoy the stalk and not always the kill.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
Haven't used one in years hunting, only time I pull it out is when I'm behind the 308 for work.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
A spotting scope is great tool. Most of the guys have said why so no need to repeat. My thought are if you cant afford the higher end scopes save your money. The heat distortion and eye fatigure will kill you. I have used some of the Leopold Gold rings and Bruntons mid range and as far as I am cncerned are very hard to use over 10 power. The quality is just not there. You might as well carry around a rock in your pack!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
I should clarify my comments.  In the places that I have hunted most often the spotting scope did not do much for me.  A pair of 15x binos would have been far more useful.  Terrain often does not allow glassing mores than a mile or two at most in the majority of places I have hunted out west.  
If terrain allowed, such as the vast mountain ranges in Alaska, etc., a spotting scope could be very helpful.  But then you also frequently have do deal with the heat wave distortion issue, which makes then ineffective anyway.

Just my opinion that spotting scope ares very limited in where'd they are useful.  It all depends on where and what you are hunting though, of course.  If you need to bed able to count points at 3 miles a scope is your tool.  (Assuming you can see for 3 miles.)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
I use a Leupold mark 4 20x60x80 for everything. It does take some getting used to, and practise to use properly, but like any other piece of critical gear, once you train with it enough and get good, you will not want to go without it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©